GDT @ La Salle

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacobs is the 9th player in our rotation. Pretty difficult to show anything when you're that low in the pecking order. Especially when you're stuck behind a senior who averages double figures and another freshman who's one of the best defenders in the A-10.

This is not a Crews roster. All of these guys can play. It's just a question of opportunity.

Pistol, Zink, slufanskip and 3 others like this

5 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I’m sure Jacobs is good. His highlight tapes show it but he is too nervous on the court and that is directly due to us not closing out games earlier in the season 

No that is because he is nervous on the court.  You don't see Hankton with that problem or Thatch.  His nervousness is because he has the yips and he has to get control of it.  Playing more won't simply solve that if so he has been enough to not be nervous anymore.  He just has to get his lack of confidence out of his head - that is on him.

38 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I’ve heard he does extremely well in practice. Can also apparently shoot it from long range too, just need to translate to a game 

No question on him. I question Travis having him in with 6 minutes to go in a tight game . 2 possessions in a row he let his man drive right by him which led to us having problems on defense. Not the time to reward a lightly played freshman especially in an away game. 

cheeseman likes this

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

No that is because he is nervous on the court.  You don't see Hankton with that problem or Thatch.  His nervousness is because he has the yips and he has to get control of it.  Playing more won't simply solve that if so he has been enough to not be nervous anymore.  He just has to get his lack of confidence out of his head - that is on him.

Hankton had that problem with his early minutes.  

6 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Hankton had that problem with his early minutes.  

Also, Hankton is asked to knock down open looks to space the floor. Thatch is asked to guard one of the opposing teams top two players. Jacobs is often being asked to handle the ball and run the offense for brief stretches. That is going to take more time. I think if he was merely being asked to knock down shots or play off the ball his transition to the speed of the game would occur sooner. He has talent.  The game just needs to slow down for him. 

GoBills73, moytoy12 and Zink like this

28 minutes ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

Also, Hankton is asked to knock down open looks to space the floor. Thatch is asked to guard one of the opposing teams top two players. Jacobs is often being asked to handle the ball and run the offense for brief stretches. That is going to take more time. I think if he was merely being asked to knock down shots or play off the ball his transition to the speed of the game would occur sooner. He has talent.  The game just needs to slow down for him. 

Fair assessment honestly. Didn’t see it that way. Wish he drank whatever juice Thatch is on 

Hankton may have looked a bit lost but that disappeared quicklly.  He also has been asked to guard bigs inside and does so without fouling excessively.  Both he and Thatch do handle the ball.  Jacobs gets the ball in his hands and continues to make lazy or telegraph his passes.  I have not given up on him just that I am not willing to say his poor play is OK because he did not get to play in any early blowouts.  Others are developing so it is not unfair to expect him to pick up the pace.