The House That Rick Built Podcast

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When SLU under Brad Soderberg played at Pacific (UOP) in Stockton in the '06-'07 season, I was introduced to a gentleman who played for the Billikens in the early '60's.  I was asked by the person introducing us if I knew what the former player's job (on the team was).  I didn't and asked.  The person introducing us told me his job was to guard Oscar Robertson (then of Cincinnati).  I asked the former player how he did.  His response:  Not too good.

brianstl likes this

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I thought YOU dunked on him?  Different game? Different opponent?

As 05 pointed out, Sloan dunked on Channing Frye of Arizona. Then the very next game at Georgia Tech he got dunked on (sort of as he was just kind of there). As Sloan mentioned during the podcast (you really should listen to it) he was the sportscenter top 10 plays of the weeks for back to back weeks because of the two dunks.

billikenfan05 likes this

10 minutes ago, kshoe said:

As 05 pointed out, Sloan dunked on Channing Frye of Arizona. Then the very next game at Georgia Tech he got dunked on (sort of as he was just kind of there). As Sloan mentioned during the podcast (you really should listen to it) he was the sportscenter top 10 plays of the weeks for back to back weeks because of the two dunks.

That alley-oop wasn't even the first ridiculous dunk in that game by GT. Muhammad also dunked it from what looked like barely inside the FT line from my angle.

We were only down 2 at half. Came out of halftime and GT went nuts. Then we pulled closer over the last 9 minutes or so to make the score look more respectable. It was just that third quarter of the game that was out of control, and the play that Sloan got dunked on was basically the end of that big run GT went on. That was Will Bynum's first game of the season after sitting for some NCAA issue.

That game was associated with the Peach Bowl. We played at the Hawks' arena and they called it the Peach Bowl Classic - which was weird, because the Peach Bowl itself wasn't for another few weeks.

That GT team was stacked - Jarrett Jack, Will Bynum, Luke Schenscher, and eventually Mario West all wound up playing in the NBA. B.J. Elder was their leading scorer, Ismail Muhammad was their highlight machine who could jump out of the gym, and none of them were seniors. Marvin Lewis was the senior that year and their third-leading scorer.

The even crazier part is that all of them were back the next season along with a freshman (Anthony Morrow) who would eventually make the NBA, too - and they somehow finished 20-12, 8-8 in conference. Preseason #3 team, 5 future NBA players, 5 seniors, 8 top-100 recruits and that's the best Paul Hewitt could get out of them. Unreal.

Zink and brianstl like this

40 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That alley-oop wasn't even the first ridiculous dunk in that game by GT. Muhammad also dunked it from what looked like barely inside the FT line from my angle.

We were only down 2 at half. Came out of halftime and GT went nuts. Then we pulled closer over the last 9 minutes or so to make the score look more respectable. It was just that third quarter of the game that was out of control, and the play that Sloan got dunked on was basically the end of that big run GT went on. That was Will Bynum's first game of the season after sitting for some NCAA issue.

That game was associated with the Peach Bowl. We played at the Hawks' arena and they called it the Peach Bowl Classic - which was weird, because the Peach Bowl itself wasn't for another few weeks.

That GT team was stacked - Jarrett Jack, Will Bynum, Luke Schenscher, and eventually Mario West all wound up playing in the NBA. B.J. Elder was their leading scorer, Ismail Muhammad was their highlight machine who could jump out of the gym, and none of them were seniors. Marvin Lewis was the senior that year and their third-leading scorer.

The even crazier part is that all of them were back the next season along with a freshman (Anthony Morrow) who would eventually make the NBA, too - and they somehow finished 20-12, 8-8 in conference. Preseason #3 team, 5 future NBA players, 5 seniors, 8 top-100 recruits and that's the best Paul Hewitt could get out of them. Unreal.

Those two Arizona teams Sloan played were loaded too. Sloan’s junior season Iguodala and the fore mentioned Will Bynum were coming off their bench.  He transferred to Tech a few games after the SLU game. That is why Bynum was sitting for Tech before the SLU game the next season.  That first game against Arizona they had six future NBA players.

• 4 weeks later...

After a few weeks off we are back and trying something new.

‪Episode 76: An Interview With Ford Stuen‬

‪Our first video episode as well, which is now up on YouTube‬

‪Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755#episodeGuid=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.spreaker.com%2Fepisode%2F30117500‬

‪Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6vX5NxSVD3BcM2gV8awGfa?si=jjo8fSaxSyqpIaRGPnkHbQ‬

‪Spreaker: https://www.spreaker.com/episode/30117500‬

‪YouTube: 

05 and whoever your partner is--------Great job on the podcast with Stuen.  Personally, I just can't listen to 2-3 hour podcast the way you have been doing them, but I just sat through this video version from start to finish and thought it was great, even with the few glitches that you had to deal with.  It was really enjoyable and very worthwhile for any Billikens fan.  Thanks

10 hours ago, bauman said:

05 and whoever your partner is--------Great job on the podcast with Stuen.  Personally, I just can't listen to 2-3 hour podcast the way you have been doing them, but I just sat through this video version from start to finish and thought it was great, even with the few glitches that you had to deal with.  It was really enjoyable and very worthwhile for any Billikens fan.  Thanks

Because I don’t say my name at the beginning of every episode. Just giving you a hard time, I’m happy you liked it. As the season comes back and there are video highlight packages I can include and clip into the show, different media elements that can be added etc. First try and obviously as you said there were glitches we ran into. Curious did you throw this up on a tv, or just watch on your computer/mobile device? 

49 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

For those of us unwilling to take in 2.5 hours of this sort of thing: any highlights? new info?? updates on players/ summer workouts???  Gimme the 45-second version, please!

I will be cutting up more clips from the show of important quotes and putting those up on our YouTube channel. Make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss any important information! 

TheChosenOne likes this

2 hours ago, The House That Rick Built said:

Because I don’t say my name at the beginning of every episode. Just giving you a hard time, I’m happy you liked it. As the season comes back and there are video highlight packages I can include and clip into the show, different media elements that can be added etc. First try and obviously as you said there were glitches we ran into. Curious did you throw this up on a tv, or just watch on your computer/mobile device? 

on my computer

57 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

For those of us unwilling to take in 2.5 hours of this sort of thing: any highlights? new info?? updates on players/ summer workouts???  Gimme the 45-second version, please!

We have been clamoring for more bills content for years now, and you want to do this?

no wonder we don’t have a scout.com or whatever the equivalent is nowadays 

support billiken content creators

RUBillsFan, AGB91 and brianstl like this

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

You don't have to listen to it all in one sitting.

7 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

You don't have to listen to it all in one sitting.

or any of it, ever.  I doubt if I'm the only one wanting a digest of this material; but if so I guess you all just have a lot more time on your hands.  It was an innocent question, just wondering.  Often HoosierPal and others give a useful digest of the radio shows, for those not able to catch it; how is this different??  I don't get the pushback...

3 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

or any of it, ever.  I doubt if I'm the only one wanting a digest of this material; but if so I guess you all just have a lot more time on your hands.  It was an innocent question, just wondering.  Often HoosierPal and others give a useful digest of the radio shows, for those not able to catch it; how is this different??  I don't get the pushback...

Not complaining about the feedback at all. It will be something that I will add to our content list, maybe a 10 minute clip with the important takeaways from the show. At least we have a better idea of what everyone is wanting. 

38 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Fair point.

As long as people are actually consuming the content  -  I just think when there are actually people churning out good content, we need to support it fully. Stu's half ass stuff I'm not too interested in it. When Carter or THTRB put out good content, I think its in our best interest to consume it

Just a lot of interesting personal info on F. Stuen.  As long as his answers were, I couldn't help but think of Rick M.  Ask a question and 10 minutes later, Ford S. and Rick would get around to answering the original question.  In both cases the listener/viewer gained insight into a number of things.

One substantive point made by Ford was an encouraging description of M. Strickland as a highly skilled player.

An interesting 10 minutes or so on Ford's trip to Europe and what was gained for him and the Billikens in addition to finding Lorentsson. 

Way TOO MUCH time at the beginning discussing Ford's suits and shoes.  It seemed like 45 minutes, but was likely only 15-20.

After watching the podcast, I think Stuen is the perfect balance to an AC group of Bailey, Tate and the newest addition with his Gonzaga experiences

Just now, Littlebill said:

Fair point.

As long as people are actually consuming the content  -  I just think when there are actual people churning out content, we need to support it fully. Stu's half ass stuff I'm not too interested in it. When Carter or THTRB put out good content, I think its in our best interest to consume it

Exactly.  And I damn near never have 2+ hours to just sit there and listen to a podcast.  I usually break it into chunks - 10 minutes in the car, 20 minutes while I'm drinking my morning coffee, 30 minutes after the kids go to bed, etc.  And for the most part, the interviews are not like the Ford interviews on the radio - they often don't translate well to a short synopsis on a message board.  I mean, you can list the things Chris Sloan or Jeff Harris or Elliott Welmer talked about in their interviews, but it's not much of a substitute for actually listening to it.

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

Just a lot of interesting personal info on F. Stuen.  As long as his answers were, I couldn't help but think of Rick M.  Ask a question and 10 minutes later, Ford S. and Rick would get around to answering the original question.  In both cases the listener/viewer gained insight into a number of things.

One substantive point made by Ford was an encouraging description of M. Strickland as a highly skilled player.

An interesting 10 minutes or so on Ford's trip to Europe and what was gained for him and the Billikens in addition to finding Lorentsson. 

Way TOO MUCH time at the beginning discussing Ford's suits and shoes.  It seemed like 45 minutes, but was likely only 15-20.

After watching the podcast, I think Stuen is the perfect balance to an AC group of Bailey, Tate and the newest addition with his Gonzaga experiences

HAHA I can see this. Felt good to get some insight into his personality. But when you add in his Majerus level answers it did go long. 

bauman likes this

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Exactly.  And I damn near never have 2+ hours to just sit there and listen to a podcast.  I usually break it into chunks - 10 minutes in the car, 20 minutes while I'm drinking my morning coffee, 30 minutes after the kids go to bed, etc.  And for the most part, the interviews are not like the Ford interviews on the radio - they often don't translate well to a short synopsis on a message board.  I mean, you can list the things Chris Sloan or Jeff Harris or Elliott Welmer talked about in their interviews, but it's not much of a substitute for actually listening to it.

This. And I'll pop a single ear bud in when I'm cooking, doing dishes, etc. You'd be surprised how much podcast time you can take in during household tasks.

There's no need to be daunted by a 2.5 hour run time. It's not a live sporting event. Just break it up as you go about your day.

Plus, the podcast format is perfect for longer, more thorough conversations/presentations. And if you find yourself in a stretch that isn't particularly compelling, hit the 30-second fast forward a few times. (Stuen's sister runs a fashion Instagram/website, I think, and he clearly puts some time into his threads. You had to expect some of that. It's like expecting Majerus not to talk about Italian food.)

3 hours ago, The House That Rick Built said:

Not complaining about the feedback at all. It will be something that I will add to our content list, maybe a 10 minute clip with the important takeaways from the show. At least we have a better idea of what everyone is wanting. 

I actually wonder if your number of listeners would increase if you split this into two separate pods - each about an hour when you edit and trim some fat?  You could also provide some commentary on the topics covered in each pod at the start and end to build upon the fans perspective of the conversation.  As you have seen, many people shy away from listening based on the length alone.  I feel that you could take this route to still utilize the full interview, increase your pod downloads and provide the content you are looking to provide without sacrificing a large portion of the interview.

Excited to listen to this and happy to share feedback to help increase your listener base.  The more people interested in the Bills, the better!