The Bills over Rich by 13

The Wiz

As we come into this game , we have fallen to B-...interestingly ,  Davidson remains at B....so this game didn't really help Dav numbers wise. The good news is we are still trending as a B team.. The overall score has to do with how teams have done to this point and  making the Dance ...B+ is a minimum....B is a minimum for NIT....trending is how things look going forward....

Quick A-10 update.................you need at least 1 B to get on this list.

......................................Overall.........................Trending

VCU...................................B+.................................B+

Dav....................................B.....................................A-

Day........................................B..................................B

SLU.....................................B-......................................B

GM.......................................B-....................................A-

Now onto the game...............

Spread variability....11 to 16 pts ...in favor of The Bills

This game will be very interesting on many levels....On the surface, it looks like... we got it...Rich  comes in with a C- overall and  trending at D....Weak offense and defense and bad rebounding....We should have it as long as we can deal with a few twists to this game.

First , let's look at the report card.....

..............................SLU..............................Rich............................................SLU..................................Rich

..................................................OFF......................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................F.................................D-...............................................A+ 15th ITN.......................C+

FG%..........................F................................B................................................A........................................F

3P%..........................F..................................D-...............................................A.......................................D+

FT%...........................F-...6th worst ITN......D- .........................................................

Reb............................A................................F-  2nd worst ITN......................B-.....................................D

Report card change....

Up....Def  PPG....

Down...Off PPG ...Off FG%...Def 3P%

Top 100 ITN

STLS....Goodwin 33rd....Gilyard...2nd

Blks....French.......96th

Rebs....French.......84th

Assts.....Gilyard....52nd

FG%.......Cayo........34th.....63.2%

PPG .....Golden......101st  (just missed)...17.8 ppg.

And this is one of the things that makes it tricky....Not a very good team but some really good players....players who can score....so why aren't their  numbers better?  The closer they get the more they score.  Their numbers go down every foot away from  the basket.  Other tricky things we will have to deal with...they are 7th ITN in fewest TOs.......Gilyard can create havoc ...2nd ITN in steals...who ever he guards will have to protect the ball.

WWN2D2W.....Make the slash....42/31/61....If we play a great game and don't make shots  then the game is wasted...They will give us shots ...long and short...will we make them?....a low bar slash....Stop Golden , Gilyard , & Cayo....hold them to 13, 12 & 10 pts respectively....Dominate the boards ...we need to beat them in Reb by double digits....Keep TOs even

WCGW...We give them uncontested short shots and let them drive to the basket.  You know all those short shots we miss close in....they won't miss them....the good news is they won't have too many second chances. ....Also , TOs can go wrong....They don't turn the ball over .   If we have a  TO differential of 6 or more ...we are in trouble...which means even a 14 could be too many TOs.  And finally , we let the last game bother us...particularly Goodwin. I am hoping he gets fouled early and makes some FTs.

Bottom line....We should have this game....If we have a decent game ...we could blow them out....but as noted above  there are some things we need to deal with. Should be an easy one but SLU72 may lose some more fingernails before the night is over.

EssEllYou likes this

-if I were a Spider I might be tempted to watch our player introductions, is there any life to the team? how does JGood appear? in other words, what was the toll on the team of the loss to Davidson? I expect JGood to have a very positive attitude that infects the rest of the team and I would hate to be a Spider to have this taken out on me

Personnel report:  Richmond is a three-man team --- Gilyard, Golden and Sherrod.  Sherrod?  Yes, and he's been lost to an ACL tear all year.  So now they've thrown in 6'7" Sophomore Nathan Cayo as their #3.  Golden averages 18; Gilyard 16 and Cayo 13.  The 6'10" Golden is their volume shooter and the guy that most announcers will tell you needs to touch the ball at least once on every offensive set.  While he can step out past the three-point line, he hasn't done that much this year.  Gilyard is 5'9" and has some very quick hands.  It's why he is up near the top in steals for th enation.  Bu the is also very good on the anticipation and if our guys continue to insist on lazy passes, he will prevail.  His height is an issue much like it is for Dunn-Martin at Duquesne -- he needs some decent space to launch his threes.  Over 50% of the shot she takes as the #2 volume shooter come from down town.  Cayo is essentially the garbage guy, cleaning up where he can on Golden or Gilyard's scraps.  He reminds me a lot of Trey Landers at Dayton -- energy and buckets at opportune times for the Spiders.

The rest of the roster is a dumpster fire.  They would be much better of course adding Sherrod and transfer Der'monte Buckingham back in the fold.  Plus GT Kwan Fore (who went to Louisville).  Julius Johnson is a senior off the bench, but doesn't provide much in terms of scoring.  The other two starters are 6'4" Freshman Jake Wojcik and 6'4" Finnish guard Andre Gustavson.  Senior Noah Yates is 6'5" and has been seeing some action but their bench contributed all of 25 minutes of playing time in their recent loss to the Bonnies in Richmond. 

Richmond's best win so far was over Wake Forest in the OOC.  That occurred in Richmond.  They'll come in to Chaifetz at 1 and 6, thirteenth in the A10.  Only Fordham, who is winless, is beneath them.  Richmond's lone win in the A10 was on the road in Foggy Bottom where they beat Geedubya by 20.

This might be a dogfight due to matchups.  Bess, our best defender, doesn't have a person to shut down.  I doubt he would be placed on 6'10' Golden.  likely Cayo.  Golden has been positioned more down low lately, so I expect French to get him there.  I'd keep Foreman on the bench for backup.  I think Isabell can take his height and apply it against Gilyard.and I think Gilyard will blow by him.  But given the weakness of Wojcik and Gustavson, I'd have Goodwin and Thatch backing off to help in the lane.  Wojcik has attempted over 83% of his shot from beyond the arc; Gustavson, shoots very little. 

I'd expect a SLU blow out win here but I have given up that ghost for the rest of this season.

Every team, at least once a season whether they are good or bad has..." the game.." That game when they shoot  way above normal....Tonight it was Richmond's night. What does  "the game" look like....here is Richmond's slash...58/44/ 94...which grades out at  A+/ A+/ A+...You can' not beat a team that has that slash....yet , we almost did....a chance to beat a team  in the final seconds with a triple A+ slash .  Remember, ...Rich is not a good team ...not just because of their record but because of their numbers.  Take a look again at their report card ...their offense grades out just slightly ahead of us. Rich does not do this every night...yet tonight they played like Gonzaga. But again , we had victory within our grasp and it slipped away. How could it be that  Rich had Gonzaga like numbers...Let me digress for a moment to delve into what A+ means.....Right now Gonz is the number 1 shooting team  in the nation...with 52.4%....Richmond easily exceeded that tonight....Leigh is #1 in 3pt shooting with 45.6%  and Va Tech is #2  with 42.4%....So Rich comes in with a solid 2nd...and finally Hofstra is #1 in FTs with an 80.4 % ...Rich again far exceeds....The point is not to say that Rich is on par with any of these teams but to show what an extraordinary night they had. If we play them again  and we come up with the same numbers that we did tonight  (which were pretty average) ...we beat them next time.

The good news and the reason we had a chance to win was that a lot of things went right .   We beat them on TOs by 3...targeting  number was even...excellent effort against the # 7 team ITN for fewest TOs. ...In the last 2 1/2 minutes we forced 5 TOs more than half of what they give up in a whole game.... Makes you think that if we would have started that press 1 minute earlier , the result might have been different. Also , we dominated on Rebs as expected.38-26...target... double digit difference . We made our slash of 42/31/61...actual 43/32/71...not great but on a normal night good enough to win.  And finally, an outstanding night by Bess who scored a career high 31 pts.

Of course, we didn't stop their big three...as all 3 exceed their point target by  at least 10 pts...but that ties in with the team slash.

Bottom line...Richmond had "the game" tonight and we still almost beat them....if we continue to make our slash ...grab 38 rebs ...and hold to 12 TOs...like we did tonight...we will win the majority of our remaining games.

AGB91, EssEllYou and rgbilliken like this

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Will we ever have “that game” ?

st joes might be the closest we get to one with norman dale ford at the helm.  

4 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Will we ever have “that game” ?

Seton Hall game   was 48/63 /70.....that might be it for this year

Here are some past great Bills games.....

Bills Highest.....

FG%...Nor Iowa....2/16 /88....72.3%

3P%....Chi St....2/11/89 ...80%  (8-10)

FT% (min 15).....3/10/ 88...Detroit 100%...18-18

............................2/11/ 84......Xavier...100%...16-16