GDT: vs The SPAHderrrs

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All set here in Charleston. Pizza and wings on the menu. Goose Island IPA and scotch for when it gets to nail biting stage. If I see Foreman make one ill advised drive and miss a bunny, I'm switching to Nick at Nite and gonna watch Brady Bunch replays. 

One real game of consequence opposite us tonight in the A10 as Rhode Island travels to Palumbo to take on Duquesne.  game  time is 7:00 pm (EST) and the Rams come in favored by 2.  Elsewhere, Fordham goes to Foggy Bottom where Geedubya is favored by 2.5 and La Salle hosts a rematch with Umass where the Explorers are underdogs at home by 2 to a team they already beat on the road.  Hmm.  We are favored by 10.

Dayton easily handled the Joeys last night at the center of the basketball universe as known in SW Ohio by the count of 75 to 64.  No surprise there.  Obi Toppin posted a career high 25 ---- shooting 11-of-14 from the floor.  Of his eleven made shots, all but two were layups and dunks.  This guy has limited game.  But be aware.

51 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Do we think the low temps will effect the attendance tonight? 

Yes, I have been trying to give away 3 tickets with no takers so I figure I will be able to move to the lower bowl for tonight's game.

20 minutes ago, slu72 said:

All set here in Charleston. Pizza and wings on the menu. Goose Island IPA and scotch for when it gets to nail biting stage. If I see Foreman make one ill advised drive and miss a bunny, I'm switching to Nick at Nite and gonna watch Brady Bunch replays. 

Bills with Foreman missing layups > Nick at Nite Brady Bunch reruns.

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I can’t really blame the older crowd for staying away tonight. It’s suppose to be 8 degrees at game time with a 40% chance of snow. 

I solemnly swear that I will not be a puss when I get old.  My lovely wife and will get those tracked scooters if  we get completely decrepit.

-I agree that attendance will be hurt by the severe cold, to that end how about having everything in order to make the ticket scanning and metal detector process as quick as possible? I feel bad already for those folks working the entrances, it will be brutal for them

-I will give a hearty cheer for JGood as he is introduced, hope others join

-but most important, Let's Go Bills!

9 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Cozi TV was running the Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman --  those just might top Foreman layups but that's what DVRs are for....

Don't forget Frazer reruns between 8 and 9pm, humor helps the pain of another missed DJ layup.

Agreed on attendance.  Last game we had ~9,400.  I'm guessing less than 6.5K today.  We're only using 2 of our 6 tickets.  I normally have zero trouble getting my friends to go, or my kids friends to tag along.  

30 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Prediction for the game and the GDT:

Starting lineups are announced and there is a surprise as Wiley is starting. The board complains that everyone is leaving their coat on and the only blue in the arena are the empty seats. The national anthem is solid but generally not memorable. We get off to a hot start as Wiley scores a quick 6 points and Goodwin makes his first two free throws. The board wonders why it took so long for Wiley to start. After taking an early 19-6 lead, we assume all is right in Billiken world and thoughts of an at-large bid creep back into the GDT. But a few bonehead turnovers, some missed layups, and a couple of wide open 3's later, it is 21-21. After a bad turnover and a layup for Richmond, moytoy posts "ballgame". 05 gets mad at him and misses a Fred Thatch dunk because he was posting on the board. SLU escapes with a 30-28 lead at half. Halftime is spent talking about how we are only up by 2 against a terrible Richmond team and how we just aren't a tournament team. The second half begins with the refs forgetting which team should have the ball and we get an unnecessary delay. SLU wins the first 8 mins of the second half and takes an 11 point lead as the clock hits 10:00 left. However, it is a Billiken game. A 1-8 stretch of free throws later and a full court baseball pass out of bounds from Isabell and the game is tied at the under 4 timeout. We start complaining about the officiating and wonder why we are the only team in the country who can't get a good ref. The board is in full meltdown mode but some jack@$$ posts something about how we are all so immature and hot-headed that we can't go through a GDT without complaining. Someone on the board makes fun of the physical appearance of Richmond player because that's easier than facing the reality of the run we just gave up. However, French goes to work in the paint and scores 6 straight points and force a Richmond timeout. The board loyalists quote all the negative posts and tell us that they were never worried. After giving up an easy bucket, we turn it over and then foul Richmond on a made 3. They convert the free throw and the game is once again tied. French fouls out on a horrible call and Ford turns to DJ Fore- NO! It's Elliott Welmer!!! Welmer checks in but SLU is issued a technical foul because Welmer wasn't listed in the scorebook for the game. Richmond takes the lead. Ford calls his last timeout down 2 with 25 seconds left. The board negativists say that even if we win, this team is terrible. The out of timeout play breaks down but Tramaine Isabell drains a 26 foot 3 with 4 seconds left to give us a 1 point lead. Richmond draws up a great play out of the timeout but the inbounder steps over the line. Bills get the ball. Goodwin is fouled and goes to the line for 2 free throws to put the Bills up 3. He misses the first. Ford tells him to miss the second on purpose but he accidentally banks it in. Richmond then throws a completed 3/4 court pass and has a great chance to tie the game but the player travels upon catching the ball. Bills get the ball back with 1.6 seconds left. Goodwin gets fouled again. Swishes both free throws and raises the roof. Bills win. The GDT is not very optimistic but 6 different posters say "a win is a win". 

ballgame.