SLU_Nick

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

How?  We will have eight players again

Bess is the only player I'll truly miss, and think he ill be the only player that hurts us.

The progression of french, goodwin, thatch , and KC is exciting to me.  the addition of Gibson and the juco dude excites the hell out of me.  I think those two out weigh the seniors outside of bess.   That doesnt even take hargrove into consideration.  Plus, the  chance of a GT again. O ya, and jacobs.

SLU_Nick and cgeldmacher like this

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You do not foul an 81% FT shooter 30 feet from the hoop with 5 seconds left.  You just don't do it.  That was the play of the game.

well , I mean it not like he wanted to or tried to on purpose..

GoSluBills likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Bess is the only player I'll truly miss, and think he ill be the only player that hurts us.

The progression of french, goodwin, thatch , and KC is exciting to me.  the addition of Gibson and the juco dude excites the hell out of me.  I think those two out weigh the seniors outside of bess.   That doesnt even take hargrove into consideration.  Plus, the  chance of a GT again. O ya, and jacobs.

Thatch, KC and Jacobs are decent but not gonna get us to the tournament. French and Goodwin are great but not consistent enough. If these freshman arent better than what we've seen over the last 2-3years, we are in trouble.

3 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

Thatch, KC and Jacobs are decent but not gonna get us to the tournament. 

KC ill be a better scoring threat than any one leaving not named bess.  Thatch is actually a much better shooter than we've seen yet. 

4 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

T French and Goodwin are great but not consistent enough

this is part of my " another year to get better" approach.  Most players become more consistent as they get older

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

well , I mean it not like he wanted to or tried to on purpose..

I mean I agree but it's not like he missed the free throws on purpose either. He blew it at the end of the game but I still think Ford let Gudmundsson beat us and stopping him should have been item 1A on the scouting report. He ate Isabells lunch 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

From my vantage point, it was a careless, avoidable foul.  I'm not sure what Goodwin was trying to do. 

that can be said about any foul.  My point is, he was just trying to cut him off, we do this almost every play.

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

I mean I agree but it's not like he missed the free throws on purpose either. He blew it at the end of the game but I still think Ford let Gudmundsson beat us and stopping him should have been item 1A on the scouting report. He ate Isabells lunch 

I agree.  

JG's foul on #3 with 5.1 seconds left was inexcusable.  That being said, he had a chance to win the game at the end and he did not - he is a 55% FT shooter I think so he should have made at least one.  We all knew this team was going to regret not being able to hit FTs and today the chickens came home to roost.  No blame but gee whiz.

While it was a stupid foul JG made, its hard to fault guys for being amped up and playing as aggressive without errors being made.  It happens.  The big issue here, as many have pointed out; our offense is beyond bad.   We spend way to much time doing handoffs, which makes me hold my breath each time because it seems so awkward how this team executes it.   With as athletic as this team is, no way should we have the offense we see.  The sad part is, we see this offense with almost every team we play.  I mean we struggled with offense against North Alabama, Central Arkansas, Troy, La Salle, etc.  That should not happen.   From an individual player standpoint the only player that really struggles (IMO) is foreman.  No clue what has changed with him this year.   I give TI a lot of credit and I think being frustrated with him may be short-sided.  I feel like he is trying to push the offense too much.   We need a drastic change in offensive schemes.    

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

JG's foul on #3 with 5.1 seconds left was inexcusable.  That being said, he had a chance to win the game at the end and he did not - he is a 55% FT shooter I think so he should have made at least one.  We all knew this team was going to regret not being able to hit FTs and today the chickens came home to roost.  No blame but gee whiz.

55% in low pressure situations.

when the game is on the line he is now at 0%.

harden-choke.jpg

I was there and many things about this game were just great. The Chaifetz was pretty full, with a full complement of vocal and active students. The atmosphere was very good and positive. Neither team dominated the other, if there was anything shown in this game is that we were pretty even with Davidson. I enjoyed the game very much, I thought we played well and did not give in for the whole game. There were no significant scoring runs for either side.

We lost the game by 1 pt. What went wrong. First and foremost we had no control over Gudmunsson who scored a pile of points. Second there were a number of really bad calls by the refs that may have costed us 4 to 6 pts. I thought the foul called on Goodwin in the last seven seconds was one of these really bad calls. I think the game was lost primarily for 3 reasons: 1. our inability to neutralize Gudmunsson, 2. bad foul calls, and 3. our usual issues with FTs (I thought we did OK generally speaking, up to the last two misses by Goodwin). We lost the game before the final two foul throws.

We could have won this game but did not, too bad. Now let's focus on the next one.