• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

https://es.pn/2ATEhTT 

Enough with the Isabell talk.

This French alley oop was fun. If anyone has the ability, a gif of Goodwin and French doing the raise the roof celebration would be cool. That's the kind of things p5 schools do.

I like the turn back the clock “raise the roof” celebration.

Goodwin bringing a 90s feel to the Fetz.

A few thoughts on the Net calculations:

- While it is true that the efficiency calculations suggest it is better not to give away possessions at the end of the game, it's impact feels overstated in some of these articles.

- The efficiency stats make up ~20% of the NET and if you are talking about 4-5 possessions at the end of a game that included 100 possessions, it's really not that big of a deal.

- This isn't really all that new by the way. While the RPI was the metric everyone talked about in the past, the NCAA has gone out of its way to say they look at various metrics, including computer programs like Pomeroy, etc. Many of those other computer programs include margin of victory in their calculations. So acting like the NCAA never cared about margin of victory before is not right.

- I remember at the beginning of the year, people were complaining about the 10 point cap and how "unfair" it was that teams like Duke didn't get full credit for their 30 point walloping of Kentucky. Now it's being complained that efficiency isn't capped? You'll never satisfy everyone.

- Nobody really knows what goes into the NET as the formula has not been made public. It's quite possible the NCAA could tweak the efficiency metric to have diminishing value in blowouts and we wouldn't even know it.

With all that being said, I think teams in big blowouts may lean a little longer to keeping their starters in the game but it's a mistake long-term to not get your bench players court time, get your starters rest and to be classy when it comes to closing out big wins. Running it up just to very modestly improve your NET is not a good long-term strategy.

25 minutes ago, kshoe said:

A few thoughts on the Net calculations:

- While it is true that the efficiency calculations suggest it is better not to give away possessions at the end of the game, it's impact feels overstated in some of these articles.

- The efficiency stats make up ~20% of the NET and if you are talking about 4-5 possessions at the end of a game that included 100 possessions, it's really not that big of a deal.

- This isn't really all that new by the way. While the RPI was the metric everyone talked about in the past, the NCAA has gone out of its way to say they look at various metrics, including computer programs like Pomeroy, etc. Many of those other computer programs include margin of victory in their calculations. So acting like the NCAA never cared about margin of victory before is not right.

- I remember at the beginning of the year, people were complaining about the 10 point cap and how "unfair" it was that teams like Duke didn't get full credit for their 30 point walloping of Kentucky. Now it's being complained that efficiency isn't capped? You'll never satisfy everyone.

- Nobody really knows what goes into the NET as the formula has not been made public. It's quite possible the NCAA could tweak the efficiency metric to have diminishing value in blowouts and we wouldn't even know it.

With all that being said, I think teams in big blowouts may lean a little longer to keeping their starters in the game but it's a mistake long-term to not get your bench players court time, get your starters rest and to be classy when it comes to closing out big wins. Running it up just to very modestly improve your NET is not a good long-term strategy.

I understand your points but apparently by not being transparent the NCAA is leaving things up to everyone's imaginations thus allowing for potential false narratives developing.  So, is the Buffalo coach wrong?

9 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

https://es.pn/2ATEhTT 

Enough with the Isabell talk.

This French alley oop was fun. If anyone has the ability, a gif of Goodwin and French doing the raise the roof celebration would be cool. That's the kind of things p5 schools do.

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I understand your points but apparently by not being transparent the NCAA is leaving things up to everyone's imaginations thus allowing for potential false narratives developing.  So, is the Buffalo coach wrong?

Wrong, no. Exaggerating, yes.

10 minutes ago, GoBills73 said:

7800 reported by rammer. I hate the start time but whatevs. Students were awesome. 

did the students get anything beyond the t-shirt?   pizza, beer, etc?  they definitely had a good night last night.   a student section like that is awesome.  

the band's "Hey Baby" was good.    summarized, it was "hey, charlie, what do the scouts think now?"   lol.   gotta love it.  

my grandson told me that "thing" was pretty creepy.   luckily he was out getting dip n dots at halftime when the hawk came to the row right in front of us to take a picture with some fans.   he would have really been freaked out. 

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

did the students get anything beyond the t-shirt?   pizza, beer, etc?  they definitely had a good night last night.   a student section like that is awesome.  

the band's "Hey Baby" was good.    summarized, it was "hey, charlie, what do the scouts think now?"   lol.   gotta love it.  

I think they were fed Jimmy Johns too. That was some of the best student participation I've ever seen.