SLU_Nick

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

he absolutely had a foot in the back court.  not sure of the rule though 

On an inbounds play, you could even throw the ball into the backcourt.  The question is if he was established with the ball in the frontcourt and two feet down before stepping back.  In that case, it would be a violation.  I suspect the way the officials saw it was that he came down in the backcourt with his second step after catching the ball.  That's permissible.

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

On an inbounds play, you could even throw the ball into the backcourt.  The question is if he was established with the ball in the frontcourt and two feet down before stepping back.  In that case, it would be a violation.  I suspect the way the officials saw it was that he came down in the backcourt with his second step after catching the ball.  That's permissible.

ok, that makes sense and I agree that's what the officials saw.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

I think partially it’s the players not executing. Multiple times Thatch looked completely lost 

But should they be that lost over 1/2 way into the season? If they are...should those players be playing? This isn't all on Ford, of course, but his coaching this year has been questionable at times.  And as you rightly pointed out, the players have executed really poorly at times. 

The final 10 minutes should have been nothing but down low touches. 

Also, in the final few when they kept double teaming French, Bess should have helped in the post. Bess would have been the 2nd best big on the court today.

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Any chance we could hire McKillop

Shaka likely to be available.  He's like Ford but actually won in the tournament before. 

7 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Absolutely.  He deserves criticism. Lots of head scratching decisions (offensively and defensively).

The biggest coaching error was TI on Thors brother. Im not blaming TI. When Goodwin was on him he stopped him. Goodwin had a great game until the last 10 seconds.

Zink likes this

I think Ford, along with many of us fans, have been tricked into thinking that things have been going alright. Our record is fool’s gold. This team needs to completely revamp the offense. It’s abysmal. The only reason it’s not worse is that Javon Bess has done a good job of hitting tough shots, and we’re pretty good on the offensive glass. There’s no flow and we rarely create open looks. Hankton and Wiley need to see more minutes, while Foreman and Thatch probably need a few less. We can sacrifice some defense and be merely top-30, if it can get us into the top-200 on offense; that would net us an extra 3.7 points/100 possessions. We’re that bad at scoring. Time to shuffle the deck and play a new hand, coach. 

Edit: Read the wrong column - we’d improve by 3.7, not 1.8 points/100 possessions!!!

Just now, Zink said:

I think Ford, along with many of the fans, have been tricked into thinking that things have been going alright. Our record is fool’s gold. This team needs to completely revamp the offense. It’s abysmal. The only reason it’s not worse is that Javon Bess has done a good job of hitting tough shots, and we’re pretty good on the offensive glass. There’s no flow and we rarely create open looks. Hankton and Wiley need to see more minutes, with Foreman and Thatch probably need a few less. We can sacrifice some defense and be merely top-30, if it can get us into the top-200 on offense; that would net us an extra 1.8 points/100 possessions. We’re that bad at scoring. Time to shuffle the deck and play a new hand, coach. 

Agree with all of this

We burned out last timeout to make sure we were sound defensively and we commit a terrible foul and then had to scramble on offense. And then I just dont understand how you miss both free throws. And Isabell never should have guarded Gudmundsson for one possession. If you have watched one minute of Davidson this year, you know who their go to guys are and we put maybe out worst defender on him

majerus mojo likes this

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

We burned out last timeout to make sure we were sound defensively and we commit a terrible foul and then had to scramble on offense. And then I just dont understand how you miss both free throws. And Isabell never should have guarded Gudmundsson for one possession. If you have watched one minute of Davidson this year, you know who their go to guys are and we put maybe out worst defender on him

Just terrible game planning all around. Ford was thoroughly outcoached. 

Just now, EssEllYou said:

You think we'll be better next year? I think not.  Bess leaving is a big deal. Sure, we got some decent freshmen, but its gonna take a year or two...

Yes. We will be.

7 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

You think we'll be better next year? I think not.  Bess leaving is a big deal. Sure, we got some decent freshmen, but its gonna take a year or two...

I'm not sure if we'll be better next year or not, the point is that continuing to kick the can down the road doesn't ever lead to satisfaction today. 

Edit: I changed my mind from indecisive to a straight up no. I don't see how we are better next season.