The House That Rick Built Podcast

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

This was by far Crews's most egregious offense. Barnes was good enough on his own to start on those bad Crews teams. And he didn't want him even though it would have at least helped get Tatum. 

Barnes also played for Brad Beal Elite (then still the Eagles I think).  Crews didn't seem to understand developing relationships with AAU teams/coaches that could pay dividends down the road.  Instead of going all over the place, it would have made more sense for someone with such limited recruiting prowess as Crews building pipelines with a few programs.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Barnes also played for Brad Beal Elite (then still the Eagles I think).  Crews didn't seem to understand developing relationships with AAU teams/coaches that could pay dividends down the road.  Instead of going all over the place, it would have made more sense for someone with such limited recruiting prowess as Crews building pipelines with a few programs.

crewsplatt was still recruiting with a 1985 mentality.  

Sloan talked about his dislike of the A-10 with the difficulty in recruiting top end talent to the league like we did in the C-USA days and the lack of SOS. Would leaving the A-10 for a conference like the AAC (a lot of old C-USA teams) help us reach those prospects that we currently can't and give us some more OOC breathing room for possible NCAA at-large berths? 

38 minutes ago, nimble said:

Sloan talked about his dislike of the A-10 with the difficulty in recruiting top end talent to the league like we did in the C-USA days and the lack of SOS. Would leaving the A-10 for a conference like the AAC (a lot of old C-USA teams) help us reach those prospects that we currently can't and give us some more OOC breathing room for possible NCAA at-large berths? 

Better than A-10 but not likely to change recruiting caliber much. More entertaining matchups for fans. Depending on the year, 1-2 more at large opportunities to be had, so it gives SLU more OOC breathing room.

Overall assessment: It seems like a lot of effort to move leagues for not a tremendous amount of upside (I have no idea what the financial difference is) + we don't have any football which makes it an odd fit for SLU.

Stay put and compete for an A-10 title every year. Big East inclusion is the only league that makes a ladder step difference for SLU IMO. 

8 hours ago, nimble said:

Funny bc Sloan was not good enough to be an impact player in the C-USA 

10 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Funny bc Sloan was not good enough to be an impact player in the C-USA 

Funny that he was the third  in points, second in minutes, second in assists and first in rebounds on a second round NIT team in CUSA that was the best team Soderberg had. That team was pretty much the same as this past season's team quality wise and might have been better if Frericks would have had stayed healthy. Sloan was more than good enough to be a starter on a good team in the A10 and continues over 15 years later to take crap he doesn't deserve.  

RUBillsFan, kshoe, AGB91 and 6 others like this

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Funny that he was the third  in points, second in minutes, second in assists and first in rebounds on a second round NIT team in CUSA that was the best team Soderberg had. That team was pretty much the same as this past season's team quality wise and might have been better if Frericks would have had stayed healthy. Sloan was more than good enough to be a starter on a good team in the A10 and continues over 15 years later to take crap he doesn't deserve.  

Even funnier that he’s in this thread. 

Billiken Rich likes this

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Even funnier that he’s in this thread. 

The interview was really enjoyable and it's clear that Chris is paying a lot of attention to the current Billikens program and cares about it's success. There were some great tidbits in there but the part about him meeting Channing Frye and Channing immediately calling Richard Jefferson about it because his boys/teammates had been making fun of him for years for being dunked on by Chris is awesome. It was also interesting hearing his thoughts on Mizzou and how he wanted to go there, was told no by Quin and his current thoughts on why they won't play us. Just a really well done 3 hours and good way to spend an afternoon working in the yard without a Cardianls game to listen to. 

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Indeed.  Perhaps he's confusing "impact player" with "star player."

And is that poster just going to ignore Sloan's hair game which was always on point? As Frank Cusumano would say, women wanted to be him and guys wanted to be with him.

brianstl likes this

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

And is that poster just going to ignore Sloan's hair game which was always on point? As Frank Cusumano would say, women wanted to be him and guys wanted to be with him.

👊  You may have that last part reversed 😂

Hair game is fading fast. I'm holding on for dear life over here!

3 minutes ago, Billiken '04 said:

Frank had a slip of the tongue when Arnold Palmer died - he accidentally reversed it for one of the best sound bytes of all time.

TheChosenOne likes this

5 minutes ago, Billiken '04 said:

Haha. Stupid inside joke, Frank made that mistake one time (I forget who he was talking about) and it was pure gold, but I think he had the recording destroyed haha.

The interview was a great listen.

04 i hope you become a regular poster here.    you could really raise the billiken knowledge tremendously!  Thanks

Billiken '04 likes this

I will always remember Sloan for his dunk over I think it was a Georgia Tech player.  Chris' contributions were decent, ala Luke Meyer.  I likened both to all-pro offensive linemen ....... in the trenches doing the dirty work.  You play tough D, rebound, and are an occasional offensive option.  Not the 'go to' guy but solid.

Guys in pro ball like that get a lot of pub ..... Rodman, Rambis, AC Green, Draymont Green, Ivaroni, Ben Wallace .... but not so on the college level.  Yet those names were key guys on winning teams.

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I will always remember Sloan for his dunk over I think it was a Georgia Tech player.  Chris' contributions were decent, ala Luke Meyer.  I likened both to all-pro offensive linemen ....... in the trenches doing the dirty work.  You play tough D, rebound, and are an occasional offensive option.  Not the 'go to' guy but solid.

Guys in pro ball like that get a lot of pub ..... Rodman, Rambis, AC Green, Draymont Green, Ivaroni, Ben Wallace .... but not so on the college level.  Yet those names were key guys on winning teams.

Luke Meyer 🧐. I need a better publicist! 

Also, I definitely got dunked on in the GT game... Look at that hustle though 😂

04 how did Romar approach/convince you to become the power forward?   I remember when it happened i was like what?   Obviously you ended up doing a fine job as our PF.   

Thanks for being a billiken.

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

04 how did Romar approach/convince you to become the power forward?   I remember when it happened i was like what?   Obviously you ended up doing a fine job as our PF.   

Thanks for being a billiken.

Minutes. 

I was going to be behind Marque, Fish, Edwin, for the next two years. Romar said he was open to playing small and I was open to getting playing time. 🤷‍♂️ 

Props on the Biancardi interview. Among others, the story about Eckerle trying to guard Derrick Rose in the secret game was great. Reminded me of my futile attempts at trying to guard guys who were just way more athletic than me.