GDT @ La Salle

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Mike Lockette?

Ok, had to look him up. Great career, 55 games, 361 points.  48% FG shooter, prior to the three point shot.  (His 64% FT would certainly help this team.) Yep, if KC can only reach Lockette levels, we got ourselves a player!

17 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Foreman was an absolute liabaility on defense on Saturday. Was getting beat like a drum.

because he was guarding a guard.   we should have went 4 guard lineup imo.

Geez, guys. Let's be a little more supportive of our team.  JJ and CAG left for their own reasons.  This has caused some young guys to be thrust into the fire before they are ready.  They will improve.

"I would hope you would support who we are.  Not who we are not.  These (eight) individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line (31) times in the next 4 months, to represent you, this (university).  That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect.  This is your team".

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ok, had to look him up. Great career, 55 games, 361 points.  48% FG shooter, prior to the three point shot.  (His 64% FT would certainly help this team.) Yep, if KC can only reach Lockette levels, we got ourselves a player!

Lockette was a JUCO so I hope Hankton can last all 4 years.

17 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Geez, guys. Let's be a little more supportive of our team.  JJ and CAG left for their own reasons.  This has caused some young guys to be thrust into the fire before they are ready.  They will improve.

"I would hope you would support who we are.  Not who we are not.  These (eight) individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line (31) times in the next 4 months, to represent you, this (university).  That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect.  This is your team".

That’s why I liked it when Travis told Carte’are that he didn’t care if he played on the team or not.

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

In 2019 this board has compared Hankton to Rasheed Anthony, Drew Diener, Jalen Johnson and now Virgil Cobbins.  This for a player who has 74 minutes of action.  Who's next on the comparison list, Tommy Liddell?

Jackie Moon

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

skip if gordon was still here he wouldnt be playing a bit.   i will admit he has exceeded my expectations (particularly shooting wise) but i'd be playing french and foreman 34-35 minutes a game and even using bess at the 4 more.   hankton needs to play.   who knows what injuries and referees will bring.   but i'd limit that time at this point in his career.  

Its a long season. If we can get Hankton 15 min a game while still winning why wouldn't we. Would we be better as you outline above in 1 game, 5 games, 8 games? maybe. However, I want to be fresh and ready to go for the A10 tourney as that's possibly what gets us in the tourney. They are limiting his time, just maybe not quite as much as you want. Plus French and Foreman have shown they can get in foul trouble. Hankton needs the time as we will in all likelihood need him in the A10 tourney.

It's not necessarily your assessment of him today I disagree with. It just seems to be you've already written off his career as no more than a role or bench player. He can develop into a good defender both inside and on the perimeter. He can also become a good rebounder and we already believe he's a good shooter. Will he? I don't know, but I hate to just assume he won't be based upon a couple of practices and less then 100 min of court time in his frosh season

dlarry, ACE and Zink like this

Heck, if were going to get on players for getting beat off the dribble Goodwin should easily be near the top of the list. All this fuss over players why is Goodwin passed over. He's shooting 40% from the field, 25% from 3, and 51% from the line. The only thing he's really done well this year is rebound and make steals. 

This team making the tourney depends more on Goodwin playing like he did last year or better than whether Hankton plays 8 or 15 min a game

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Heck, if were going to get on players for getting beat off the dribble Goodwin should easily be near the top of the list. All this fuss over players why is Goodwin passed over. He's shooting 40% from the field, 25% from 3, and 51% from the line. The only thing he's really done well this year is rebound and make steals. 

This team making the tourney depends more on Goodwin playing like he did last year or better than whether Hankton plays 8 or 15 min a game

And I think Saturday was a few steps in the right direction. He looked like himself again.

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Its a long season. If we can get Hankton 15 min a game while still winning why wouldn't we. Would we be better as you outline above in 1 game, 5 games, 8 games? maybe. However, I want to be fresh and ready to go for the A10 tourney as that's possibly what gets us in the tourney. They are limiting his time, just maybe not quite as much as you want. Plus French and Foreman have shown they can get in foul trouble. Hankton needs the time as we will in all likelihood need him in the A10 tourney.

It's not necessarily your assessment of him today I disagree with. It just seems to be you've already written off his career as no more than a role or bench player. He can develop into a good defender both inside and on the perimeter. He can also become a good rebounder and we already believe he's a good shooter. Will he? I don't know, but I hate to just assume he won't be based upon a couple of practices and less then 100 min of court time in his frosh season

Agreed. I really don't know how good Hankton can be the rest of the year, but we have to find out if this team expects to go anywhere. We need a 3rd big who can get some minutes and somebody who is a threat to knock down 3s, and KCH has the potential to supply those things.

We got 19 points from our bench last game, that's more than we got in the first two conference games combined, so hopefully that is a step in the right direction.

16 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

considering that ford has recruited quality players the likes of goodwin, thatch, french and gordon.   has highly regarded collins, hargrove and perkins coming in and has convinced high quality transfers to park at slu, i assume he will continue that level of recruiting.   

as to his minutes, i understand the need for hankton to play now and get minutes.   i just want the board to see more than his nice shot when judging him.   there are areas he can work on and some are what they are.   i would prefer his minutes be what they are to get french and foreman their needed rest or get through foul trouble.  just my opinion.  i want the best on the floor as much as they can play without losing their effectiveness.   they are young.   playing a game wont wear them out as much as a 2+ hour practice will.  anyone that has been to a billiken practice will tell you they are moving and playing and running pretty much the entire time.   a lot more then they do in a game imo.  

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

In 2019 this board has compared Hankton to Rasheed Anthony, Drew Diener, Jalen Johnson and now Virgil Cobbins.  This for a player who has 74 minutes of action.  Who's next on the comparison list, Tommy Liddell?

There was also a Willie Reed comparison in there.

HoosierPal likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I will never forget that game. I was in about the 15th row near center court at Cintas Center. Xavier fans around us couldn't understand why SLU was letting "that blue-haired kid" shoot. "Is he a shooter? What's going on?" And even with his abysmal night, we went to OT and it came down to a couple possessions. Mack called a timeout as a Xavier player was throwing it away (I still contend the ball was in the air and sailing out of bounds when he called it), and they gave it to him. They got the ball back and that may have tilted the outcome.

I was just thinking about that game the other day. I get PTSD-style flashbacks.

Ugh.  I'm glad I didn't watch it in person and don't really remember that specific game just Cody's late season shooting slump in general.

Here is some PTSD immersion therapy for you:  As with anything Billikens related, you can go down a rabbit-hole of what-ifs with this particular game.  Cody was a career 33.4% 3 point shooter.  You can assume his odds of hitting any given 3 pointer (this is a reach I know) is then 66.6%.  If my memory of HS math is correct, that means there is roughly a 1.14% chance* of Cody missing 11 straight 3 point shots.  Cody makes just one 3 pointer that game (in regulation), SLU beats Xavier, they are likely a higher/different seed in the NCAA, don't run into that under-seeded Oregon team, an so on.

Cody actually went 0-3 the next game (LaSalle).  His 0-14 streak had a 0.34% chance of happening.  I'm not sure if he missed any to end the previous game or begin the next game, but that could add to the improbability of his cold snap.  

Pistol likes this

On 1/12/2019 at 7:53 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Jacobs is the 9th player in our rotation. Pretty difficult to show anything when you're that low in the pecking order. Especially when you're stuck behind a senior who averages double figures and another freshman who's one of the best defenders in the A-10.

This is not a Crews roster. All of these guys can play. It's just a question of opportunity.

While watching a recent Oklahoma game on TV, I was actually thinking how 4 of the 6 true Crews recruits ended up being pretty decent players, granted 3 of the 4 are 5th year seniors.    Yarborough was 1st team all MVC and is averaging 17 ppg.  Reynolds is the third leading scorer on a top 25 team.  Bartley averages 6 ppg for a team that beat us.  And we know how Roby ended up.  It's just that none of these guys, sans maybe Yarborough, were ready to come in and be the stars.  

Now try and imagine a team where Thatch, Hankton, Ingvi, and Jacobs are each playing 30 mpg. That's pretty much what we had in Crews' third year.    

Pistol, AGB91, SLU_Lax and 2 others like this

16 minutes ago, SShoe said:

While watching a recent Oklahoma game on TV, I was actually thinking how 4 of the 6 true Crews recruits ended up being pretty decent players, granted 3 of the 4 are 5th year seniors.    Yarborough was 1st team all MVC and is averaging 17 ppg.  Reynolds is the third leading scorer on a top 25 team.  Bartley averages 6 ppg for a team that beat us.  And we know how Roby ended up.  It's just that none of these guys, sans maybe Yarborough, were ready to come in and be the stars.  

Now try and imagine a team where Thatch, Hankton, Ingvi, and Jacobs are each playing 30 mpg. That's pretty much what we had in Crews' third year.    

Whose fault was that?

Littlebill likes this