The House That Rick Built Podcast

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tatum had to be smart enough to not sign with Crews no matter who else was there.  Just playing with Barnes doesn't do it for me.  Could it have been not adding Tatum to the staff?

Crawford almost ended up as a grad transfer at Notre Dame?

Really want to hear someone rail on Crews.  Crawford stepped around it a lot.  He did dig on Platt.

Next podcast needs to be Mcbroom & Evans, with neither of them knowing the other guy is going to be on the show.

NCAA tourney team loses a couple games because of fatigue, Crews' answer is to double the practice time? 

Lets do a live Podcast with Crews somewhere where MBMs can show up and just yell at him.

26 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Tatum had to be smart enough to not sign with Crews no matter who else was there.  Just playing with Barnes doesn't do it for me.  Could it have been not adding Tatum to the staff?

Crawford almost ended up as a grad transfer at Notre Dame?

Really want to hear someone rail on Crews.  Crawford stepped around it a lot.  He did dig on Platt.

Next podcast needs to be Mcbroom & Evans, with neither of them knowing the other guy is going to be on the show.

NCAA tourney team loses a couple games because of fatigue, Crews' answer is to double the practice time? 

Lets do a live Podcast with Crews somewhere where MBMs can show up and just yell at him.

Let’s do our best no to have McBroom associated with our program. He’s frequently been in headlines for all the wrong reasons but this one has to take the cake:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/tanyachen/dad-of-youtube-channel-the-ace-family-called-disgusting-for

11 hours ago, billikenbill said:

The Crawford interview was epic. Well done guys from “House That Rick Built.”

Agreed. I tuned in thinking I would listen to about five minutes just to get the flavor.  85 minutes later I was still there, and could have listened to another 60.  Love Mike’s response style: remain inscrutable, yet impart some damn interesting information.  I can think of twenty additional questions I would have asked him.  Unique in that he transcends the last elite Majerus/Crews year, the two horrific Crews years, and Ford’s first year.

8 hours ago, brianstl said:

It was Barnes.  

What is the story on that?  I remember Billikenswin cryptically posting that there was a story that would never be told concerning Tatum's recruitment and how it reflected well upon Crews' integrity.  

29 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

What is the story on that?  I remember Billikenswin cryptically posting that there was a story that would never be told concerning Tatum's recruitment and how it reflected well upon Crews' integrity.  

crews had integrity?

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

This was my guess, as well. Very interesting to hear him say that it was basically one person not agreeing to one thing that kept Tatum from coming here. Tatum to SLU under Crews is one of the more interesting thought experiments as it relates to SLU basketball fandom. Crazy how close it was to happening.

This was another great interview overall. Well done, @The House That Rick Built duo. Even if people aren't subscribing to the podcast, the interview episodes are required listening for SLU basketball fans. Even for the most hardcore of us, there's been a ton of new stories and details in both of them that most of us have never heard. And some great anecdotes about bus drivers, Reggie Agbeko the matchmaker, and small town Indiana basketball.

It was interesting to me to think about the respective career arcs of the two interview subjects so far. Conklin's was a very steady increase that ended in a very successful senior year and two NCAA Tournament games. Crawford's arc started with being in the NCAA Tournament, inexplicably not getting any minutes in either game, and then never returning.

It made me take a look at Crawford's career stats. He describes his freshman year as the seniors basically running the show while Crews was mostly hands-off until the end, and he only played 7.5 MPG. He increased minutes significantly each year - 19.0 sophomore, 26.9 junior, and 31.2 senior. The middle two were in Crews' system, and the last under Ford. His efficiency went down quite a bit his senior year; FG% dropped 48 basis points, 3P% dropped almost 80 bps, and FT% dropped 125 bps. But his assists more than doubled. I wonder if he just wasn't a fit for Ford's new system, if it was a learning curve, if he had a high level of pressure as a senior and a roster in transition. Probably all of the above, but interesting nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

crews had integrity?

At the end, that's all he had.  He had grown too impatient to be an effective communicator.  And his roster construction made no sense. Crawford brought up an excellent point about the motion offense and only a couple of people understanding it.  Why would you recruit you a bunch of freshmen who don't understand motion offense if the team's success depends on it?

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

crews had integrity?

Here is the post re: Tatum recruitment:

Billikenswin   

On 4/14/2016 at 5:55 PM, For-DaLove said:

That is simply not true. Sorry.

You are absolutely correct. This is completely false. But there is a background story that will never be told and it proves Coach Crews to be a man of honor and integrity.

I still believe [dead] was an idiot, a product of his upbringing.  The guy played and coached under Booby Knight -- literally the cat that wouldn't change his spots.  A dinosaur destined for extinction.  Same can be said for Majerus.  However, the major distinction is that [dead] had no resume of any success.  [dead] wasn't a basketball savant.  [dead] wasn't asked about his life on a napkin.  Majerus was never a player, at least not one of any worth.  Majerus was a coach, plain and simple.  After apprenticing under Booby for many years, [dead] got one job -- Evansville.  Rumor was [dead] would cut his HC teeth there and replace his great mentor.  Seventeen years later, they canned his arse after what was steadily turning into a mediocre run.  Just look at Kevin Mooney at Richmond today.  It happens a lot.  Guy was the very definition of stagnant when Evansville let him go.  Why Army would pick him up I have no clue except service academy ball is not high level and maybe he thought 'Knight, Coach, K, why not me?'  There he posted a 29% win percentage where we al know he got canned for abusing a cadet. 

The only reason Majerus picked him up was Jensen going to Akron, [dead] was available, and since Army was paying him, cheap/free.  He survived on Majerus fumes.  Why would anyone be surprised at where he led us given his closing runs at Evansville and Army? 

I like to think his roster construction showed just how far off he was.  He didn't have a system, he didn't have the rep to get players and he didn't know what players he even needed.  But the hire had to be made.  And here we are.

If we had gotten Tatum because we hired his dada, what would that have left us?  My guess .. nothing.  And a few more years of [dead] trying to figure it out.

22 hours ago, The House That Rick Built said:

I think our questions would change based on the interview subject. Any chance you guys could book the interview and then open up this thread to possible questions for that subject?

Majerus obviously saw something in Crews we don’t. I think there is merit to Crawford saying he really was a good father figure and x and o’s guy, he just didn’t adapt and it didn’t work with his recruits or team and his only good team was doing their own thing without him. 

I did wish we heard more about Ford and current mumblings since I’m sure he is still involved after still being enrolled at SLU

Surprise Interview!

Episode 16:
- George Mason recap
- Duquesne preview
- Interview with new commit Jimmy Bell Jr. 
- Women's Hoops
- And more

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/17225182

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755?mt=2&i=1000431090147

Thank you again for following, hope you enjoy the Jimmy Bell interview!

Just finished the Crawford interview.

Great listen.

Thanks.

The interviews are great. Ever think about getting any of the old timers?

Erwin Clagget, Rich Grawer, Monroe Douglas something along that line.

I know it would be a long shot but H Waldman would be great. I bet he has some serious stories from his UNLV days.

Tark, Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Greg Anthony, Isiah Rider those teams were stacked and had huge personalities.

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I know it would be a long shot but H Waldman would be great. I bet he has some serious stories from his UNLV days.

Tark, Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Greg Anthony, Isiah Rider those teams were stacked and had huge personalities.

I just ran into former student/athlete who went to UNLV during that time, and was told some stories. Those boys were some styling, profilin, limousine ridin, jet flyin, kiss stealin, wheelin n dealin mother f'ers.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, TheChosenOne said:

Good work guys, I have really enjoyed the Conklin and Crawford interviews. I think a McBroom/Lancona joint interview is a necessity as well as @jimbofiveinterviewing Jolly.

I'd interview him with a paintball gun and a bullhorn while he fiddlefuoked around in that washbasin.  Finish him off with the water hose and a sandwich.