Ingvi leaving the team

gobillsgo

If you want a kid to be content riding the pine for two years before he gets any playing time, your best bet is a local kid. There are local players headed to an SIUE or an Eastern Illinois who would be fine playing spot minutes for the hometown tournament team. A kid who traveled 3500 miles just to get here? Not so much.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Well, can u blame him? 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I wouldn’t feel to bad for Thor.

The scenery is beautiful, the fish are huge, and the women are ridiculously hot.

5af5b3dc5e48ec4f008b4571-750-562.jpg

5a23b26489d42e5dca26e526b54f40aa_L.jpg

iceland1.jpg

Beautiful.The water looks so calm, I guess that's the deep end she's standing by?

no disrespect but thor was never more than the equal of a walkon.  he was physically weak not overally fast and sorry i didnt see this great shooter as well.  maybe he was good compared to most of this team (which is nothing to be compared to).   i would watch in warmups and kept thinking "the walkon from wesclin is as good as he is and slightly bigger".  i was hoping i was wrong but when he just never got in the games it pretty much summed things up.   my guess we were looking for practice players someone got to the staff and pitched this kid and of course we all knew about his big brother and his success, so heck roll the dice.   or maybe it was just a favor to someone to bring him in.  

the real evil in this is still recovering from s2, pierson turning on us and the  issues of gordon and the guy i cant even remember his name anylonger from preseason who also got in trouble.  

i dont see a great loss with thor.   sorry it didnt work out but i am not upset as i was with losing henriquez.   coach has another scholarship at this point as someone else pointed out, he needs to figure out how to balance these recruiting classes imo.   we DO NOT want 6 freshmen next year.  

one last thing on Thor, i will say that one shot as soon as he got in his only game from about 40 feet was maybe as ballsye as i've ever seen.   i still lmao every time i think about it.  

TRN, 2010andBeyond and kappy96 like this

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you want a kid to be content riding the pine for two years before he gets any playing time, your best bet is a local kid. There are local players headed to an SIUE or an Eastern Illinois who would be fine playing spot minutes for the hometown tournament team. A kid who traveled 3500 miles just to get here? Not so much.

Fair point

almaman likes this

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

no disrespect but thor was never more than the equal of a walkon.  he was physically weak not overally fast and sorry i didnt see this great shooter as well.  maybe he was good compared to most of this team (which is nothing to be compared to).   i would watch in warmups and kept thinking "the walkon from wesclin is as good as he is and slightly bigger".  i was hoping i was wrong but when he just never got in the games it pretty much summed things up.   my guess we were looking for practice players someone got to the staff and pitched this kid and of course we all knew about his big brother and his success, so heck roll the dice.   or maybe it was just a favor to someone to bring him in.  

the real evil in this is still recovering from s2, pierson turning on us and the  issues of gordon and the guy i cant even remember his name anylonger from preseason who also got in trouble.  

i dont see a great loss with thor.   sorry it didnt work out but i am not upset as i was with losing henriquez.   coach has another scholarship at this point as someone else pointed out, he needs to figure out how to balance these recruiting classes imo.   we DO NOT want 6 freshmen next year.  

one last thing on Thor, i will say that one shot as soon as he got in his only game from about 40 feet was maybe as ballsye as i've ever seen.   i still lmao every time i think about it.  

Santos   

Thor has to do what is best for him, and yes there were multiple factors that prevented him from perhaps getting some playing time (FIBI, the surgery). There is no point in keeping someone in a team against his desires when all he is doing is sitting on the bench. All the best to him and may he find a place that is willing to give him playing time early.

8 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Yeah that was awesome.

Thankfully he missed. Can you imagine the outcry on here if he sinks that shot and still never cracks the rotation?

His legend would have grown to unbelievable levels.

People would have been calling for Fords head for not playing him. 

Relphorde

Knollmeyer

Mitchell

Cotto

Thompson

Reid

Smith

Jordon

Reed

Salecich

and the Greek kid who’s probably most comparable to Ingvi. 

My point is people transfer or get in trouble and leave. It happens everywhere we just care more and it means more when it is your team.

apologies for the formatting

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Relphorde

Knollmeyer

Mitchell

Cotto

Thompson

Reid

Smith

Jordon

Reed

Salecich

and the Greek kid who’s probably most comparable to Ingvi. 

My point is people transfer or get in trouble and leave. It happens everywhere we just care more and it means more when it is your team.

apologies for the formatting

Apology not accepted. I can't take your post seriously when you post in old man size font

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

It wasn't a good sign that he didn't get on the floor when his parents were in town to see him...…...

Well given that we have been playing close games it really is not incumbent for the coach to put anybody in that could turn the game the wrong way.  My guess is he was really homesick more than anything else - he blew a year of eligibility for basically nothing.

38 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well given that we have been playing close games it really is not incumbent for the coach to put anybody in that could turn the game the wrong way.  My guess is he was really homesick more than anything else - he blew a year of eligibility for basically nothing.

Not sure that will count against him playing for Rekaviik U. 

I wish Ingvi luck. It seems clear to me he just wasn't good enough to play at this level. This team was desperate for shooters and the coaches saw him in practice every day and yet he still never made it on the court.

As Sshoe is well aware, just because your older brother is awesome at sports doesn't mean you'll be equally good... 

DirtyRican and SluSignGuy like this

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I wish Ingvi luck. It seems clear to me he just wasn't good enough to play at this level. This team was desperate for shooters and the coaches saw him in practice every day and yet he still never made it on the court.

As Sshoe is well aware, just because your older brother is awesome at sports doesn't mean you'll be equally good... 

Should I way in on this?

SShoe likes this

Transfers are just the reality.  Think there is a stat that said nearly 40% of kids leave their first school by end of sophomore year.  With the ncaa relaxing the transfer rules that is only going to go up.  SLU is certainly going to lose some...key is we need make sure we get some too...next year for sure.

Good luck young man sorry it did not work out.  You took a big leap to the US nothing ventured nothing gained.

The writing was on the wall for this young Icelander that he would not see the court very much in the future because he had been recruited over by a superior shooter.

Also there is a walk-on better than him now.

14 minutes ago, kappy96 said:

Transfers are just the reality.  Think there is a stat that said nearly 40% of kids leave their first school by end of sophomore year.  With the ncaa relaxing the transfer rules that is only going to go up.  SLU is certainly going to lose some...key is we need make sure we get some too...next year for sure.

Has the NCAA also changed the graduation rate equation also?

HoosierPal likes this

If the last guy on your roster breaks into your rotation as a freshman, your recruiting has gone horribly wrong. Reserve the 13th scholarship for a local kid who shoots 40% from three, 80% from the line and values a SLU degree.  The kid gets what he wants and we get the additional shooter we want, who can be groomed to contribute down the road. Your program can never have enough shooters. Problem solved.

The timing of the transfer makes me assume that Thor is transferring to another D1 school. Leaving SLU before Monday allows him to be eligible after the first semester next season.  Maybe someplace closer to Davidson and his brother.  The downfall of Wow in St Louis had to make it much more expensive for his family to see both kids even a few time a year.

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The timing of the transfer makes me assume that Thor is transferring to another D1 school. Leaving SLU before Monday allows him to be eligible after the first semester next season.  Maybe someplace closer to Davidson and his brother.  The downfall of Wow in St Louis had to make it much more expensive for his family to see both kids even a few time a year.

Maybe wash u or some other D3 school.