Inability to finish at the basket.....

73Billiken

I do not understand how we can miss so many shots at the rim.  Yesterday per the PD we missed 10 layups. 

How much taller do our big men need to be in order to flush the ball and not try to spin the ball into the basket??

Go up strong and if you get fouled at minimum the other team gets into foul trouble sooner but to go 0 for 10 gets you nothing.  Even shooting 50% at the free throw line yesterday would have yielded 5 more points on those 10 missed layups.

Given that we have lost 'winnable games' (Houston, Pitt, Duquesne and now Davidson) by only a few points, how many poorly shot layups would we have need to win.  18 & 2 would look and feel a lot better.

1 hour ago, 73Billiken said:

I do not understand how we can miss so many shots at the rim.  Yesterday per the PD we missed 10 layups. 

How much taller do our big men need to be in order to flush the ball and not try to spin the ball into the basket??

Go up strong and if you get fouled at minimum the other team gets into foul trouble sooner but to go 0 for 10 gets you nothing.  Even shooting 50% at the free throw line yesterday would have yielded 5 more points on those 10 missed layups.

Given that we have lost 'winnable games' (Houston, Pitt, Duquesne and now Davidson) by only a few points, how many poorly shot layups would we have need to win.  18 & 2 would look and feel a lot better.

yep on all. Even if not stuffing at least finishing. there were at least 2 maybe 3 times yesterday where we had 3 shots right up close and might as well been blind. Used to be we were amazed we had anyone able to get free under the basket now most of our teem is talented enough to get good up close chances on a regular basis but % that score is dismal. 

It is not easy to get the lay up up with three defensive players swarming you.  We thought with Gordon gone maybe that would open things up in the paint a bit but what I am seeing is the teams all sag down low because they are still daring us to beat them at the perimeter.  Until we can make the defenses honest we will continue to miss lay ups.

2 hours ago, 73Billiken said:

Even worse is if you look at Goodwin's putback at the end of the game even with him getting fouled it was very makeable. No free throws needed of he just made it. 

almaman likes this

34 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Speaking of that final chance, did Jgood really get fouled or was it a questionable call?  Just curious as the TV replays didn’t really give the best look and/or I was too damn excited at him going to the foul line to care.

I thought he got hit pretty good.