Conference Tourney or Bust

moytoy12

That's where we're at this year.  A good, but not great team.  Lots of hustle, but poor execution.  Poor FT shooting.  Great D. We are what we are this year and that's an NIT-level team but good enough to win the conference tourney.  

To be honest, it's a little freeing as the rest of the regular season doesn't matter all that much in terms of the Big Dance (unless you think we're going to win out, which is unrealistic at best). 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, BrockL said:

Thoughts?

Ford skipped the post game radio interview and apparently was quick with the media in his press conference. I personally could care less, but this "LeBron Gaines" dude is making a big deal of it on his Twitter acount

It's part of his job. The St Louis media holds nobody accountable. Ramsey and Earl probably would have made excuses for him. It's not a huge deal but its weak and unprofessional to handle it the way he did

6 minutes ago, BrockL said:

Thoughts?

Ford skipped the post game radio interview and apparently was quick with the media in his press conference. I personally could care less, but this "LeBron Gaines" dude is making a big deal of it on his Twitter acount

He did not skip the radio interview. He said they didnt play well and Jordans freethrows were just one of many plays that werent made

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

24 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Agree, once again SLU loses three critical players -- Welmer, Santos, Gordin -- and is now paying the price. But nobody tops Ford in the A10 as a recruiter, future is bright and this team still has a real shot to win A10 tourney.

So depressing to think about what this roster--especially the front court--could have been. Every year it seems we can't catch a break. 

10 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Sure, it’s possible, but based on what I’ve seen this year, highly unlikely.

road loss against a tough team, heart-breaker against another tough team

YEP SEASONS OVER - TIME TO QUIT

bunch of f-ing ninnys on this board. when life punches you in the face, go hide in your room. victim mentality  

im ready to go to war the rest of the season. i hope the team is too

CBFan, Bills_06 and RamJAMTIME like this

4 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

road loss against a tough team, heart-breaker against another tough team

YEP SEASONS OVER - TIME TO QUIT

bunch of f-ing ninnys on this board. when life punches you in the face, go hide in your room. victim mentality  

im ready to go to war the rest of the season. i hope the team is too

LOL.  Yea, victim mentality.  Or a prediction informed by performance and results to date. 

But hey, whatever makes you feel better.

6 hours ago, brianstl said:

Bust.

Agreed for this season.  This is the Coach Ford that Oklahoma State fans have been up in arms about all these years: the coach who can recruit athletes but not take advantage of their athleticism.  But I really do think recruiting will be his saving grace in the A10.  Coach Ford went 13-3 in the A10 with a UMass team he constructed.  Once this roster looks more like that one, we'll be in good shape.

brianstl and Bonner89 like this

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agreed for this season.  This is the Coach Ford that Oklahoma State have been up in arms about all these years: the coach who can recruit athletes but not take advantage of their athleticism.  But I really do think recruiting will be his saving grace in the A10.  Coach Ford went 13-3 in the A10 with a UMass team he constructed.  Once this roster looks more like that one, we'll be in good shape.

3 star you are one of my favorites but i don’t see this roster ever getting any better with Ford. If he can’t  run through the a10 This season then be never will 

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

This is the Coach Ford that Oklahoma State have been up in arms about all these years: the coach who can recruit athletes but not take advantage of their athleticism.

With regards to recruiting, I am starting to fear that he doesn't recruit with any sort of plan. Sure we have athletes and size. But the parts seemingly really don't fit together and they definitely don't fit a slow grind it out inefficient style of offense. French and Gordon and by all reports Santos all were very similar in style and court preferences. Jgood and isabell both need the ball. In comparison, Conklin complemented Loe in style. Mccall and Jett complemented each other stylistaclly. Chemistry matters. I fear that chemistry on the court is being overlooked on  the recruiting trail. 

BJK likes this

2 minutes ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

With regards to recruiting, I am starting to fear that he doesn't recruit with any sort of plan. Sure we have athletes and size. But the parts seemingly really don't fit together and they definitely don't fit a slow grind it out inefficient style of offense. French and Gordon and by all reports Santos all were very similar in style and court preferences. Jgood and isabell both need the ball. In comparison, Conklin complemented Loe in style. Mccall and Jett complemented each other stylistaclly. Chemistry matters. I fear that chemistry on the court is being overlooked on  the recruiting trail. 

What's done is done.  But look at the class he just signed and tell me how chemistry was overlooked.

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

What's done is done.  But look at the class he just signed and tell me how chemistry was overlooked.

I agree that on paper the incoming talent is great. I imagine Jimmerson will be similar to Wiley but hopefully healthy and thus more consistent. I imagine Perkins will be unique compared to this year's roster. Hargrove is another athlete with a slashers first mentality. Yuri is unique in that he's a true point guard. But I am concerned about his size. I am also concerned with JGood not having the ball in his hands because that seemed to hurt him earlier this year when Isabell was running the point. Im really hoping for a stretch four/high post kind of big.

I was also optimistic about the incoming class this year and didn't foresee any issues. I hope you are right and they impress next year. We cannot keep having high expectations with results that fall short of those expectations if we want to build the type of long-term success we desire. 

Just now, SouthSide_Billiken said:

I agree that on paper the incoming talent is great. I imagine Jimmerson will be similar to Wiley but hopefully healthy and thus more consistent. I imagine Perkins will be unique compared to this year's roster. Hargrove is another athlete with a slashers first mentality. Yuri is unique in that he's a true point guard. But I am concerned about his size. I am also concerned with JGood not having the ball in his hands because that seemed to hurt him earlier this year when Isabell was running the point. Im really hoping for a stretch four/high post kind of big.

I was also optimistic about the incoming class this year and didn't foresee any issues. I hope you are right and they impress next year. We cannot keep having high expectations with results that fall short of those expectations if we want to build the type of long-term success we desire. 

TL;DR I think it Is hard to be excited about next season after seeing this season unfold. I have no hope for next season.