GDT: vs The SPAHderrrs

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I agree with @brianstl, I don' think we get a lot of open looks. The majority of Bess' 3 pointers are from 2 feet behind NBA range and even those are contested. All of our shots from around the arc seem to be rushed. I guess when you don't really run an offense and have a hard time moving the ball around, you aren't going to get many open shots, even when the defense packs it in.

In my opinion our offense suffers because our spacing sucks and our guys don't move without the ball. Some of it is by design, but I am so sick of watching our guys stand around being spectators. 

We are so f-ing lazy with the ball. Drives me absolutely nuts. When passes aren't on target, it forces our guys to have to reposition and adjust and allows the defense to recover. It happens on every single possession. I have been a huge proponent of recruiting guys who can handle the rock. That skill encompasses dribbling, passing, and superb on-ball decision-making. You can't teach it...either you have it or you don't. And we don't.

And how about we set a proper screen once in a goddamn while!

A lot of this is coaching. A lot of it is personnel. 

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Majerus didn’t come in trying for a quick fix with a bunch of transfers.

Does it matter how he gets it done? He started with a worse roster than Majerus. Why was Majerus successful when he didn't get us to the tourney until year 5, however Ford is not because we might not get there in year 3? 

43 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

We’re you saying the same thing about Majerus at this stage of his SLU tenure? He got SLU into the big dance year 5....and Ford inherited possibly the worst array of talent in the modern era of SLU basketball.

Fair point. But Majerus was Majerus and Ford is Ford. 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Beside looking at Travis on this I think a serious look needs to be taken at the assistant coaches not named Corey Tate. This was either a scouting or implementation break down. 

Disagree, but only that everyone’s not at some fault. I believe Tate clearly had the relationship with Gordon, I agree the risk was worth the reward with him and the others no longer on the team. But regardless not enough shooters were brought in and crazy situations occurred.

e

Numerous fouls were not called on Richmond, especially down the stretch.  Goodwin was clearly hacked at the hoop, no call, but at least SLU ultimately scored on that possession.  Bess pleaded for an and one during a timeout that was not called.  It appeared tonight's refs decided to not reward the more athletic team.

Still tonight's Loss to a lousy team on the home court is simply unacceptable.  SLU probably wins that game had it been played more in the open court, as opposed to a half court game.  Perhaps, with this SLU team, it is time to deep six the slow down, half court game, in favor of a more up tempo, up and down (West Coast style) game.  The problem is depth.  But Hankton showed some promise tonight, and Thatch would be a factor in a more up tempo game.  But it won't happen.

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Numerous fouls were not called on Richmond, especially down the stretch.  Goodwin was clearly hacked at the hoop, no call, but at least SLU ultimately scored on that possession.  Bess pleaded for an and one during a timeout that was not called.  It appeared tonight's refs decided to not reward the more athletic team.

Still tonight's Loss to a lousy team on the home court is simply unacceptable.  SLU probably wins that game had it been played more in the open court, as opposed to a half court game.  Perhaps, with this SLU team, it is time to deep six the slow down, half court game, in favor of a more up tempo, up and down (West Coast style) game.  The problem is depth.  But Hankton showed some promise tonight, and Thatch would be a factor in a more up tempo game.  But it won't happen.

We push the ball worse than French shoots free throws

4 minutes ago, Sweet Lou said:

Disagree, but only that everyone’s not at some fault. I believe Tate clearly had the relationship with Gordon, I agree the risk was worth the reward with him and the others no longer on the team. But regardless not enough shooters were brought in and crazy situations occurred.

e

Ahhh but shooters were brought in. They just aren't here any longer

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

Majerus got derailed and delayed by S1.

Ford has been derailed by S2. 

So my point is still the same. Why was it acceptable for Majerus to take 5 years to get us to the dance and it's not ok if Ford doesn't get us there in 3? 

At the game talking with my dad and wondering how many times a SLU player has scored 30 and we lost.  I remembered 1 Hughes game but no others really came to mind.  So I looked it up.  This was the 73rd game in which a SLU player scored 30 or more points in a game.  Surprisingly we have lost 16 of those game.  I think a 57-16 record in 30 point individual scoring games has to be pretty poor.  SLU is 3-2 in games Hughes scored 30, 2-2 when Wiley scored 30, and 0-2 for Both Love & Jimmy Irving.  Another example of how it is hard being a Bills fan.

30 point games in which SLU lost

3/5/98 74-76 vs UAB Hughes  37

3/4/81 77-84 Florida St - Metro Tourney - Burns 34

12/29/75 Purdue 77-80 - Santa Clara Tourney - McKinney 34

2/18/99 89-92 @ Memphis Love  33

3/7/79 79-94 vs Cincy Wiley 33

12/29/55 80-101 vs Kentucky McLaughlin 33

1/20/98 81-87 @Louisville Hughes 32

12/1/99 68-69 @ K State Love 31

3/4/90 83-87 @ Evansville Bonner 31

1/27/71 76-90 @ Louisville Irving 31

12/12/70 67-68 vs Notre Dame Irving 31

2/28/70 74-82 @ Bradley Wiley 31

1/30/19 81-84 vs Richmond Bess 31

3/12/93 65-73 @ Memphis - GMC Tourney - Claggett 30

12/21/78 79-80 vs South Carolina - Roanoke Tourney - Jim Glass 30

1/31/87 76-78 @ Evansville Roland Gray  30

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

He said the blame lied on both. Are you saying the blame lies solely on Ford? 

Ford has zero, nil, none, nada blame for a college player not being able to shoot free throws. Imo Ford has no blame for Sit 2 or for Santos. As far as Gordon goes, Ford recruited a top 50 player. Every one of us knew of the issues and loved the signing. Now that it hasn't worked out and he left it wasn't good. I'd say if the things I heard were going on were actually going on Fords biggest mistake was not benching him much earlier and telling him to toe the line or suspending him. 

Ford is the coach and he is responsible but the players are responsible for their horrific shooting. Take away Bess and they shoot 55% from the line, and 28% from 3. The players should be able to finish a break or play a game without having 14 turnovers a game. Someone had the turnover per possession stat in another thread. I don't remember it but it has to be close to 1 in 5 possessions. And yes Ford recruited these players but he expected to have an entirely different team and the reason he doesn't is not on him

They are the players Ford chose.  He recruited and signed them.  

I was the guy that posted the turnover stat. A big reason we have a turnover problem is Ford didn’t get a player that can run the offense he wants to run. That is on Ford.  None of the guys that left the program were that guy either.

I don’t think Ford should be on the hot seat, but this is a disappointment so far. 

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Why are we running an offense that requires shooters if we dont have shooters. 

Because opponents know we can't shoot and take our inside game away. French gets doubled every time he touches the ball. I actually would like to see us push the tempo more as Bay Area said. However, in the end I believe we'd still be just as frustrated because we can't finish at the rim or make good decisions on a break

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I was the guy that posted the turnover stat. A big reason we have a turnover problem is Ford didn’t get a player that can run the offense he wants to run. That is on Ford.  None of the guys that left the program were that guy either.

I don’t think Ford should be on the hot seat, but this is a disappointment so far. 

No one said Ford should be absolved from blame. You responded to a Moy post saying Ford and the players were both to blame. Imo Ford's biggest mistake was believing Goodwin could be a pg. which is why we are lacking at the position. That's on Ford. However, Ford doesn't shoot the ball or make stupid passes and many of our turnovers are unforced. That's on the players. 

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

No it isn't. Neither of them leaving is on Ford if the things we think happened actually did happen. 

I think it is the head coach's job to manage — and massage, if necessary — the egos and personalities of the members of his team for the benefit of the best team possible.  That didn't happen with Santos and Gordon, and it may be lacking with Isabell, as well.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Part of the reason it's a disappointment is I believe we overestimated the players. In the end if you'd have told me we'd be right here right now when Ford was hired, I'd have taken it.