GDT: vs The SPAHderrrs

1 minute ago, Clock_Tower said:

No.  Your method of blaming Ford for everything is much better.  

Seriously.  Ford took a risk in the Spring (what choice did he really have?) in getting Isabell, Wiley and then Thor.  You will agree that Fall recruits are usually better and more reliable than Spring recruits? Blame Ford for them not leading us to being A10 Champs.  That's fine.  But Foreman is not good enough either.   And Goodwin has been inconsistent as well.  Let's just say that Goodwin's role would be different with Henrquez, Graves and Bishop -- and I suggest his role will be different next year with Yuri, Jimmerson and Perkins- and we may have 6 more guys as well.

Yeah I still believe Ford is the guy to get us where we want to be. He took over an absolute dumpster fire and we are seeing gradual improvement and the recruiting looks to be good.

I see a lot of complaints about the offense and it’s true, the offense is putrid but I don’t think it’s the design or lack of creativity from Ford, it’s a lack of shooters.

The offense is getting open looks the players aren’t making them.

We miss wide open 3’s and 5 foot bunnies all game long. Throw in the atrocious free throw shooting and it’s a recipe for a sh*** offensive team.

When running an offense the goal is to get open looks. The open looks are there the execution isn’t. 

I like how Ford coaches D, I like how he has tried to use offensive rebounding to help the offense, and I like his recruiting.

I think we get some real shooters in here and the offense will run like a well oiled machine. 

That said this year has been a disappointment and I’m worried about next year. 

Losing an all conference player is going to be impossible to replace and once again we are going to be relying on a bunch of Freshman. Hopefully 1 or 2 can provide some offense but I’m not overly confident.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw losses in our future but not this one. Time for Ford to take a good look at this team and decide who plays based on future goals. I’m not saying throw in the towel but if we find any more success this year I want to see KC and Fred getting serious minutes. I could care less about TI and don’t see Foreman helping us improve this season. If we fail with those guys getting more playing time than so be it. Go bills!

Matty Light and CBFan like this

4 minutes ago, Sweet Lou said:

Ya I think if we are going to salvage this season (a10 tourney), Wiley is gonna be the biggest key as far as wild card. Unfortunately he has been inconsistent as far as shot/injury

I wouldn't say inconsistent. I would say his shot has been consistently bad. His 2 big games skew the numbers but overall he’s been a poor shooter.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I wouldn't say inconsistent. I would say his shot has been consistently bad. His 2 big games skew the numbers but overall he’s been a poor shooter.

Fair point, guess my view point is skew’d based on the overall team 3pt appearance. He just seems to be the next best option behind Bess

25 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

No.  Your method of blaming Ford for everything is much better.  

Seriously.  Ford took a risk in the Spring (what choice did he really have?) in getting Isabell, Wiley and then Thor.  You will agree that Fall recruits are usually better and more reliable than Spring recruits? Blame Ford for them not leading us to being A10 Champs.  That's fine.  But Foreman is not good enough either.   And Goodwin has been inconsistent as well.  Let's just say that Goodwin's role would be different with Henrquez, Graves and Bishop -- and I suggest his role will be different next year with Yuri, Jimmerson and Perkins- and we may have 6 more guys as well.

He could have had Austin. Ford passed.

14 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Yeah I still believe Ford is the guy to get us where we want to be. He took over an absolute dumpster fire and we are seeing gradual improvement and the recruiting looks to be good.

I see a lot of complaints about the offense and it’s true, the offense is putrid but I don’t think it’s the design or lack of creativity from Ford, it’s a lack of shooters.

The offense is getting open looks the players aren’t making them.

We miss wide open 3’s and 5 foot bunnies all game long. Throw in the atrocious free throw shooting and it’s a recipe for a sh*** offensive team.

When running an offense the goal is to get open looks. The open looks are there the execution isn’t. 

I like how Ford coaches D, I like how he has tried to use offensive rebounding to help the offense, and I like his recruiting.

I think we get some real shooters in here and the offense will run like a well oiled machine. 

That said this year has been a disappointment and I’m worried about next year. 

Losing an all conference player is going to be impossible to replace and once again we are going to be relying on a bunch of Freshman. Hopefully 1 or 2 can provide some offense but I’m not overly confident.

I don’t think we get a ton of good looks. 

Just now, moytoy12 said:

And the ones we get are likely a result of the opposing team knowing we can’t shoot

Yep, it sucks that our guards get guarded as closely as center typically do out deep 

Just now, moytoy12 said:

I hear ya, but he did anticipate having two more bigs this year, not to mention a couple of point guards from last year.  But, as you noted above, he could have had a 5 apg pg in Austin.

Gordon and Santos were Ford recruits. It is his job to keep them on campus

37 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Can't wait to take more risks in the Spring and sign.... 3-4 more players??? YAY!!!

He recruited Foreman. He recruited Goodwin. He put the team around them. It's on him. That's his problem. 

It's tiring to say "YEAH BUT JUST WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR! HAVE YOU SEEN [INSERT PLAYER'S] MIXTAPE?? HE'S THE DIFFERENCE."

This season has been an absolute disappointment in every respect (excluding, of course, Bess' phenomenal season) and I'm done with the excuses.

We’re you saying the same thing about Majerus at this stage of his SLU tenure? He got SLU into the big dance year 5....and Ford inherited possibly the worst array of talent in the modern era of SLU basketball.

CBFan likes this

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think we get a ton of good looks. 

Maybe not a ton but they miss some wide open 3’s every game and a bunch of bunnies.

I would more than most teams.

19 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

And the ones we get are likely a result of the opposing team knowing we can’t shoot

19 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I think one reason it seems like we get open looks is that teams know we cant shoot so they pack the paint and force us to beat them with jump shots 

That’s a good point that probably is why they are getting the open looks.

But if they could hit those the offense would change completely.

The poor shooting has doomed this team and as much as I like Ford the lack of shooters on this team is on him.

17 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

We’re you saying the same thing about Majerus at this stage of his SLU tenure? He got SLU into the big dance year 5....and Ford inherited possibly the worst array of talent in the modern era of SLU basketball.

Majerus didn’t come in trying for a quick fix with a bunch of transfers.

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Maybe not a ton but they miss some wide open 3’s every game and a bunch of bunnies.

The poor shooting has doomed this team and as much as I like Ford the lack of shooters on this team is on him.

I agree with @brianstl, I don' think we get a lot of open looks. The majority of Bess' 3 pointers are from 2 feet behind NBA range and even those are contested. All of our shots from around the arc seem to be rushed. I guess when you don't really run an offense and have a hard time moving the ball around, you aren't going to get many open shots, even when the defense packs it in.

9 minutes ago, dlarry said:

And this needs to be the last season where we're looking for four players to sign in the spring. We've got to maintain some continuity. 

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The players are Ford’s players.

He said the blame lied on both. Are you saying the blame lies solely on Ford? 

Ford has zero, nil, none, nada blame for a college player not being able to shoot free throws. Imo Ford has no blame for Sit 2 or for Santos. As far as Gordon goes, Ford recruited a top 50 player. Every one of us knew of the issues and loved the signing. Now that it hasn't worked out and he left it wasn't good. I'd say if the things I heard were going on were actually going on Fords biggest mistake was not benching him much earlier and telling him to toe the line or suspending him. 

Ford is the coach and he is responsible but the players are responsible for their horrific shooting. Take away Bess and they shoot 55% from the line, and 28% from 3. The players should be able to finish a break or play a game without having 14 turnovers a game. Someone had the turnover per possession stat in another thread. I don't remember it but it has to be close to 1 in 5 possessions. And yes Ford recruited these players but he expected to have an entirely different team and the reason he doesn't is not on him