GDT @ La Salle

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Whose fault was that?

I know the company line is that it was all Crews' fault, but I'd put the share at like 60% Crews, 20% Majerus (two straight classes with Jon Manning, Grandy Glaze, Jared Drew, and Keith Carter = empty cupboard), and 20% bad luck (Majerus dying led to zero recruiting for almost an entire season).  

So, when comparing our current frosh who aren't playing much to Crews' recruits, I wonder if the talent level isn't all that different.  What is different is that Bess, Goodwin, French, Isabell, and Foreman are just a little better than Manning, McBroom, Yacoubou, Crawford, and Agbeko.

The biggest mistake Crews made was not going after more transfers when he became the head coach and trying too hard for a total rebuild. 

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, SShoe said:

While watching a recent Oklahoma game on TV, I was actually thinking how 4 of the 6 true Crews recruits ended up being pretty decent players, granted 3 of the 4 are 5th year seniors.    Yarborough was 1st team all MVC and is averaging 17 ppg.  Reynolds is the third leading scorer on a top 25 team.  Bartley averages 6 ppg for a team that beat us.  And we know how Roby ended up.  It's just that none of these guys, sans maybe Yarborough, were ready to come in and be the stars.  

Now try and imagine a team where Thatch, Hankton, Ingvi, and Jacobs are each playing 30 mpg. That's pretty much what we had in Crews' third year.    

We had a good crop of guards. The problem was the bigs. Brett Jolly, Austin Gillmann and Matt Neufeld isn't enough to get it done.

And Majerus just whiffed on the last two recruiting classes, leaving the cupboard bare.

Zink likes this

4 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I know the company line is that it was all Crews' fault, but I'd put the share at like 60% Crews, 20% Majerus (two straight classes with Jon Manning, Grandy Glaze, Jared Drew, and Keith Carter = empty cupboard), and 20% bad luck (Majerus dying led to zero recruiting for almost an entire season).  

So, when comparing our current frosh who aren't playing much to Crews' recruits, I wonder if the talent level isn't all that different.  What is different is that Bess, Goodwin, French, Isabell, and Foreman are just a little better than Manning, McBroom, Yacoubou, Crawford, and Agbeko.

The biggest mistake Crews made was not going after more transfers when he became the head coach and trying too hard for a total rebuild. 

He should of used Crawford more in his COY.

2 minutes ago, SShoe said:

So, when comparing our current frosh who aren't playing much to Crews' recruits, I wonder if the talent level isn't all that different.  What is different is that Bess, Goodwin, French, Isabell, and Foreman are just a little better than Yacoubou, Crawford, and Agbeko.

I think you're oversimplifying things and making a lot of assumptions here:

Majerus was always about roster churn.  If players couldn't stomach his demands or weren't going to contribute, (good or bad) they found their way off the team.  Recruiting misses aren't as harmful if you recognize the player isn't a contributor after 1 year and cut him loose.  I'm not sure having 2 mediocre classes changes much if Majerus is healthy.  Further, you don't know if those guys develop differently under Majerus than Crews.  Also, Glaze / Carter were actually decent players regardless who could / did contribute to winning teams.  I wouldn't count on either to be the top 2-3 option on a team, but I don't think they were total misses.  The fact that Crew rode Majerus team to 2 straight NCAA appearances shows the cupboard wasn't empty at all.  I think the zero recruiting for an entire year was a much bigger factor.  That should have been a key class to bridge the gap between Jett/Evans/McCall/Loe and the future.  We were coming off an NCAA appearance when that class would have been signing so we should have been able to land some talent.  Then the following year coming off 2 straight NCAA appearances with a bunch of playing time to promise, we should have been able to land even better talent.

I think it's way too early to pass judgement on our current group of freshmen.  Could they turn out similar to the Crew group?  Sure.  Am I comfortable with the comparison right now?  No way.

3 hours ago, SShoe said:

While watching a recent Oklahoma game on TV, I was actually thinking how 4 of the 6 true Crews recruits ended up being pretty decent players, granted 3 of the 4 are 5th year seniors.    Yarborough was 1st team all MVC and is averaging 17 ppg.  Reynolds is the third leading scorer on a top 25 team.  Bartley averages 6 ppg for a team that beat us.  And we know how Roby ended up.  It's just that none of these guys, sans maybe Yarborough, were ready to come in and be the stars.  

Now try and imagine a team where Thatch, Hankton, Ingvi, and Jacobs are each playing 30 mpg. That's pretty much what we had in Crews' third year.    

No team can count on Malik.  Like you said Bartley is averaging six points on MVC team.  He would have been nothing more than a bench guy on a good A10 team.  I will give you Roby and Miles. Two guys as core guys you can count on in three recruiting classes. That isn’t getting the job done on the recruiting trail after you been handed the keys to a prebuilt top 25 team.

Oh, let's get real here. Crews put us in a hole. He had two years of coaching a  top 25 team. A team that was basically self coached. He recruits Roby, Reynolds, Malik, Bartley, Gilman, Jolly, the kid from OSU, whose name I can't remember, Crawford, and Reggie. His holdovers were McBroom and Grady. 

Put them altogether and they sucked. Legit D1 players (none that great) Glaze, McBroom, Crawford, Malik, Reynolds, Roby, Reggie, and Bartley. Not bad except no bigs, no PG, no systems either on D or O. 

Two years of Crews was some of the lousiest BB I'd ever seen. Those two years were painful to watch. Players' faults? I don't think they were great, but with a decent coach they could have been better. Crews was just a POS coach. 

4 hours ago, SShoe said:

10 percent bad luck and 10 % denial of poor prognosis.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Oh, let's get real here. Crews put us in a hole. He had two years of coaching a  top 25 team. A team that was basically self coached. He recruits Roby, Reynolds, Malik, Bartley, Gilman, Jolly, the kid from OSU, whose name I can't remember, Crawford, and Reggie. His holdovers were McBroom and Grady. 

Put them altogether and they sucked. Legit D1 players (none that great) Glaze, McBroom, Crawford, Malik, Reynolds, Roby, Reggie, and Bartley. Not bad except no bigs, no PG, no systems either on D or O. 

Two years of Crews was some of the lousiest BB I'd ever seen. Those two years were painful to watch. Players' faults? I don't think they were great, but with a decent coach they could have been better. Crews was just a POS coach. 

Lancona.

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

i had season tickets those years.... went to 1.5 games.... yes that's 3 games i left at halftime 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

No way. McBroom was/is the biggest slimeball.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Lacona strived to be McBroom.  Literally looked up to Austin like a little kid.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Had a great girlfriend though.

McBroom was the ring leader but he was at least able to turn his douchiness into a “job” that seems to pay him pretty well.

Lancona, like wgstl said, was basically McBroom’s puppet.

It’s s close but since McBroom was able to make a living off his douchiness While Lancona is a ****** for free I put Lancona higher on my D-bag scale.

He did have a smoke show girlfriend though.  However, I would be willing to bet I would want to punch her in the face if I actually had to talk to her. #metoo

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

That guy was a bigger turd than McBroom.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

No way. McBroom was/is the biggest slimeball.

McBroom 5-9 165lbs

Lancona 6-8 230lbs

Both were/are turds.  Lancona was/is in a literal sense the bigger turd.  McBroom likely beats him out in the figurative sense.

Sad part about Lancona is that I actually think he could have been a decent player with the right attitude and in the right situation.  He could knock down 3s and looked the part of a Cody Ellis clone.  I'm not sure he could have been as good, but at least a decent stretch 4.  Cody had Majerus and a solid group around him.  Lancona had Crews and idolized a turd.  The rest is history.