Davidson from da' Couch ................

Taj79

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

The record this year is very deceiving.  The schedule turned out to be very weak. One of the two or three weakest in 30 years.  The record’s overall feel is very similar to Brad's 20 win final season. 

And it is getting weaker. Our NET today has fallen to 87.  We lost, for now, a Tier 1 win as Butler has slipped to a Tier 2.  Oregon State has fallen into Tier 3, for now, and St Joe has fallen to Tier 4.  So we are now 1-2 in Tier 1, 1-2 in Tier 2, 2-2 in Tier 3 and 10-0 in Tier 4.  That's 4-6 in the first three Groups.  The resume doesn't meet the eye test of an At Large team by any means.

36 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

clock, first no one expected, santos leaving, gordon being a bust (and leaving) and welmer being hurt.   reducing our inside game to that degree is going to be devastating. 

second, as to our grad transfers, isabell brought some nice credentials  to the table.   and we all bought that wiley was a true sniper.  

third, everyone expected french and goodwin to naturally up their games.   and who would have thought foreman would regress.  

my point is there was good justification in the fall for the fandom enthusiasm.   but alas, i think most have accepted that was a misread.

Correct as to Santos and Gordon.  Welmer?   I didn't expect Welmer either be healthy or to contribute.

Isabell and Wiley?  We needed to go with them -- for the sake of Bess and Foreman alone.   Isabell has been good.  Wiley -- injuries have been tough on him.  Still hoping for the best.  Right now, I have him down (grade wise) and Incomplete.

French and Goodwin?   I would say both are as good/better.   Certainly learning to play with Isabell (JG) and Gordon (HF) was an adjustment.   Maybe also a little Sophomore slide in some ways... but they are not the problem.   Foreman?   Again, maybe we underestimated Jalen Johnson.

To me though, the injuries and limited play of Jacobs and Hankton have been unexpected as well.  They also receive an Incomplete in my grading.   What do you think we will see from them the rest of the year?

20 hours ago, cheeseman said:

What I can not figure out is was he out coached or was he the benefit of the Billikens shooting 26 or 30% from the field.  McKillop would have looked bad also if he did not have a couple of guys burying 3s - especially with 3 being hit on missed shots.  I did wonder why Travis did not change the offensive scheme at the half but if the players do not perform it really doesn't matter what scheme you are in.  Bottom line, Wiley hits only 1 3ptr the entire game - clutch time but really he could not hit one more before.  The lay ups have been talked about and once again this has been same story all year even with Gordon.

Gordon had the best FG% on the team by a large margin.  How many lay ups did Gordon miss?

Billiken Rich likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

clock, first no one expected, santos leaving, gordon being a bust (and leaving) and welmer being hurt.   reducing our inside game to that degree is going to be devastating. 

second, as to our grad transfers, isabell brought some nice credentials  to the table.   and we all bought that wiley was a true sniper.  

third, everyone expected french and goodwin to naturally up their games.   and who would have thought foreman would regress.  

my point is there was good justification in the fall for the fandom enthusiasm.   but alas, i think most have accepted that was a misread.

Gordon wasn't a bust when he was here.  He was the second or third best player on the team.

Zink, almaman and TheChosenOne like this

28 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Gordon wasn't a bust when he was here.  He was the second or third best player on the team.

imo "bust" can be defined different ways.   you are looking at it from the stat sheet perspective.   i am looking at it from the good teammate perspective which he had to become to be a success imo.  

ACE, Zink, drkelsey55 and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Agreed. Starting 9/13 games while averaging 24.5 minutes, 4.1 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 1.1 steals, 1.2 assists, and 8.9 points on 54.2% shooting (French is at 45.8% for comparison) is real solid for a freshman big. His player efficiency rating of 16.7, win share per 40 minutes of .130, and true shooting percentage of 54.8% are all 2nd to Bess (French is at 15.4, .120, and 44.7% for comparison). I think some folks might be getting a little too caught up in the production of the elite one and done big men if that is considered a bust.

brianstl likes this

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Correct as to Santos and Gordon.  Welmer?   I didn't expect Welmer either be healthy or to contribute.

Isabell and Wiley?  We needed to go with them -- for the sake of Bess and Foreman alone.   Isabell has been good.  Wiley -- injuries have been tough on him.  Still hoping for the best.  Right now, I have him down (grade wise) and Incomplete.

French and Goodwin?   I would say both are as good/better.   Certainly learning to play with Isabell (JG) and Gordon (HF) was an adjustment.   Maybe also a little Sophomore slide in some ways... but they are not the problem.   Foreman?   Again, maybe we underestimated Jalen Johnson.

To me though, the injuries and limited play of Jacobs and Hankton have been unexpected as well.  They also receive an Incomplete in my grading.   What do you think we will see from them the rest of the year?

I would disagree with this. Remember not long ago when folks thought heading into the season Goodwin was a candidate to win conference POY? He hasn't performed close to that level consistently. He needs a Javon Bess summer and improve his shooting.

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

I would disagree with this. Remember not long ago when folks thought heading into the season Goodwin was a candidate to win conference POY? He hasn't performed close to that level consistently. He needs a Javon Bess summer and improve his shooting.

Could not agree more on Goodwin. He needs a strong summer of work on his outside shooting and Free Throws. A lot should be expected from him next year!