Off topic: Screw Stan Kroenke

Bonner89

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

As much as I don't like the NFL or what it did, I still like watching football and would support a new team.  I also believe that having an NFL team gives your city a certain level of credibility.  For instance, I bet most people wouldn't guess that Buffalo's entire metro region has barely over $1million residents, since they view it as an NFL city.

Here is my proposal for settlement.  The NFL pays off our debts relating to the dome and anything else we are out, they build us a new stadium, and give us a team.  The team is owned by the City and County jointly.  This would only be for purposes of who gets the profits.  The team would be run by an independent board (former players and such) that would ensure that the team is run properly and adequately funded.

An article I just read from a year ago said that each NFL team last season received a $296 million last season in national revenue sharing.  I would assume that each team brings in about another $50 million or so on its own.  So, let's assume team revenue of $350 million.

The salary cap last year was $208 million.  That's just the players.  Let's guess high and say that it costs another $92 million to pay coaches, staff, stadium upkeep, etc.  That puts expenses at $300 million with revenue of $350 million.  This means that the City and County could share $50 million each year to do with what they want.  To Pistol's point above, this could be a true life raft to the City and County and be used to actually help the residents.  Most profits seen by an NFL team go to one guy who is already very rich.  How amazing would it be for City and County to own the team and receive those benefits to be used to improve the lives of their residents. 

There is absolutely zero chance the NFL returns to St. Louis, especially after this lawsuit. And even if it remained a possibility, the value of an NFL franchise far exceeds the NFL's potential liability.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

As much as I don't like the NFL or what it did, I still like watching football and would support a new team.  I also believe that having an NFL team gives your city a certain level of credibility.  For instance, I bet most people wouldn't guess that Buffalo's entire metro region has barely over $1million residents, since they view it as an NFL city.

Here is my proposal for settlement.  The NFL pays off our debts relating to the dome and anything else we are out, they build us a new stadium, and give us a team.  The team is owned by the City and County jointly.  This would only be for purposes of who gets the profits.  The team would be run by an independent board (former players and such) that would ensure that the team is run properly and adequately funded.

An article I just read from a year ago said that each NFL team last season received a $296 million last season in national revenue sharing.  I would assume that each team brings in about another $50 million or so on its own.  So, let's assume team revenue of $350 million.

The salary cap last year was $208 million.  That's just the players.  Let's guess high and say that it costs another $92 million to pay coaches, staff, stadium upkeep, etc.  That puts expenses at $300 million with revenue of $350 million.  This means that the City and County could share $50 million each year to do with what they want.  To Pistol's point above, this could be a true life raft to the City and County and be used to actually help the residents.  Most profits seen by an NFL team go to one guy who is already very rich.  How amazing would it be for City and County to own the team and receive those benefits to be used to improve the lives of their residents. 

Should I assume you plan on using the Dome?

11 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

There is absolutely zero chance the NFL returns to St. Louis, especially after this lawsuit. And even if it remained a possibility, the value of an NFL franchise far exceeds the NFL's potential liability.

Good points and I will add St. Louis and the NFL do not like each other.

The NFL sent St. Louis on a snipe hunt to keep the Rams in town.  The group jumped through hoops to get an approval for a  billion dollar stadium on the River front.  The group spent several million dollars made all of the NFL milestones and the NFL allowed the Rams to move.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an unprecedented pay day coming to the plaintiffs and I look forward to seeing the pain.

The league isn't coming back to STL for a third round. There are several other markets that would be more attractive for either expansion or relocation. STL is one of the largest non-NFL markets left but it isn't growing, has a bad relationship with the league, and building and sustaining enthusiasm for a team that wouldn't be good for a while would be tough. Those later Rams seasons had very little energy or support. We just need to let it go.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

The NFL is filled with smaller market teams. In fact, I think there are 13 NFL markets smaller than STL.  I don't know how old you are and perhaps being considered an NFL city is more important for younger people, but as an old man in his upper 30s, the size of Buffalo's metro (or my perception of Buffalo's size) and their status as an NFL city has zero impact on my decision to visit and spend money in Buffalo. The only reason I would ever visit Buffalo is if I were passing through on my way to Niagara Falls. Sure, that label is cool but I doubt it generates much of an economic impact on its own.  My opinion of Buffalo from 750 miles away doesn't really benefit Buffalo in any way. I doubt San Diego tourism is down because the Chargers left. That's not to say labels can't have an economic impact on cities. Whether true or not, being labeled "most dangerous city in America" has definitely hurt St. Louis. 

Upgrading the dome and convention center into one of the top conventions centers in the country would bring more money to city and county coffers than any NFL team would. 

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

Tell that to San Antonio, Portland, Sacramento, etc. 

This line of thinking is a testament to how powerful the NFL propaganda machine is.

portland still has a city?

thatskablamo, AGB91 and HenryB like this

3 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

+1 Definitely wouldn't be the most efficient use of settlement money.

What needs to happen regardless of hypothetical settlement money is a complete redesign of Tucker Blvd. between Cole Street (Square office) and Clark (City Hall). 8 lanes of traffic is absolutely insane. Scale it down to 4 lanes at most and make it pedestrian- and biker-friendly. It would reduce traffic (what little there is), traffic accidents, and no more drag racing down Tucker. Area could be used for festivals, markets, gathering space to watch the Blues in their next Stanley Cup in the year 2095, etc. Great example is Lancaster Blvd. in Lancaster, CA:

https://www.cnu.org/what-we-do/build-great-places/lancaster-boulevard

Obviously some differences between Lancaster/Lancaster Blvd and St. Louis/Tucker Blvd and the built environment around them but endgame is the same. I'm sure @SShoe has even better ideas. Also curious how you’d spend settlement money if awarded  😃

I have no idea how any potential winnings could be used, but I think you're right on the money, Slu let the dogs out.  Downtown's current road network could definitely use a diet and some major improvements.  Would make it safer and far more appealing to pedestrians. Some targeted real estate investments paired with those improvements wouldn't be the worst thing either.    

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The NFL is filled with smaller market teams. In fact, I think there are 13 NFL markets smaller than STL.  I don't know how old you are and perhaps being considered an NFL city is more important for younger people, but as an old man in his upper 30s, the size of Buffalo's metro (or my perception of Buffalo's size) and their status as an NFL city has zero impact on my decision to visit and spend money in Buffalo. The only reason I would ever visit Buffalo is if I were passing through on my way to Niagara Falls. Sure, that label is cool but I doubt it generates much of an economic impact on its own.  My opinion of Buffalo from 750 miles away doesn't really benefit Buffalo in any way. I doubt San Diego tourism is down because the Chargers left. That's not to say labels can't have an economic impact on cities. Whether true or not, being labeled "most dangerous city in America" has definitely hurt St. Louis. 

Upgrading the dome and convention center into one of the top conventions centers in the country would bring more money to city and county coffers than any NFL team would. 

when you’re passing thru Buffalo on your way to Niagara Falls, be sure to stop at the Anchor Bar, where Buffalo wings were born.  Be sure to enjoy a beef on weck  along with your wings.

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I heard a blurb on the radio this morning about and I think this is so far fetched, although it has to have been leaked for some reason

I’ve heard/seen from multiple sources that it’s being discussed. How realistic it is, I’m not sure. It would probably depend on getting a better idea on a dollar amount that might be headed back to STL in damages, and whether they really trust Kroenke to cover all (or most) of it.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I’ve heard/seen from multiple sources that it’s being discussed. How realistic it is, I’m not sure. It would probably depend on getting a better idea on a dollar amount that might be headed back to STL in damages, and whether they really trust Kroenke to cover all (or most) of it.

For this work the NFL will have to pay for the entire cost of getting the team plus a new stadium.

39 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

For this work the NFL will have to pay for the entire cost of getting the team plus a new stadium.

That would be  worth more money  than St. Louis would win.

I have read several stories that St. Louis should win about a billion.

Even if the NFL would do the deal you mentioned St. Louis should take the billion pay off the debt and use the rest to renovate the city.

I was a fan of The Big Red and the Rams and I am finished with the NFL I wonder if team would be supported in St. Louis?

The only way STL ends up with a team (plus stadium) is if the judgement/damages are so extreme ($5-10B) to the point that Kroenke defaults on his indemnification contract with the other owners...leaving them to hold the bag and willing to offer a team plus X billion dollars for stadium/facilities as a means to end the ordeal.

The magnitude of the damages hinges on whether the increased value of the franchise as a result of the move are recoverable damages and/or are factored into the punitive damages. 

It's not impossible but it's a long shot and many developments away in an absolute best case scenario. 

My prediction is that the NFL and the Rams are humiliated in court and after many years of appeals the Kroenke estate pays STL and the lawyers $1-3B in damages.

CBFan, Adman and Reinert310 like this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

That would be  worth more money  than St. Louis would win.

I have read several stories that St. Louis should win about a billion.

Even if the NFL would do the deal you mentioned St. Louis should take the billion pay off the debt and use the rest to renovate the city.

I was a fan of The Big Red and the Rams and I am finished with the NFL I wonder if team would be supported in St. Louis?

People keep saying St. Louis would get this money but they are only one of 3 suing the NFL.  The City would not get all of it.  The debt on the Dome is held by the Convention Center Group and the County has dog in the fight.  I have seen where the case could be easily worth up to 2 billion.  If the NFL powers don't want to have their dirty laundry aired in court then they will have to pay up for it.