GDT: The pretend Duke

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus far, we've had a problem after emotional wins. After our big win at Seton Hall we laid an egg against Pitt. After the dominant win over Butler we failed to show up at Carbondale. I'd categorize our win against St. Joe's as a fairly emotional win especially after the scuffle at the end. Then we came out tonight and played our worst game of the year. For whatever reason we seem to lose our edge after big wins. Part of it is tired legs, but I feel like a larger part of it is a lack of focus which explains the ridiculous number of turnovers. As a veteran team with postseason aspirations, we have to find a way to overcome this. The coaching staff needs to find a way to help the players keep their edge. On to Saturday. It is absolutely a must win.

19 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

The Bills are a pretty good but not great team.....Sucks but that is the case.... at this point any post season including the CBI or the USFL or whatever is a victory...…..

I’ve said it for weeks now. We are an NIT team and that’s fine with me. We will have too many losses against the top tier in this league. I’m just being realistic. I’m enjoying watching this team. We stay in games and that is much better than recent years. Our path to the tourney relies on an A10 tournament victory. I just don’t see it but a deep NIT run is the logical next step for the bills and that’s what I’m rooting for going forward. Go bills!!

11 minutes ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

I really enjoy the official's comments on Ford's T. "A combination of everything." They had it out for the boys early tonight. 

We really need to be on the refs from the go on Saturday. A10 officials owe us one after tonight. 

7 hours ago, BJK said:

I’ve said it for weeks now. We are an NIT team and that’s fine with me. We will have too many losses against the top tier in this league. I’m just being realistic. I’m enjoying watching this team. We stay in games and that is much better than recent years. Our path to the tourney relies on an A10 tournament victory. I just don’t see it but a deep NIT run is the logical next step for the bills and that’s what I’m rooting for going forward. Go bills!!

at this moment NET says we likely arent an NIT team.   

Anything can happen in a 3 game tourney. I just hope we go in with everyone healthy. At this juncture we can't have anyone missing. Didn't get to see this fiasco, and happy for that, but 23 TO's and 10 per cent from the Arc clearly isn't going to get it done. On to Davidson and praying for a big W. No let down, Bills. This game may have been a huge wake up call. The one thing I can't figure out about last night is giving up 77 points. That ain't been us all year.

To me, the NIT and the CBI and anything else short of the Dance are useless ----- UNLESS the continued play gives you a chance to develop a younger team.  That is not our case ---- we (Ford & Co,) gain nothing by playing additional games because we don't have the horses in the stable to develop and make those additional games beneficial.  Foreman, Wiley, Isabell and Bess ---- four of our available players -- graduate.  The only guys coming back would be Goodwin, French, Jacobs, Hankton and Thatch.  Key parts for development will still be in high school.  For me, it's the dance or I-don't-care.

SLU_Nick likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Anything can happen in a 3 game tourney. I just hope we go in with everyone healthy. At this juncture we can't have anyone missing. Didn't get to see this fiasco, and happy for that, but 23 TO's and 10 per cent from the Arc clearly isn't going to get it done. On to Davidson and praying for a big W. No let down, Bills. This game may have been a huge wake up call. The one thing I can't figure out about last night is giving up 77 points. That ain't been us all year.

the 77 isnt necessarily an indication of a defensive let down (didnt see the game, listened to ramsey and earl) it is more about the turnovers, 20+ turnovers is quite a handicap to overcome as it is more or less free opportunities and likely runout easy ones at that.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

the 77 isnt necessarily an indication of a defensive let down (didnt see the game, listened to ramsey and earl) it is more about the turnovers, 20+ turnovers is quite a handicap to overcome as it is more or less free opportunities and likely runout easy ones at that.  

Maybe, but I thought our defense pretty much sucked last night. Way too many open looks from 3 and easy dunks and if Duq had been at all decent we would have lost by 20.

slufan13 likes this

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Maybe, but I thought our defense pretty much sucked last night. Way too many open looks from 3 and easy dunks and if Duq had been at all decent we would have lost by 20.

McBoom 2.0 kept us in the game, if he could shoot a lick it would have been over at the 10 minute mark.

8 minutes ago, kshoe said:

2 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

McBoom 2.0 kept us in the game, if he could shoot a lick it would have been over at the 10 minute mark.

Yup. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

The time in the 1-3-1 in the last three or four minutes of the first half, combined with ballhandling carelessness, is what turned the tide.  It turned a 6- or 8-point lead into a 1-point halftime lead.  And Duquesne promptly erased that at the outset of the second half and led the rest of the game.  The defense was not up to its usual standard.

But — as 05 has pointed out — Duquesne is better than many people had been supposing, and they had a lot to do with how things went.  Indeed, they're 5-1 (14-5 overall) and even with the Bills now.