GDT Davidson

SLU_Nick

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Look you are never going to get 100% of those in attendance standing up and cheering the entire game.  Be grateful that they support the team financially by buying a tix and spending on parking and concessions.  We need fans that cheer and fans that pay - the combo works.  I was standing at one point and I had a guy two rows back ask me sit so his wife could see.  He and his wife were in their 30s so lets make sure we just don't always - not you - assume it is the old timers who are the problems.  

How aggravating being asked by a young person to sit my 50 year old 5 foot 2 wife has never asked anyone to sit down.  The entire section 210 was standing for the last minute of play cheering jumping up and down it was a site to see.

I agree that we need fans in seats and as long as they don’t ask me to sit down and stop cheering so loud then it works.  The wife and I are active and loud during a game and at home watching a game I have gotten seats down low near Joe Wiley one time and I was stared at by the fans in that area and I do not curse at games.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Respectfully disagree with next season the reason why for this season is freshman and new players blending together.  Our problem is players that are no longer on the roster and medically cannot play.

With a healthy Welmer, Gordon and Santos playing not only do we beat Davidson we beat SIUC, Duq, Pitt and Houston and we could be ranked and undefeated in the A10.  The freshman that remain are not impact players like Gordon however Thatch has given quality minutes most of the time when he is in the game.

Next season in my opinion 4 impact players are already signed.  Perkins and Hargrove replace what we get out of Bess offensively and Jimmerson will play the Wiley role and we will finally have a true point guard in Collins.  The current freshmen will work hard to get playing time and will not want to get beat out by the new players for starting positions.

Can coach Ford finally keep all of his players in a season have at least 12 scholarship players all season.  This has hurt our big dance chances now for two seasons.

Won't argue with our MIAs because, well, they ain't here are they? Kind of meaningless to say where we'd be if they'd stayed. They didn't and the games still must be played. 

I'd love to share your enthusiasm about next year, but have to disagree that all our new guys are impact players. Perkins probably comes closest because he plays against young men rather than High Schoolers. Our true FR are not one and doners so to call them impact players at this point is a bit of a stretch. Zion Williams is an impact player. C. Gordon, even w/ all the hype, was not. He might develop into one, not for us sadly, but that remains to be seen. And, likewise, our FR may develop into impact players, but I doubt we'll see that impact next year until maybe late in the season. 

Jimmerson really does excite me as he comes in with the rep as being a pure shooter. If we can find ways to get him open looks and he's truly the dead eye Dick we all think, he's got the easiest road to be an overnight sensation. He won't have to learn all the tricks and moves on how to get around and/or thru the inside jungle of big D1 bodies and long arms to get his points. Just get open so he can stop and pop or catch and shoot, and pray he's as good as advertised. If he is, that will be a big boost to next year's squad. A dance team, though, I'm not so sure about that. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Look you are never going to get 100% of those in attendance standing up and cheering the entire game.  Be grateful that they support the team financially by buying a tix and spending on parking and concessions.  We need fans that cheer and fans that pay - the combo works.  I was standing at one point and I had a guy two rows back ask me sit so his wife could see.  He and his wife were in their 30s so lets make sure we just don't always - not you - assume it is the old timers who are the problems.  

I get that but watching this video it’s the big donor seats that just don’t give a sh!t. Credit where credits due to Guy Phillips who implored fans to get up and make noise towards the end. It’s a little disheartening to see those fans indifferent to what’s going on. Also side note and I hesitate to say this but I wish the Doc and Crew would have worn their white T-shirt’s. I get why they don’t and he paid for the damn arena but it just kinda bothers me.

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Won't argue with our MIAs because, well, they ain't here are they? Kind of meaningless to say where we'd be if they'd stayed. They didn't and the games still must be played. 

I'd love to share your enthusiasm about next year, but have to disagree that all our new guys are impact players. Perkins probably comes closest because he plays against young men rather than High Schoolers. Our true FR are not one and doners so to call them impact players at this point is a bit of a stretch. Zion Williams is an impact player. C. Gordon, even w/ all the hype, was not. He might develop into one, not for us sadly, but that remains to be seen. And, likewise, our FR may develop into impact players, but I doubt we'll see that impact next year until maybe late in the season. 

Jimmerson really does excite me as he comes in with the rep as being a pure shooter. If we can find ways to get him open looks and he's truly the dead eye Dick we all think, he's got the easiest road to be an overnight sensation. He won't have to learn all the tricks and moves on how to get around and/or thru the inside jungle of big D1 bodies and long arms to get his points. Just get open so he can stop and pop or catch and shoot, and pray he's as good as advertised. If he is, that will be a big boost to next year's squad. A dance team, though, I'm not so sure about that. 

Our diffence is what you and I think impact players are.  There is only one Zion Williamson and that is a high bar of what your definition of what an impact player is.

My bar for an impact first year player is French and Goodwin last season if they don’t contribute and play at a high level we do not have a winning season.  Godwin’s impact was really shown when he got suspended.  I get depth was an issue but he defense and scoring had a significant impact with last seasons team.  Gordon is an impact player he was scoring almost 9 points a game and his loss gave us DJ for more minutes.  I am sure Seton Hall felt that Gordon was an impact player with scoring and blocks.  Gordon had an impact on most games he played especially when a team tried to score inside and Gordon would swat the ball.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

How aggravating being asked by a young person to sit my 50 year old 5 foot 2 wife has never asked anyone to sit down.  The entire section 210 was standing for the last minute of play cheering jumping up and down it was a site to see.

I agree that we need fans in seats and as long as they don’t ask me to sit down and stop cheering so loud then it works.  The wife and I are active and loud during a game and at home watching a game I have gotten seats down low near Joe Wiley one time and I was stared at by the fans in that area and I do not curse at games.

210 is where the real fans are 

22 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Our diffence is what you and I think impact players are.  There is only one Zion Williamson and that is a high bar of what your definition of what an impact player is.

My bar for an impact first year player is French and Goodwin last season if they don’t contribute and play at a high level we do not have a winning season.  Godwin’s impact was really shown when he got suspended.  I get depth was an issue but he defense and scoring had a significant impact with last seasons team.  Gordon is an impact player he was scoring almost 9 points a game and his loss gave us DJ for more minutes.  I am sure Seton Hall felt that Gordon was an impact player with scoring and blocks.  Gordon had an impact on most games he played especially when a team tried to score inside and Gordon would swat the ball.

I call them significant contributors. Thatch has been because of his defense. We're still waiting on his offense. The Legend, definitely impact, led us to the dance. Just a difference in terms. I hope our FR next year all make a significant contribution, but even if they do, I still think we're a year away. Of course, if Ford pulls in a couple of JUCO or GT heavy hitters who knows? 

And, by the way, you and you wife should stand and cheer as loud as you want. We need more enthusiastic fans! On TV it appeared the students were really into it big time. Need that every game. 

CBFan likes this

Just saw a 50% free throw shooter for Purdue knock down 6 in a row against Sparty today to enable his team to beat the 6th ranked team in the country. Pretty obvious that Sparty intentionally fouled him. His form was great. If it can happen to other teams hopefully it will for our Bills in the clutch soon.

3 hours ago, slusam said:

Just think how this board would be if we did what Missouri did yesterday. How do you blow a 14 point lead in the last 2 minutes? Its almost impossible.

when i saw mi$$ouri and the old dominion losses yesterday it definitely made our sting a little more tolerable.   

22 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Situation 2 was not sexual assault.  That, sir, is a fact.

So you are saying that it was just a little misunderstanding? I’m sure if it was your daughters or sons it’s be a different story. I disagree. It was a black eye on the program either way. 

I think we need to move past the FT from JG.  Before the davidson game JG was shooting 53.7% from the line.   Last night before the missed FT he was at 88.9%.  He still finished 8/11 (72.7%) for the night.   These numbers bumped his season average up to 56.4% on the season.  Last season he finished at 69%.  I dont get how people can expect a player averaging 54% from the line to go and finish 9/11 or even 10/11 on the night.  If he shot his average FT% for the whole night, those two last FT would not have mattered because we would have been down by 3 instead of down by 1.   It sucks he missed both, but its hard to expect a bad FT shooter to suddenly turn a 54% rate all season long into a 90% for this game.  JG had a good game, as always he was a stat filler.  Where would we have been in this game if not for his effort.  We should put this game behind us and move on.        

32 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

So you are saying that it was just a little misunderstanding? I’m sure if it was your daughters or sons it’s be a different story. I disagree. It was a black eye on the program either way. 

Look nobody is saying that the girls should be attacked.  The bottom line is that 2 of the girls begged off from the entire mess.  Third girl insisted on taking it the distance for whatever her reasons - her call.  Bottom line is that the players and the girls were adults and nobody - coach, AD, or parent can be blamed for all their choices.  

6 hours ago, slusam said:

How many times does a player miss both freethrows during a game? It happens quite a bit.

If you are a good shooter ...say 81.7%........................You make both about 2/3 of the time.....

If you are not so good...say 57.7% ............................You make both about 1/3 of the time.

If you are an average shooter....say about 70.7%........You make both about 1/2 the time.

The Bills shoot 60.4%.................... They make both about 3/8 of the time.

Now that I've had a few days to calm down, here's my take:

The Ford naysayers need to remember what we had before him and what we had  before Majerus.  I think everyone calling for him to go thinks that a new coach we get will procure the same level of talent that Ford brings in, but coach them better.  NOT TRUE.  Another coach that we bring in will not recruit like Ford has to this program.  Who have we had before Ford that recruited better?  Keep this in mind before you call for our coach to be fired after a one point loss that should have been a win.

The offense that we run, which is very similar to the offense run by most top teams, works if you hit shots.  It is much less effective if you don't hit shots.  Of course, this is true of any offense.  We miss layups, we miss mid-range jumpers, we miss threes, we miss free throws.  We get the shots.  We get good shots.  We miss those shots.  If you want to criticize recruiting for not bringing in guys that can shoot, that's fine.  Stop lazily criticizing the offense.  The guys on this board are really starting to sound like everyone Mizzou Tiger fan ever.  The shooters that we had are not here for one reason or another.  Once those shooters left, along with some of our key bigs, we probably should have tempered our expectations for this year.  Not doing so, and then criticizing the offensive scheme reminds me of the callers to KMOX in the day that would suggest that Cardinals should trade four bench players for Mike Schmidt.  It's a lazy narrative pushed by the uninformed when they don't know what else to say.  If our guys could consistently hit shots, we would win most games given the amazing defense that Ford coaches.

We've got shooter(s) coming in next year.  Losing Bess will be big, but all we need is one guy to show as a real threat from outside, and our offense will suddenly look much better.  An (consistent) outside threat will all of the sudden make Goodwin a better player.   It will make French a better player inside.  It will make everyone look better.

I know everyone wants to win now, but this is the team we have.  I think most on this board overestimated what we were.  However, the program is heading in the right direction.  Xavier, Gonzaga, Villanova didn't become successful overnight.  It was a process that involved them sticking behind a coach.  Let's not fall into the trap of not doing so, because you think that switching coaches every three years when some of our fans get frustrated is the proper path. 

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Now that I've had a few days to calm down, here's my take:

The Ford naysayers need to remember what we had before him and what we had  before Majerus.  I think everyone calling for him to go thinks that a new coach we get will procure the same level of talent that Ford brings in, but coach them better.  NOT TRUE.  Another coach that we bring in will not recruit like Ford has to this program.  Who have we had before Ford that recruited better?  Keep this in mind before you call for our coach to be fired after a one point loss that should have been a win.

The offense that we run, which is very similar to the offense run by most top teams, works if you hit shots.  It is much less effective if you don't hit shots.  Of course, this is true of any offense.  We miss layups, we miss mid-range jumpers, we miss threes, we miss free throws.  We get the shots.  We get good shots.  We miss those shots.  If you want to criticize recruiting for not bringing in guys that can shoot, that's fine.  Stop lazily criticizing the offense.  The guys on this board are really starting to sound like everyone Mizzou Tiger fan ever.  The shooters that we had are not here for one reason or another.  Once those shooters left, along with some of our key bigs, we probably should have tempered our expectations for this year.  Not doing so, and then criticizing the offensive scheme reminds me of the callers to KMOX in the day that would suggest that Cardinals should trade four bench players for Mike Schmidt.  It's a lazy narrative pushed by the uninformed when they don't know what else to say.  If our guys could consistently hit shots, we would win most games given the amazing defense that Ford coaches.

We've got shooter(s) coming in next year.  Losing Bess will be big, but all we need is one guy to show as a real threat from outside, and our offense will suddenly look much better.  An (consistent) outside threat will all of the sudden make Goodwin a better player.   It will make French a better player inside.  It will make everyone look better.

I know everyone wants to win now, but this is the team we have.  I think most on this board overestimated what we were.  However, the program is heading in the right direction.  Xavier, Gonzaga, Villanova didn't become successful overnight.  It was a process that involved them sticking behind a coach.  Let's not fall into the trap of not doing so, because you think that switching coaches every three years when some of our fans get frustrated is the proper path. 

Great post. Some of you supposed fans on this board are really going to far. We had some unfortunate events the past 2 years and it's left us a little short handed. The team is fun to watch and can compete for a conference title. These players seem to love playing for Team Blue and representing our Billikens. Everyone chill out and wait and see where we are at the end of the year. I still think they can come together and the best is yet to be seen. The sky is not falling.

CBFan and majerus mojo like this

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The offense that we run, which is very similar to the offense run by most top teams, works if you hit shots.  It is much less effective if you don't hit shots.  Of course, this is true of any offense.  We miss layups, we miss mid-range jumpers, we miss threes, we miss free throws.  We get the shots.  We get good shots.  We miss those shots.  

The Billikens have nothing to hang their heads down for except they didn't shoot that well and they gave away this season.  

Good post and I agree with it, that part just reminded me of the Frank Thomas quote which always makes me laugh.