PD Article on Moving Goodwin Back to Point

HoosierPal

The major difference I see is that Goodwin brings the ball up the court the majority of the time instead of Isabell.  Isabell has the tendency to cough up the ball against pressure in the backcourt.  The halfcourt offense looks virtually the same.  But if Goodwin feels good about the "position shift", then I fully support it.  We need him at his best to win this conference.

CBFan likes this

The move seems to have injected him with confidence. That's a good thing. He needed it. As for Isabell, it seems he's taking the ball into the middle of the lane more and either getting off a shot, not always a good one, or dishing to an open inside guy.

One thing to watch going forward is Goodwin's confidence in his 3 pt shot. He opened 4-4 against FU, then went 0-3. Still, a pretty good % for any 3 point guy. I think I read where Bess had talked to him about joining him in the gym for those 6:00am shoot arounds. If true, maybe his 3 pt shot is coming around. That would be a Yuuuuge plus for us.

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The move seems to have injected him with confidence. That's a good thing. He needed it. As for Isabell, it seems he's taking the ball into the middle of the lane more and either getting off a shot, not always a good one, or dishing to an open inside guy.

One thing to watch going forward is Goodwin's confidence in his 3 pt shot. He opened 4-4 against FU, then went 0-3. Still, a pretty good % for any 3 point guy. I think I read where Bess had talked to him about joining him in the gym for those 6:00am shoot arounds. If true, maybe his 3 pt shot is coming around. That would be a Yuuuuge plus for us.

i want to join them in the gym @ 6am.... id hold a boombox over my shoulder and towel out 

BilliKat and jimbofive like this

I thought it was curious that Ford ever wanted to move Goodwin to the 2 considering shooting might be his one weakness.  I dont want to turn this into a Coach Ford bash thread though.  

I am just happy the offense has looked much more fluid the last 3 or 4 games.  Isabell seems much more comfortable attacking the defense after receiving the first pass too.  

The change of having the threat of French catching and scoring from the free throw line has really opened everything else up.  

If I was an opposing coach, I would be in a 2-3 zone for all 40 mins....

the real reason imo that the offense has looked better is french imo.   he has been given room to work and has done a great job on both ends of the floor which then translates to everyone else's efforts as well.  

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

1 minute ago, SShoe said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like Goodwin plays better on the road than he does at home?  

it feels that way, but idk if stats prove that correct. 

If Isabell could hit at just an open 3 at a mediocre rate, some of these games wouldn't be nearly as close.  Shot .34% last year, and only .28% this year.

Just now, wgstl said:

it feels that way, but idk if stats prove that correct. 

If Isabell could hit at just an open 3 at a mediocre rate, some of these games wouldn't be nearly as close.  Shot .34% last year, and only .28% this year.

Isabelle and Wiley's 3pt % this year relative to their careers gives me hope for positive regression going forward. 

RIP HUMPS likes this

2 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Waiting on Isabell to find his. We all know he can do it

For this team to hit the levels we know it can, Isabell needs to catch fire.  He needs to demonstrate that he can go for 20+ at any time.  His high this season was in Game 1 with 18.  This needs to be repeated a couple of times, with higher % FG rates. He doesn't have to hit 20 every game, but he needs to dominate a game or two so that opponents have to focus on him as much as Bess and French.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

For this team to hit the levels we know it can, Isabell needs to catch fire.  He needs to demonstrate that he can go for 20+ at any time.  His high this season was in Game 1 with 18.  This needs to be repeated a couple of times, with higher % FG rates. He doesn't have to hit 20 every game, but he needs to dominate a game or two so that opponents have to focus on him as much as Bess and French.

Agree. Much Like Hines he has hit big shots here and there in his stinky stat games but we need him to do it steadily to really justify his signing. So far he's performed at the level I always feared from transfers back in the day when it wasn't 10-20% of all players. They never seem to be as good and contribute to the level that we see on paper. With JG now at the point hero ball seems to become less of a problem for him and I think he's now playing solid D surely compared to OOC.

52 minutes ago, almaman said:

Agree. Much Like Hines he has hit big shots here and there in his stinky stat games but we need him to do it steadily to really justify his signing. So far he's performed at the level I always feared from transfers back in the day when it wasn't 10-20% of all players. They never seem to be as good and contribute to the level that we see on paper. With JG now at the point hero ball seems to become less of a problem for him and I think he's now playing solid D surely compared to OOC.

He should shoot fewer jump shots especially threes. Put the ball on the floor and take it to the rim. Best finisher around the rim. 

32 minutes ago, willie said:

He should shoot fewer jump shots especially threes. Put the ball on the floor and take it to the rim. Best finisher around the rim. 

I hope he gets to the rim more with us using 4 & 1 so much seems like should be room but I hope he kicks back to his boss JG when cut off rather then think some how his shot don't smell when there's 6 arm in front of him that he can avoid them. Man Hargrove's wrist action almost double jointed look. He may have a chance to wiggle ball through the trees at a very high level.