GDT @ La Salle

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Hankton may have looked a bit lost but that disappeared quicklly.  He also has been asked to guard bigs inside and does so without fouling excessively.  Both he and Thatch do handle the ball.  Jacobs gets the ball in his hands and continues to make lazy or telegraph his passes.  I have not given up on him just that I am not willing to say his poor play is OK because he did not get to play in any early blowouts.  Others are developing so it is not unfair to expect him to pick up the pace.

Nice that he isn't a total stiff and he's 9th man in. He has more goose eggs per game in stats than I've seen since Gibby's amazing '68 season.  

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hankton is a shooter.  a very good one.   but i am wondering if you all are watching him on defense and rebounding?   

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

hankton is a shooter.  a very good one.   but i am wondering if you all are watching him on defense and rebounding?   

He has been asked to defend where he was not expected to do since Gordon left.  Is he a defensive gem - not yet but he at least covers his man..  He is doing what he has been asked to do at this point.  Lets not forget that this part  of the thread started about Jacobs not Hankton and Thatch.  At this point, nobody is expecting Jacobs to be a star but can he simply not throw the ball away with virtually every pass!

Billiken Rich and Zink like this

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

He has been asked to defend where he was not expected to do since Gordon left.  Is he a defensive gem - not yet but he at least covers his man..  He is doing what he has been asked to do at this point.  Lets not forget that this part  of the thread started about Jacobs not Hankton and Thatch.  At this point, nobody is expecting Jacobs to be a star but can he simply not throw the ball away with virtually every pass!

todays belly button denial man to man requires the ability to be secondary help defense.  3x yesterday hankton did not react quickly enough  on help defense and lasalle got layups.   he had zero rebounds.   

again, yes he is a shooter, but until he gets the strength to hold his own reboundingwise and becomes aware enough to actually play team defense, he is giving up more than he is scoring.  spoon told highmark, "just make sure you are outscoring your man".   not sure hankton is doing that in his stints on the floor yet to justify his rebounding and defense.   

that said, we have no choice.   we need bigs with only french returning.    

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

todays belly button denial man to man requires the ability to be secondary help defense.  3x yesterday hankton did not react quickly enough  on help defense and lasalle got layups.   he had zero rebounds.     

Who was getting beat so badly three times that it required KC to come help?

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Who was getting beat so badly three times that it required KC to come help?

twice was goodwin and french on a screen mixups, the other time was bess.   

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

twice was goodwin and french on a screen mixups, the other time was bess.   

Then it looked like 4 guys screwed up, not just KC.

I think we're spoiled by how good most of the guys on the floor are at playing defense.  KC is certainly good enough at staying in front of his man to warrant 10-12 min a game.  To expect a freshman forward  to be able to do that and be an excellent help defender 70 min into his career isn't realistic.  

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think we're spoiled by how good most of the guys on the floor are at playing defense.  KC is certainly good enough at staying in front of his man to warrant 10-12 min a game.  To expect a freshman forward  to be able to do that and be an excellent help defender 70 min into his career isn't realistic.  

3 star, you are missing the point.   the denial man to man is going to have people get beat.   the key to making it work is that secondary help guy coming over to pick up the ball and stop the dribble.    if that fails you have layups and dunks.   for you to casually infer, it isnt hankton's fault because his teamates got beat first is absurb.   sure they got beat.  but they were up on their man stopping a possible three with a belief that a teamate had their back if they then got beat.   well that didnt happen.   

bess and goodwin do a great job out on the perimeter, but playing that aggessive is bound to have opportunities for the quick wings to get by them at some point.   hankton as the secondary help guy has a lot of time to react and be ready for that to happen.   and yes i do expect his to be an adequate help defender as a freshman if he expects to play double digit minutes.   either that or he better really be scorching the nets on offense.   

If you haven't had it drilled into you and I'd assume most HS stars don't, help defense isn't an easy concept to become good at. It's an easy concept to grasp the idea but the actual mechanics and timing of it is very difficult. You have to guard you guy who's generally moving without giving him too much space all the while laying off him just enough to be able to help out your teammate. One of the things that frustrate players learning help is it sometimes leads to easy points from your man and then you feel like you didn't do your job. If tough to learn. Rarely is a player good at help side D 15 games into their freshman season. 

Regarding Jacobs were asking a guy to play with confidence while doing things that take his confidence away. He's always been the man, now he rarely gets in games plus probably takes some heat for mistakes. He seems out of sync. Even on breakaway drives where you'd think his athleticism would just take over he seems tentative. In addition the level of player he's going up against has changed. He's not automatically the most athletic or close to it player on the court. He'll either adjust and do well or he'll struggle. Part of it is learning to play smarter using positioning and technique to gain an advantage rather than pure athleticism. Thatch earned his time w/ defense, however, offensively he was pretty bad early. His defense bought him time to adjust. Play with confidence while being told/shown your not good enough to get in games is tough

3star_recruit and SLU_Lax like this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

3 star, you are missing the point.   the denial man to man is going to have people get beat.   the key to making it work is that secondary help guy coming over to pick up the ball and stop the dribble.    if that fails you have layups and dunks.   for you to casually infer, it isnt hankton's fault because his teamates got beat first is absurb.   sure they got beat.  but they were up on their man stopping a possible three with a belief that a teamate had their back if they then got beat.   well that didnt happen.   

bess and goodwin do a great job out on the perimeter, but playing that aggessive is bound to have opportunities for the quick wings to get by them at some point.   hankton as the secondary help guy has a lot of time to react and be ready for that to happen.   and yes i do expect his to be an adequate help defender as a freshman if he expects to play double digit minutes.   either that or he better really be scorching the nets on offense.   

but the catch is if he lays off too much to be there to help, his guy is now open. It's not easy. Do we need it and does he need to get better. Yep. Had we still had Gordon and Santos or even Welmer he could be learning in practice. However, as you know they aren't here so he's learning on the fly. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but you haven't seemed to be on board with KC from the start even making comments that I took as he wasn't good enough to even play for a team at our level.  I agree he needs to get stronger and become a better rebounder and become better at defense (all of it). Sitting him until he gets there isn't an option. It'd be like if Goodwin and Isabell both got hurt being upset with Jacobs because he can't handle the point as well as a top 50 recruit with a years playing tie on him or a Sr. 

cheeseman likes this

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

This. Hankton's help defense was and is fine and we don't play full denial on the perimeter. Other guys got beat and that is ok.. it happens in games sometimes to all teams. LaSalle is better than their record. Hankton has to improve his on ball defense. 

My favorite example of a FR learning to play D is McCall Jr. When he showed up he looked to be a star on offense, but then Rick benched him for long stretches and let Cassity, a more limited guy on Offense, take his minutes. Why, because Jr didn't know how to play D. Thru hard work and determination McCall eventually became an above average defender. It took him his entire FR year to learn how. Most HS kids who are good enough to get a D1 scholarship get it based on their offensive skills and athleticism. Most coaches know that in large part most FR come in with little or no idea how to play D at this level. Bess, French, Thatch, and Goodwin are exceptions and the reason we rely so much on our D to win games. Give Hankton and Jacobs some time. If they're not showing progress by seasons end, they'll find out their playing time next year will not increase significantly. 

Zink and almaman like this

Once again we have managed to take a simple observation from a poster about one freshman and turned it into an indictment of all our freshman.  This started - not by me - as an observation regarding how tentative Jacobs plays on the floor.  His tentative passing which turns in variable into a turn over - that was all.  So now Hankton is no good on defense and Thatch is poor offensively.  Hankton is not turning the ball over at a high rate nor is Thatch so bringing them into the discussion was a mistake - perhaps on my part because all I wanted to do was point out how neither of them were playing tentative but as I said this whole part has turned in to how poor or not the two are playing defense - gee whiz.

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Once again we have managed to take a simple observation from a poster about one freshman and turned it into an indictment of all our freshman.  This started - not by me - as an observation regarding how tentative Jacobs plays on the floor.  

To get back to your point cheeseman, I don't expect Jacobs to "pick up the pace" just because there are other freshmen on the team who are quick learners.  Not all students learn at the same rate.   We may never get to see the real Jacobs as the 9th man in the rotation. He may simply not get enough minutes this year to develop a rhythm.  And that's OK.  He'll have a leg up on say, a Yuri Collins, when the competition begins anew next year.

It is just a matter of expectations, for those in the blog that expected our freshmen to get in the court and play as pros, you are or were plainly wrong. Each player learns and gets confidence at his own pace. Your pre season expectations were inflated and unrealistic, what we are seeing now is the reality of this particular team, and it is both pretty good and improving.

2 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

So I didnt get to catch the game, but studied the box score. Wow, JGood was a rebound and 4 assists shy of a triple double.  He will get one before season's end. 

He had a 10th rebound taken away when French was called for a questionable foul.

12 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Hankton may have looked a bit lost but that disappeared quicklly.  He also has been asked to guard bigs inside and does so without fouling excessively.  Both he and Thatch do handle the ball.  Jacobs gets the ball in his hands and continues to make lazy or telegraph his passes.  I have not given up on him just that I am not willing to say his poor play is OK because he did not get to play in any early blowouts.  Others are developing so it is not unfair to expect him to pick up the pace.

In very, very limited minutes, Jacobs Assist to Turnover ratio if 0.57, lowest on the team.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

To get back to your point cheeseman, I don't expect Jacobs to "pick up the pace" just because there are other freshmen on the team who are quick learners.  Not all students learn at the same rate.   We may never get to see the real Jacobs as the 9th man in the rotation. He may simply not get enough minutes this year to develop a rhythm.  And that's OK.  He'll have a leg up on say, a Yuri Collins, when the competition begins anew next year.

Agreed