The House That Rick Built Podcast

37 minutes ago, Bishop said:

I actually wonder if your number of listeners would increase if you split this into two separate pods - each about an hour when you edit and trim some fat?  You could also provide some commentary on the topics covered in each pod at the start and end to build upon the fans perspective of the conversation.  As you have seen, many people shy away from listening based on the length alone.  I feel that you could take this route to still utilize the full interview, increase your pod downloads and provide the content you are looking to provide without sacrificing a large portion of the interview.

Excited to listen to this and happy to share feedback to help increase your listener base.  The more people interested in the Bills, the better!

I’m always happy for the responses from you guys. You are very much correct that our numbers would go up but it’s fluff too because it doesn’t mean our actual audience numbers are growing it just adds consistency to our numbers, especially when it comes to how we can actually use those numbers whether it’s sponsorship or otherwise.

Also, our numbers would indicate that when I used to split up the interviews into multiple episodes, the numbers were always lower on part two because people don’t always make it back to the second part, so that’s another place we could lose on those numbers. But also at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter that much because again it’s not really growing the audience as much as it maybe just inflated our egos about how successful the show is. Lol.

All of that being said as always we are happy to hear from people on the board or elsewhere about the show, curious what your thoughts are on changes, and happy to make changes so that this show best fits the audience it’s made for. 

Also feels like you are assuming a lot because the numbers on the last episodes, some of our longest episodes, have all been some of our best numbers, meaning not too many people are shying away based on length. 

I’m hopeful that posting clips of the full interviews in 5-10 minute segments that are some of the most enlightening parts of the show help people digest the content easier as well.

At any rate as always I’m grateful for the feedback and continued listens from everyone.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, The House That Rick Built said:

I’m always happy for the responses from you guys. You are very much correct that our numbers would go up but it’s fluff too because it doesn’t mean our actual audience numbers are growing it just adds consistency to our numbers, especially when it comes to how we can actually use those numbers whether it’s sponsorship or otherwise.

Also, our numbers would indicate that when I used to split up the interviews into multiple episodes, the numbers were always lower on part two because people don’t always make it back to the second part, so that’s another place we could lose on those numbers. But also at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter that much because again it’s not really growing the audience as much as it maybe just inflated our egos about how successful the show is. Lol.

All of that being said as always we are happy to hear from people on the board or elsewhere about the show, curious what your thoughts are on changes, and happy to make changes so that this show best fits the audience it’s made for. 

Also feels like you are assuming a lot because the numbers on the last episodes, some of our longest episodes, have all been some of our best numbers, meaning not too many people are shying away based on length. 

I’m hopeful that posting clips of the full interviews in 5-10 minute segments that are some of the most enlightening parts of the show help people digest the content easier as well.

At any rate as always I’m grateful for the feedback and continued listens from everyone.

I'd keep the longer interviews as just one podcast.

I'll second Pistol in that on a weekend if I'm working in the yard, mowing the lawn, fixing something around the house, whatever, I can knock out a couple of these longer podcasts

TheChosenOne likes this

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

I'd keep the longer interviews as just one podcast.

I'll second Pistol in that on a weekend if I'm working in the yard, mowing the lawn, fixing something around the house, whatever, I can knock out a couple of these longer podcasts

I’d also add on that episodes which don’t include an interview normally clock in around 45 minutes to an hour, which is a conscious decision on our part to keep things concise, so all we’ve been doing are abnormally long episodes in a row in place of not having basketball to talk about. Your normal listening work load is not much more than 45 minutes.

Even if you don't have a chance to listen to all the interviews, I'd suggest going into the Podcast App (or whatever you use to listen) and giving the House That Rick Built a 5-star review. 1) it helps encourage Zac and Colin to keep doing good work and 2) it gives further proof to any media member moving forward that people really do care about Billiken basketball content.

@DoctorB and for anyone else interested, the condensed edition of the podcast is up now. Stuen can talk so I tried to pick some essential clips to include, and even then it ran up to 20 minutes, but hopefully that’s more digestible than 2+ hours. I’ll make sure to note down the important stuff going forward so I have better clips, but let me know if this is the type of short hand stuff that would make consuming the show easier for people. Also, for everyone that listens I changed the intro for the show, added a video element now so that it translates well to the YouTube form of the podcast. That is also included in this YouTube video, can also be found on our Twitter I will try to attach that link here as well. Thanks as always for following along.

YouTube:

46 minutes ago, The House That Rick Built said:

@DoctorB and for anyone else interested, the condensed edition of the podcast is up now. Stuen can talk so I tried to pick some essential clips to include, and even then it ran up to 20 minutes, but hopefully that’s more digestible than 2+ hours. I’ll make sure to note down the important stuff going forward so I have better clips, but let me know if this is the type of short hand stuff that would make consuming the show easier for people. Also, for everyone that listens I changed the intro for the show, added a video element now so that it translates well to the YouTube form of the podcast. That is also included in this YouTube video, can also be found on our Twitter I will try to attach that link here as well. Thanks as always for following along.

YouTube:

I listened to the whole thing over the weekend. Really good stuff and Stuen was a good listen. Really liked the details of the European trip, wish we could have had more honestly. I can't ever remember having a staff this impressive from top to bottom.

27 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I listened to the whole thing over the weekend. Really good stuff and Stuen was a good listen. Really liked the details of the European trip, wish we could have had more honestly. I can't ever remember having a staff this impressive from top to bottom.

The Europe trip was awesome to hear about. It was also interesting to hear Harriman mentioned. Kind of shows how deep SLU’s roots were in over seas recruiting under previous SLU regimes and how much of a reputation we still have as guys like Stuen continue to look for new talent abroad. 

A whole lot of new coming at you, and there are some can't miss things:

1) A new regular episode of the show, featuring a new segment from @Pistol (I'm bored and I decided to have some fun, so if you hate it, it likely won't stick long, and if you love it then maybe I'll do more like it)

2) A new interview with Brian Daly in which he drops these great gems:

- a story about Majerus pissing in a trash can, on the court, during practice

- Majerus telling Kwamain he could guard Daly if he was laying down

- plus a whole lot of very candid conversations about situation one and more during the Majerus era

*This episode will not be available on YouTube immediately

3) A re-watch of the 2000 SLU/Cincinatti game with former Billiken Justin Love and @billikenfan05

The first two are up, the re-watch should be up shortly so long as my computer continues to be nice to me. Links, plus clips down below. Majerus clips from the Daly episode will be up shortly on our YouTube as well.

Episode 77:

iTunes:https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755#episodeGuid=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.spreaker.com%2Fepisode%2F32520119

Spotify:https://open.spotify.com/episode/13xzqvtvSXkNSAjsEeDXNo?si=vJRDzCP_Qn2ATNnB872V1Q

Spreaker:https://www.spreaker.com/episode/32520119

YouTube:

Episode 78: An Interview with Brian Daly

iTunes:https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755#episodeGuid=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.spreaker.com%2Fepisode%2F32528024

Spreaker:https://www.spreaker.com/episode/32528024

Pistol and TheChosenOne like this

Just now, The House That Rick Built said:

A whole lot of new coming at you, and there are some can't miss things:

1) A new regular episode of the show, featuring a new segment from @Pistol (I'm bored and I decided to have some fun, so if you hate it, it likely won't stick long, and if you love it then maybe I'll do more like it)

2) A new interview with Brian Daly in which he drops these great gems:

- a story about Majerus pissing in a trash can, on the court, during practice

- Majerus telling Kwamain he could guard Daly if he was laying down

- plus a whole lot of very candid conversations about situation one and more during the Majerus era

*This episode will not be available on YouTube immediately

3) A re-watch of the 2000 SLU/Cincinatti game with former Billiken Justin Love and @billikenfan05

The first two are up, the re-watch should be up shortly so long as my computer continues to be nice to me. Links, plus clips down below. Majerus clips from the Daly episode will be up shortly on our YouTube as well.

Episode 77:

iTunes:https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755#episodeGuid=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.spreaker.com%2Fepisode%2F32520119

Spotify:https://open.spotify.com/episode/13xzqvtvSXkNSAjsEeDXNo?si=vJRDzCP_Qn2ATNnB872V1Q

Spreaker:https://www.spreaker.com/episode/32520119

YouTube:

Episode 78: An Interview with Brian Daly

iTunes:https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755#episodeGuid=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.spreaker.com%2Fepisode%2F32528024

Spreaker:https://www.spreaker.com/episode/32528024

Almost forgot, as always don't forget to subscribe on YouTube, plus wherever you listen to our podcast, and make sure to turn your notifications on for YouTube as well, this will give you updates on new posts from us, because I will be putting out more and more clips that won't go up anywhere but here. Thanks as always for following along. I know there are a lot of places to subscribe and follow so we appreciate you guys taking the time to give us your attention.

Dr. Holly Hills and SLU_Lax like this

I'm listening to episode 77 now and not watching so I had no idea what the hell was going on until I decided to look at the YouTube and see if the same thing was happening.  I assumed it first you had screwed something up with the editing.  Not a fan of the random snippets from @Pistol interspersed in the episode.   To be clear, I like having Pistol on there, but not the way you edited the episode.  It is way too choppy and the breaks in what he's saying aren't natural.  IMO episodes should be clear and straightforward rather than confusing the listener by jumping back and forth between an interview about recruiting and the other stuff you and Zach are talking about.   This is a basketball podcast, not a Tarantino film.

hmart23 likes this

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm listening to episode 77 now and not watching so I had no idea what the hell was going on until I decided to look at the YouTube and see if the same thing was happening.  I assumed it first you had screwed something up with the editing.  Not a fan of the random snippets from @Pistol interspersed in the episode.   To be clear, I like having Pistol on there, but not the way you edited the episode.  It is way too choppy and the breaks in what he's saying aren't natural.  IMO episodes should be clear and straightforward rather than confusing the listener by jumping back and forth between an interview about recruiting and the other stuff you and Zach are talking about.   This is a basketball podcast, not a Tarantino film.

@billikenfan05 and I were not able to record at the same time. The editing was a function of that scheduling conflict, not an artistic choice.

My current appearance, however, is an artistic choice similar to that made by Joaquin Phoenix in his I'm Still Here phase.

Reinert310 and RUBillsFan like this

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

@billikenfan05 and I were not able to record at the same time. The editing was a function of that scheduling conflict, not an artistic choice.

My current appearance, however, is an artistic choice similar to that made by Joaquin Phoenix in his I'm Still Here phase.

I think it would have been better to just do the Colin (@The House That Rick Built) and @billikenfan05 segment first and then have all of your stuff together as another segment instead of being split up into little chunks and dropped in kind of randomly.

Edit: Again, love the content and appreciate trying different things, I just don't care for the choppiness.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think it would have been better to just do the Colin (@The House That Rick Built) and @billikenfan05 segment first and then have all of your stuff together as another segment instead of being split up into little chunks and dropped in kind of randomly.

Edit: Again, love the content and appreciate trying different things, I just don't care for the choppiness.

Yeah I totally get it no offense taken. Knew it was choppy. Can you tell I am ready for basketball season? 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Also, I don’t know about you but any Billikens content we make is a Tarantino film. Treat it with such respect! Lol

SLU_Lax likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Great stuff! A guy sitting in the chair over your left shoulder wearing a gimp mask would have really put this over the top for me.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Thank you for participating with the pod casts.  It is nice to put a face to your name.

Zach helped me pre game during last season to get my phone set up so I could see the pod casts.

I think what all of you are doing that gives me more information about my favorite team is great no matter how it is delivered. 

Great job all.

4 minutes ago, The House That Rick Built said:

Also, I don’t know about you but any Billikens content we make is a Tarantino film. Treat it with such respect! Lol

Haha.  I was actually thinking of a way you could get the Tarantino format to work on the Podcast.  The dream would be put all of the Majerus stories together from various Majerus era guys (Evans, Ellis, BIancardi, Daly, etc.).  Take the crazy stories and kind of chop them up and put them into an order that makes it really fun.   Basically an oral history of the Majerus era in Tarantino format.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Haha.  I was actually thinking of a way you could get the Tarantino format to work on the Podcast.  The dream would be put all of the Majerus stories together from various Majerus era guys (Evans, Ellis, BIancardi, Daly, etc.).  Take the crazy stories and kind of chop them up and put them into an order that makes it really fun.   Basically an oral history of the Majerus era in Tarantino format.

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t look at the idea of making something of a doc/film just for Billikens basketball period, but the amount of time might really be over my head.

Also, unfortunately the blood aspect of Tarantino films would not translate as well to this story..... sadly.

27 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Great stuff! A guy sitting in the chair over your left shoulder wearing a gimp mask would have really put this over the top for me.

Well, it's been over four months now since you were in that room, so I guess we'll just have to be patient.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, The House That Rick Built said:

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t look at the idea of making something of a doc/film just for Billikens basketball period, but the amount of time might really be over my head.

Also, unfortunately the blood aspect of Tarantino films would not translate as well to this story..... sadly.

The lack of blood* is made up for with pretty much every other bodily fluid / excretion in Majerus stories.  🤢🤮

* - with the exception of the Lisch bloody face, but I can't remember if that was Majerus era.

6 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

The lack of blood* is made up for with pretty much every other bodily fluid / excretion in Majerus stories.  🤢🤮

* - with the exception of the Lisch bloody face, but I can't remember if that was Majerus era.

I'm almost completely certain that was when Soderberg was coach — probably during his freshman season.

• 3 weeks later...