GDT @ La Salle

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

hankton is a shooter.  a very good one.   but i am wondering if you all are watching him on defense and rebounding?   

He’s fundamentally sound and has good instincts and athleticism. Especially for a freshman. I suppose that’s why he’s getting minutes.

Yeah, he’s skinny, but so was Willie Reed when Majerus snagged him.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

He’s fundamentally sound and has good instincts and athleticism. Especially for a freshman. I suppose that’s why he’s getting minutes.

You are seriously comparing hankton to willie reed?    Hankton's shortcoming was exactly reeds strength as reed was an incredible athlete.   Hankton imo is a slightly taller drew diener.   

Before anyone jumps on that, i was deiner's biggest defender back in the day.   He could shoot and with the right lineup combination was effective and he could outscore his man. 

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

Billiken Roy, I agree Willie Reed is an incredible athlete....I said Hankton has good athleticism, not incredible athleticism. 

My point was that he shouldn’t be written off as ineffective in his all-around game due to his body type. If I remember correctly, similar concerns were expressed on this board during Reeds recruitment. 

10 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I forgot that SLU became Duke and our Freshmen should be absolute studs after 1/2 a season.  Some of y’all need to recalibrate your expectations.  

Isn’t Jacobs a year older than our freshmen? I don’t have high expections of him but I expected him to play around the same as Thatch coming into the season but he is leagues behind him now. Him getting in the game yesterday showed he is doing well in practice though 

Thatch has 35 pounds of muscle on Jacobs, and played three years of point forward in high school.

the last similar freshman we had like Thatch was Marques Perry, who played point forward at Chicago Marshall in high school.

Dominant physical players can’t readily be knocked of the ball, or from a line of attack. This is one of the primary characteristics of potential top 50 teams.

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

He also keeps his man off the boards even if he doesn't get it. That's really all we need from him. Our guards do a great job rebounding. 

I thought his size would have been an issue underneath during conference play but he's done well in his limited minutes.

VeniceMenace likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

You are seriously comparing hankton to willie reed?    Hankton's shortcoming was exactly reeds strength as reed was an incredible athlete.   Hankton imo is a slightly taller drew diener.   

Before anyone jumps on that, i was deiner's biggest defender back in the day.   He could shoot and with the right lineup combination was effective and he could outscore his man. 

Hankton is already better than Drew Diener.  I'll never understand the love for Drew on this board.  We got the afterbirth with cankles  in the Diener lottery and that's a fact.  (waiting for a-bomb's bad post rating because he's got an unbelievable and perhaps inappropriate love for DD.)  

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Hankton is already better than Drew Diener.  I'll never understand the love for Drew on this board.  We got the afterbirth with cankles  in the Diener lottery and that's a fact.  (waiting for a-bomb's bad post rating because he's got an unbelievable and perhaps inappropriate love for DD.)  

Just like with the Robertson bros.

I thought Jacobs and Pinson were identical.  Pinson has played well at times and I wonder if it is just playing time or am I wrong on my analysis of the two players.

2 hours ago, billikenblue said:

My take is as I said earlier Travis made the decision to play Jacobs in a tight game with 6 minutes to go. Not a good decision when it is obvious he is not ready to be in at that point in the game

Since we won the game, we won’t know the full value of the decision until we see if Jacobs being put in that situation helps him in the long run.

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Drew in his last two seasons shot 41% from 3, averaged 7 points and didn’t turn the ball over playing a much stronger schedule than SLU has played at anytime in the recent past. He is exactly the kind of player the current roster desperately needs.

almaman likes this

5 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I dont understand why hankton is getting so much criticism. I have watched a lot of billiken freshman perform at a lesser level and end up having fine careers. I dont think we will have to wait to see kc's value. he will contribute solid minutes this year and get starter minutes next.

I don’t understand why Drew Diener, a guard, is the appropriate comparison with Hankton, a forward.

billiken_roy and dennis_w like this

A more apt example is Hankton early in his freshman year vs Jalen Johnson early in his. They're virtually the same size, have similar offensive skillsets and are comparable athletes. JJ was a better rebounder, though. Also JJ got the chance to play through mistakes because he was on a bad team.

14 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

I don’t understand why Drew Diener, a guard, is the appropriate comparison with Hankton, a forward.

both good shooters, not much past that.  

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

A more apt example is Hankton early in his freshman year vs Jalen Johnson early in his. They're virtually the same size, have similar offensive skillsets and are comparable athletes. JJ was a better rebounder, though. Also JJ got the chance to play through mistakes because he was on a bad team.

johnson was a good rebounder and could defend on the ball.   

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

johnson was a good rebounder and could defend on the ball.   

The Diener comparison doesn't work. Hankton is more than a shooter. 

Hankton can defend on the ball and while he needs to gain strength to box out more effectively, he has a decent nose for the ball on rebounds. 

14 hours ago, dennis_w said:

I dont understand why hankton is getting so much criticism. I have watched a lot of billiken freshman perform at a lesser level and end up having fine careers. I dont think we will have to wait to see kc's value. he will contribute solid minutes this year and get starter minutes next.

I don’t see a lot of criticism.

It seems about 95% of the board sees a Freshman with a good shot who is making Freshman like mistakes.

I think most people realize that all freshman have shortcomings and you hope they improve on them as they mature.

Ive been very happy with what we have gotten out of Hankton.