La Salle from da'Couch ........

Taj79

STILL snowing here ..... so while I am somewhat mortified I decided to avoid the 150 mile round-trip sojourn on the East Coast's version of the Highway from Hell (I-95), I am somewhat thankful I avoided the consternation such provides.  It shows there is hope for me someday growing up and making adult decisions while being a 'big boy.'

Game was exactly what I thought it would be, the better team eventually won out.  We managed to avoid a letdown of playing in a crappy, half empty gym against an opponent we had every right to underestimate. La Salle had no answer for our offensive rebounding and no match for our Mr. French.  I thought we went away from giving the ball to Hasahn in the second half with any real regularity, which, in turn allowed the Explorers to come back.  Neither Kimbrough, nor Cresswell could stay with him and he regularly abused whomever tried.  I really believe the absence of Gordon has been a boon for French and his interior game.  There is no other defender down there waiting for him.  Just him and the poor bastard he leaves in his dust.  Just needs some relaxation on some finishes and he'll be fine.  Ditto with a few of his walks ---- take your time,big guy.  I thought Moultrie's foul should have been a Flagrant Two because there was no basketball move there at all ---- it was a defensive back tackle on a pure breakaway.  But throwing Moultrie out meant nothing.  More on the refs follows.

I said to my wife at the half, wow, only 17 fouls with only seven on us.  That'll change, watch.  Twenty fouls in the second half and as many said on the GDT, ticky-tack fouls at best.  But the matchups were tough ....while they had no answer for French (injured Myles Brookins would not have mattered either) their four-guard lineup left us with Foreman being under the gun to guard someone small as well.  Saul Phiri had a bad night and I was happy to see Isiah Deas get two fouls in an unproductive first half for him.  And while I advocate the ability to go to the tape in the final two minutes, does that mean we have to?  They went to the tape on DJ's final hustle play and then determined THAT was a change of possession and reset the shot clock?   In a time when the shot clock is immaterial. Anybody see TV Teddie Washington in the close of the FSU/Duke game?  All that plus two timeouts to put .2 seconds back on the clock?  I digress.  

Observations:  I also said to the wife that the good thing about losing a large lead is the charging team using relaxes once the lead is made up.  La Salle was celebrating, lost Goodwin on defense,and BANG dunk city.  Jordan's dunk came at  the 4:53 mark and from there on out, we outscored them 11 to 6.  The dunk didn't win the game obviously, but they smacked us in the face and we responded.  Their momentum seemed to wane at that point.  The late three by Deas only gave them short-lived hope.  Powell was held to five under is average; Phiri 3 under his.  There's 8 points.  Deas' +3 were negated.  Other than emotion and hustle, Carter and Beatty added little.

kshoe asked about recent additions and Phiri was an easy one.  I missed evaluating Jack Clark who went for 14 including three treys.  Clark was rated the #4 prospect in all of PA coming out of high school.  But he tore his ACL at the end of his senior year.  He is just getting back into shape.  He looks like a nice sniper going foward for Ashley Howard. La Salle is consider the fourth of four options in Philly's Big Five (kids go to Penn for other reasons).  I second whoever said they should move to the MAAC and can't do it soon enough.  La Salle has a storied history, but it is much like having Easy Ed McCauley in your lineage ....Tom Gola, Kenny Durrett, Billy Cannon, etc.  Pottsville High School has a better gym than La Salle University.  But they are really binded by the school's North Philly location.  It's a lot like Wrigleyville.

For us watching on NBCSN ---- were Terry Gannon and Ben Braun paid more to advocate for La Salle?  I expect national crews like that to be more impartial.  Of course, homers are homers ---- Hmark, Rammer, Earl.  But with national guys (except Vitale) I expect a little more fact and less cheerleading.

Goodwin is getting back close to last year.  French is coming on.  Bess is Bess.  Hankton was decent.  Isabell not so bad.  We shot almost 50% from the floor and only took 12 threes.  There are few teams in the A10 that can match our physicality but French is the key.  Foreman's 9 was a good sign.  Plus he shot 80% from the floor.  Hankton's two three were nice and needed.  Wiley is back.  Thatch hit his one three.  Nineteen points offthe bench. 

Need to sweep the road trip.

What's 05 drinking?  Lager.  Golden Pilsner.  Lord Chesterfield.  Porter.  Black & Tan.  Premium.  Light Lager.  Light Premium.  So many choices.  P.S. --- growing up, Yuengling was 'rot gut' beer.  Here's to the 'craft movement.'

Umass/YouDee and Mason/Rhodey today on NBCSN.  Go Iggles.

Taj - I figured you were snowed in in Balto (only1 inch here in Philly).  You'll be happy to know that at least one younger grad mistook me  (72 yrs young) for you.  Not sure how a team with LaSalle's record can be over-confident, but I think they saw UMass give SLU a problem on the road while the Explorers beat UMass at UMass.

Keys going forward: Get the real JGood back, Hankton's D improves and shows he can hit 3s at 40%, Isabell continues to play unselfishly, Wiley finds his groove. If we prove we have two guys who are threats from the perimeter, make that 3 w/Bess, the road to Ws becomes a whole lot easier. Until then 1 nail biting 5 scotch game at a time. 

23 hours ago, Taj79 said:

P.S. --- growing up, Yuengling was 'rot gut' beer.  Here's to the 'craft movement.'

St. Louisans make a big deal out of Yuengling because it's not available here.  It's weird.  

My dad tells me that people here were the same way with Coors back in the '60s.

12 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

St. Louisans make a big deal out of Yuengling because it's not available here.  It's weird.  

It was that way here in Ohio until it started being sold here in 2011. Between that year and now, Cincinnati has gone from 3 breweries to ~50 and the state of Ohio has grown from a few dozen breweries to ~275, and there are literally thousands of choices on shelves. The only person I've seen order Yuengling in the past 5 years is my father-in-law.

29 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

It is weird.

Whenever I go to a state that sells Yuengling I get requests to bring cases back. 

Its fine. I’ll order one if available but I don’t need  to stock my beer fridge with it.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

When I was in college people would drive to Colorado ,load up the car with Coors,bring it back and sell for double the price. Me ,all I could afford was a quart of Huber for 89 cents. 

VeniceMenace likes this

as a very active shriner, i believe there are only two kinds of beer, cold and warm.   i'd prefer the cold but i would drink either if provided.  

dlarry likes this

Well, since this has denigrated into a beer thread .....

Yuengling wasn't even  the preferred choice growing up, Bavarian out of Mt. Carbon Brewing in Mt. Carbon, PA was it.  Forty-five cents a quart (Kort) versus .55 cents for Yuengling (YingYang). 

Upon arrival in St. Louis, there was Falstaff served out of Pastori's.  Griesedieck Brothers was still around.  Budweiser and Busch were in full production mode and so too was Michelob.  The 'lights" hadn't arrived with any popularity yet.  For keggers, we opened with kegs of Busch but two kegs in, it was 905 beer.  This was some sort of black-letters-on-a-white-background generic beer sold our of 905 Liquor Stores.  Like roy, if it was cold, who knew the difference.  Just gonna puke on your shoes anyway.  At the frat, Pabst was our delivery man.

The melting pot was in full swing.  Guys from Chicago brought in Old Style and Hamms.  Olympia came from the great Northwest. Our Cincy connection was stocked full of Schoenling's Little Kings or the affectionately known "Hude-pop" from Hudepohl Brewing.  I made a trip to Kansas City, KS for the great Coors fallacy -- and Kansas sold 3.2 beer at the time as did Ohio.  We even had the appropriately named "Blatz" beer labeled out of Milwaukee that was purchased by Pabst in 1959.  Couldn't go wrong at $1.29 ... a six pack!  Poor busted college punks looking for a cheap drunk.  Miller still does Blatz per Wikipedia. 

Over the years, travel came into play long before beers traveled as they do now.  Shiner Bock in Texas.  Natty Bo in Baltimore.  Blue Point Toasted Lager from Long Island.  Anchor Steam in Frisco.  I wish I could find my favorite .. Golden Gate Red Ale ... but it has long since passed.  Abita in New Orleans.  Leinenkugel from Wisconsin.  Polygamy Porter and Wasatch from Salt Lake.  Deschutes from Portland, Oregon.  Now Guiness is brewed right here in Baltimore.  Oh well. 

The two I will always cherish --- 905 and Blatz.  There are some hazy memories in there somewhere.

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Yuengling wasn't even  the preferred choice growing up, Bavarian out of Mt. Carbon Brewing in Mt. Carbon, PA was it.  Forty-five cents a quart (Kort) versus .55 cents for Yuengling (YingYang). 

Upon arrival in St. Louis, there was Falstaff served out of Pastori's.  Griesedieck Brothers was still around.  Budweiser and Busch were in full production mode and so too was Michelob.  The 'lights" hadn't arrived with any popularity yet.  For keggers, we opened with kegs of Busch but two kegs in, it was 905 beer.  This was some sort of black-letters-on-a-white-background generic beer sold our of 905 Liquor Stores.  Like roy, if it was cold, who knew the difference.  Just gonna puke on your shoes anyway.  At the frat, Pabst was our delivery man.

The melting pot was in full swing.  Guys from Chicago brought in Old Style and Hamms.  Olympia came from the great Northwest. Our Cincy connection was stocked full of Schoenling's Little Kings or the affectionately known "Hude-pop" from Hudepohl Brewing.  I made a trip to Kansas City, KS for the great Coors fallacy -- and Kansas sold 3.2 beer at the time as did Ohio.  We even had the appropriately named "Blatz" beer labeled out of Milwaukee that was purchased by Pabst in 1959.  Couldn't go wrong at $1.29 ... a six pack!  Poor busted college punks looking for a cheap drunk.  Miller still does Blatz per Wikipedia. 

Over the years, travel came into play long before beers traveled as they do now.  Shiner Bock in Texas.  Natty Bo in Baltimore.  Blue Point Toasted Lager from Long Island.  Anchor Steam in Frisco.  I wish I could find my favorite .. Golden Gate Red Ale ... but it has long since passed.  Abita in New Orleans.  Leinenkugel from Wisconsin.  Polygamy Porter and Wasatch from Salt Lake.  Deschutes from Portland, Oregon.  Now Guiness is brewed right here in Baltimore.  Oh well. 

The two I will always cherish --- 905 and Blatz.  There are some hazy memories in there somewhere.

What no Stag? The only beer that stayed in our frig. Why? Because it was so bad no one would drink it. 

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

Yuengling is trash

Yuengling is definitely trash, it’s just slightly better trash than Bud/Miller/Coors. It’s like lint vs dirty diapers. While I was in grad school on the east coast, you could usually get a pint of any of the four aforementioned beers for $4 on draft at just about every dive bar. In that circumstance, I would choose Yuengling over the others every time.

Also, at our grad student union you could get Yuengling on tap for $1. People always thought it was an incredible deal (which it was), and then I would tell them about penny pitchers, at which point they would lose their minds. RIP Humps. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

We even had the appropriately named "Blatz" beer labeled out of Milwaukee that was purchased by Pabst in 1959.  Couldn't go wrong at $1.29 ... a six pack!  Poor busted college punks looking for a cheap drunk.  Miller still does Blatz per Wikipedia. 

Yeah, you can still get Blatz in Wisconsin at least. A friend of my parents requests that we bring back a case whenever we drive up there to visit family. It’s a terrible beer. 

Ooooooh, my bad!  Stag. Some things best forgotten.  I will admit to being a lager/amber man.  Irish reds are good ---- Smithwick's, Bass (a pale ale), Killians (if I have to).  Blue Point I like.  I'm not a dark fan although Innis & Gunn from Scotland is damn good.  The ones aged in rum or scotch casks.  I don't mind Yuengling's Black & Tan but you can't buy that in Pottsville ----- they make it the old fashioned wasy there ---- half glass of Porter with half glass of Yuengling Premium.

In Philly, a pint of Yuengling is like $5; in P-ville a local draw is about .25 cents still but it's an 8-ounce glass.  I went home once in the 80s.  Bar had Busch on tap.  I ordered a glass and my brother says 'oh, drinking the expensive stuff.'  It was .35 cents a mug.

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Can't believe you didn't name one of the all-time great St. Louis area beers- STAG! it has survived, while many you mentioned are gone.

I wish they had Stag in North Carolina!