GDT Thread - SLU vs St Joe' - The Flappening

philliken

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A healthy Wiley has the potential to transform the entire offense as we saw tonight. If you can have him and Hankton going at the same time it really gives us some options from outside. I really thought the ball movement was excellent tonight.

As for this ridiculous discussion concerning "Layup Gate"...give me a break. Those guys were likely jawing at each other all game. Then the flagrant was called on Tremaine. More jawing likely ensued and Tremaine was simply fed up. Was it necessary for him to score there? No. Is it ridiculous that people are bent out of shape about it? Absolutely. The dude is a competitor. I love the fire. I love the swagger. And I also love the fact that our Points Per Possession went from 1.000 to 1.046 on that 3 point play. Margin of victory matters and the efficiency ratings matter. The one thing holding us back in the NET Ranking right now is the fact that our Offensive Efficiency Ratings have been bad. We have a great record, quality wins, no really bad losses, a decent schedule, and one of the most efficient defenses in the country (13th on Kenpom after tonight). The only thing we lack is a better Offensive Efficiency Rating. Tremaine's 3 point play at the end helped that for tonight. Furthermore, I like the idea of being the league's bad boys as Rammer mentioned on the broadcast. It fits our physical style of play. This just adds to that persona.

I'd be shocked if Ford's "handling" of this internally involves more than asking TI to not do that again. If he tries to punish him with less playing time against Duquesne he's out of his mind.

billikens747 and GBL_Bills like this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Just win baby is what a lot of us said and hoped for before the game, and that is exactly what they did. 5-0, NICE. Just got back from the game. Very nice game, lots of people, do not know how many but it was pretty full. The student section was packed and Andre + whoever is dressed like the Billiken were doing a wonderful job of getting the students to participate. We (the whole arena) did waves for a while which I had not seem at the Chaifetz before. Kudos to Andre and to the Billiken character, they are great to have.

The game was nice, for a while in the second half it was superb with a lot of offensive power in it. Great stuff! Wiley popped a lot of threes, Bess and French were wonderful, Goodwin worked the PG well. Hankton played for a while but his foot is not well yet. Jacobs played for a while and managed not to make dumb passes, he was looking a lot more confident. Then he got tangled with one of them and injured a foot/ankle, was taken back and came back up (after a fair amount of time with some ankle support). I really believe they must have done and X Ray and found no fracture (thank God) for the support he had on was not adequate for a fracture. So let's count it as a bad sprain, he will probably be back playing this season.

Heard the interview with Ford after the game while getting out of the parking. Ford was pretty happy.

Great game, go Bills, 5-0 Wow!

The wave is for Miss America contestants, little kids getting on school busses, and politicians … not for sporting events. If you participated in the wave at the game, please give yourself a 2 game suspension as a 1st time offender. Also, Get off my lawn

AGB91, Ironbills and NH like this

Just now, slufanskip said:

The wave is for Miss America contestants, little kids getting on school busses, and politicians … not for sporting events. If you participated in the wave at the game, please give yourself a 2 game suspension as a 1st time offender. Also, Get off my lawn

I hate the wave but they do it at lots of sporting events.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I forget where I saw this but some coach was complaining that the NET was causing teams to run up scores and he did not like the way things were going.  So your right - if every point counts there is no reason for a team to take it easy period.  This will eventually cause a problem that the NCAA will not be happy with.

The NCAA has put a premium on the "eye test," and the efficiency metric is a way of quantifying the eye test.  They want to put teams in the NCAA Tournament that look like they belong in the Tournament.  It's less about the best teams and more about the prettiest teams, for the sake of television.

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I hate the wave but they do it at lots of sporting events.

The best time I had participating in the wave was at a Promise Keepers conference in Memphis.  It was amazing, because we did it during a praise and worship song, and the wave went around six or seven times.  It can't work that way at a sporting event, because the action on the field/court pulls the spectators' attention back to it.

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Seriously if you are worked up about Isabell get over it. Ford also needs to get over it. You’re soft if you think you should let off the throttle 

I turned to my wife when the Bills went up twenty three and said I hope we don't take our foot off of the gas......and then the rest of the game happened

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Great article - hope Ford reads it.  So the NCAA has essentially taken "sportsmanship" out of the game.  The rule of unintended consequences rears its ugly head again.  

slufanskip and almaman like this