• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755

New pod is out to get you ready for the Arch Baron Cup on Friday. Sully from UD joined the podcast to give a Dayton perspective. 

Sully's a good guest. I've really enjoyed him, Carter, and Petey Buckets.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755

New pod is out to get you ready for the Arch Baron Cup on Friday. Sully from UD joined the podcast to give a Dayton perspective. 

Just a few small production critiques:  1. The beeping was annoying.  2.  Is there anyway to get the volume levels to be the same?  Colin was pretty quiet and then your volume level was substantially higher.  

Great job on the podcast, but wanted to provide some feedback.

48 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Just a few small production critiques:  1. The beeping was annoying.  2.  Is there anyway to get the volume levels to be the same?  Colin was pretty quiet and then your volume level was substantially higher.  

Adding to this - turn your phones on silent.

nimble likes this

On 1/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, moytoy12 said:

most recent podcast a was opposite for me. Had to turn it up to hear Zach and was begging for Collin to be quieter. Good content though

billikenfan05 likes this

It would be interesting to hear from Mike McCall. Of all the guys from that era, he remains a bit of a mystery to me. I don't recall ever hearing from him in an interview. He was overshadowed by guys like Jett and Evans, but was an extremely steady, valuable player who was an important part of a lot of winning. Even the way he played was very stoic. Very little emotion or expression. It was hard getting a sense of what was going in on his head. Perhaps he's a bit shy and wouldn't want to be interviewed, but I would like to hear his perspective on his time at SLU.

1 hour ago, hmart23 said:

most recent podcast a was opposite for me. Had to turn it up to hear Zach and was begging for Collin to be quieter. Good content though

Yeah, the volume on the last one was way off. Was really hard to listen to without adjusting the volume depending on who was talking.

1 hour ago, hmart23 said:

Same experience here. I know people are calling in but there must be some way to calibrate the sound so there's one volume.

3 more unsolicited pieces of advice: Let each other finish (got chippy in this one), be ready with your reference tools (schedules, stats, etc.), and don't be distracted by your phone/computer when it might be your turn to talk again.

hmart23 likes this

On 1/22/2020 at 12:48 PM, ACE said:

It would be interesting to hear from Mike McCall. Of all the guys from that era, he remains a bit of a mystery to me. I don't recall ever hearing from him in an interview. He was overshadowed by guys like Jett and Evans, but was an extremely steady, valuable player who was an important part of a lot of winning. Even the way he played was very stoic. Very little emotion or expression. It was hard getting a sense of what was going in on his head. Perhaps he's a bit shy and wouldn't want to be interviewed, but I would like to hear his perspective on his time at SLU.

The thing I’ll always remember most about McCall is how much he shut down Rotnei Clarke in the A-10 tournament. Mike wasn’t that big, but he had really long arms. I think he’s as good as any perimeter defender I’ve seen at SLU other than Javon Bess (was too young during Josh Fisher era to really remember). 

11 minutes ago, NH said:

The thing I’ll always remember most about McCall is how much he shut down Rotnei Clarke in the A-10 tournament. Mike wasn’t that big, but he had really long arms. I think he’s as good as any perimeter defender I’ve seen at SLU other than Javon Bess (was too young during Josh Fisher era to really remember). 

He doesn't get enough credit for how good of a defender he was.

NH likes this

Collin and Zach,

Thanks for the podcast. Good discussion and you make some fair points but some of your analysis was a little off in places. I was at the game and here are my thoughts about it. First, Davidson did triple team Has' when he received it in the post but they did it in a way that Has' was strongly double-teamed to the point where he had no place to move and they put the third defender in position to take away the passing lane in front of the rim. Once there was no cutter entering the lane, the third defender collapsed on Has' and he was in a desperation situation. slu72 pointed out that we should have brought Has' to the foul line to either find a cutter if anyone cuts, or he can drive more effectively from there. I agree that we don't send any cutters in the lane when Has' is double-teamed on the block which we should, but there were just no openings at all for him to move or pass. This was just excellent coaching by McKillop and now is the template for how to stop Has'. Also, Davidson didn't use the zone much at all. It was almost all man D and Davidson just shut us down.

Has' needs to develop a pull-up 6 to 8 footer but for some reason he hasn't. For all his ability to handle the ball, drive, and spin to the rack, he is a one-trick pony when it comes to his offensive game. He is no threat to shoot from anywhere but within 3' of the rim. One thing about his shot attempts that bugs me is that he'll often receive the ball on the right block, begin to pivot to the left, his shooting hand side, then spin the other way, shoot a shot from 2' further away with his off-hand and miss. Just not smart basketball. His percentage on those shots is awful. Maybe in other games some of his shot attempts would have been called fouls but not Wednesday night. The best way to beat Davidson was for us to get Brajkovic in foul trouble and, for one reason or another, we couldn't do it.

Another thing I noticed is how ineffective Hargrove was offensively. Despite his great athleticism, he is basically a standstill offensive player. He just doesn't seem to have great ball skills, doesn't create his own shot, and isn't a pure shooter. I believe he can develop the skills to do this but it's not there now.

Zach, you were absolutely right in describing Davidson's offense versus ours. I often ask the question, what is our offense designed to create, and most of the time I'm stumped. You're right in that it's time to end the Jacob's starting experiment and go with Perkins as a starter with Weaver getting 15 to 20 minutes a game, more if he's hot from the arc.

Defensively, our guards were abused by Gudmundsson, Grady, and Carter Collins. One reason for that is that both Gudmundsson and Grady are 6'5 and Collins is 6'3. They took advantage of the height difference all night. The first problem is that Jacobs at 6'2 has the potential to defend either of them but he is so ineffective offensively he has to sit. Then, you've got either Weaver or Collins guarding players 5-7" taller than them. You said that Davidson's guards don't drive but both Grady and Gudmundsson took both off the dribble and either scored, shot over them, or drew fouls. The other thing is that Carter Collins, the player who replaced Frampton in the lineup is better than Frampton. Collins is a much better defender and just as good a shooter.

As far as the rebounding goes, keep in mind that 40% of the FG attempts in the game were three point attempts and 65% were missed. As usual, many of the misses resulted in long rebounds that Davidson tracked down before we did. This doesn't mean we weren't hustling, it's just that sometimes the ball bounces the other team's way more often than not. I've always thought that long rebounds as a result of missed threes is one of the uncontrollable variables in a game as you just never know to what part of the court the ball will carom to and which player will be there when it does.

As far as Collin's concern about Perkins not rebounding, that's not the problem. Between French and Goodwin, there just aren't that many rebounds left to get. Also, you can't send 4 guys to the offensive board as you have to have one or two players back to stop the fast break. Most teams send either two or three players to the offensive glass and the other players rotate back to stop transition.

At any rate, it was a game where Davidson embarrassed us and exposed all of our weaknesses. Travis was acting like a maniac on the sidelines way more than usual, and I thought it was a bad look. I hope he can calm down enough to figure out some ways to maximize our strengths and cover up some of the weaknesses. Time to earn that cash, Coach.

almaman and billikenfan05 like this

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, been a long time since I posted about new episodes in here but we have a lot of new stuff that just came out so wanted to kind of put everything on here in one place.

First of all, we have episode 53 of The House That Rick Built, with special guest Tom Blackburn from the Blackburn Review to preview the Dayton match up. We also include audio in our recap of Duquesne from Travis Ford, just a lot of different things in this episode so please feel free to drop your comments on here. Not always the best at responding but I see them and they are all noted. 

iTunes:https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-53/id1450098755?i=1000464879102

Spotify:

Spreaker:https://www.spreaker.com/episode/22504378

Next thing is a new blog from me, really just an attempt at ignoring what just happened in favor of enjoying this weekends match up. Read if interested below:

https://www.bigredworld.org/post/the-sky-might-be-falling-but-the-sun-always-rises

Lastly, new video up on our instagram make sure to give that a follow.

Thanks for following along, enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Myself and @Pistol have finally finished our write up for this season. It's about a 26 minute read so it's a long one. As you will hear on Wednesday's episode we were initially going to have Carter Chapley involved as well but schedules have been hectic with everything going on, and 26 minutes already feels long enough. You can read this blog at the link below:

https://www.bigredworld.org/post/2019-2020recap

If you have comments, thoughts, hated what I said, etc. I will be on here for another hour or two to talk this blog with everyone on here as well.

With this pandemic cutting short seasons or canceling them altogether, we know there is a vacuum of Billikens content so here's hoping we can fill this somewhat. Coming the next few weeks we will have what looks like two interviews per week, plus a couple of other shows that we have been developing. The schedule as it stands is in concrete:

- Former Billiken Aaron Burg on Wednesday

- Jack Raboin Part One Friday

- Jack Raboin Part Two Next Wednesday (4/1)

These are the ones I'm confident posting about at this time but we have a lot more on the way to hopefully make this more bearable. Look for more updates on our show schedule Wednesday.

55 minutes ago, The House That Rick Built said:

Myself and @Pistol have finally finished our write up for this season. It's about a 26 minute read so it's a long one. As you will hear on Wednesday's episode we were initially going to have Carter Chapley involved as well but schedules have been hectic with everything going on, and 26 minutes already feels long enough. You can read this blog at the link below:

If you have comments, thoughts, hated what I said, etc. I will be on here for another hour or two to talk this blog with everyone on here as well.

With this pandemic cutting short seasons or canceling them altogether, we know there is a vacuum of Billikens content so here's hoping we can fill this somewhat. Coming the next few weeks we will have what looks like two interviews per week, plus a couple of other shows that we have been developing. The schedule as it stands is in concrete:

These are the ones I'm confident posting about at this time but we have a lot more on the way to hopefully make this more bearable. Look for more updates on our show schedule Wednesday.

good read

6 hours ago, The House That Rick Built said:

Absolutely no chance Has averages 5-6 assists per game. I'd bet as we add Jimerson to the mix the amount they double and triple Has goes down. Even if they double him every touch he won't exceed 5 assists per game. Otherwise good read

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Absolutely no chance Has averages 5-6 assists per game. I'd bet as we add Jimerson to the mix the amount they double and triple Has goes down. Even if they double him every touch he won't exceed 5 assists per game

I really went back and forth on this. I know I was assist happy on the preseason pick giving everyone inflated numbers in the assist categories but at times I saw Has be really effective kicking the ball out from the post especially because of the defensive scheme against him. If they stop doubling and tripling down it surely could change, so maybe I should have said I wouldn't be surprised if Has is still being doubled and was up around 5-6 assists per game with kickouts to Jimerson / Perkins / Jacobs etc. but that doesn't mean I expect him too hit that number nor does it mean defenses are likely to maintain the same defensive plan after the conference season Perkins had. Far too often I talk in possibilities, not what will actually happen so I was probably being too hopeful or starry eyed about this team which I'll accept. I still see his assist numbers going up regardless.

11 hours ago, The House That Rick Built said:

I really went back and forth on this. I know I was assist happy on the preseason pick giving everyone inflated numbers in the assist categories but at times I saw Has be really effective kicking the ball out from the post especially because of the defensive scheme against him. If they stop doubling and tripling down it surely could change, so maybe I should have said I wouldn't be surprised if Has is still being doubled and was up around 5-6 assists per game with kickouts to Jimerson / Perkins / Jacobs etc. but that doesn't mean I expect him too hit that number nor does it mean defenses are likely to maintain the same defensive plan after the conference season Perkins had. Far too often I talk in possibilities, not what will actually happen so I was probably being too hopeful or starry eyed about this team which I'll accept. I still see his assist numbers going up regardless.

I get it but even if they keep doubling and triple teaming him all game. To get 5 assists he'd have to have probably 12-13 kick outs with immediate open looks or players driving off the ball. Many times when a big kicks it out it isn't the player he kicks it to that gets the open look, it's the 2nd or 3rd player. Teams can soft double and still close on the shooter but it's the next rotation that finds the open man. 

If Has has 5-6 and Yuri I think will be 6-7 minimum we are at 12 between 2 players.