The Bills over LaS by 7

The Wiz

"WWN2D2W...Hold Powell to 13pts....everyone else to single digits....LaS is not a very good team BUT they do 2 things well...Make FTs and create TOs....They average over 79% from the line which is good for 3rd in the nation....Of their top 9 scorers their worst guy shoots a lowly 77%....7 of the 9 are 81% are higher. ..the 3rd best faces the the 4th worst....we will not win any FT contest so we have to try and keep the fouls down....Projection is they will pickup 5 pts extra at the FT line. ...They also are an A team at causing TOs averaging 16.3 /gm...and 18.3 over the last 3 games....good for 16th in the nation. ....We need to win the TO battle....if this gets away from us  it could cost us the game....as always protect the ball but especially this game.   Also,  we are the better rebounding team...we need to not just win the battle but to dominate the boards.  Lastly we need to shoot this as an absolute minimum....42/31/60....or bad things can happen."

Things pretty much happened the way they were supposed to happen ...a few numbers out of whack  ( both teams 3P shooting and LaS FTs) but things evened out in the end.

The important things happened which were TOs and Rebounds....We won the TO battle by 2 despite having a bad 1st half (9)...fortunately no damage because LaS also had 9.  The second half was a very nice 5. And we won the Rebound battle...36-31...again had we lost either of those battles the game could have turned out differently.

And even though our FT shooting was still terrible...in a weird way we won the battle....Yes they had a better % than we did ...but they were 2 FTM off  of their 79% average, while the Bills were only 1 FTM off of their 59%....so we actually  picked up a pt  off the projections. We actually outscored them 12- 9 on FTM...Another big help was the Bills took my advice and kept the FTA down for LaS.  The Explorers  had only 14 shots ...a low number that was a contributing factor to our win.

Slash of 47/ 42/  55  was a pass ....1 FT short but we made up for it with the rest of the line.

We stopped Powell...needed to hold him to 13....he scored 12...I was hoping we could keep everybody else to single digits...2 others scored double digits....but still a good defensive effort..

Tip o' the cap to French who had his 3rd consecutive double double. and to Goodwin who missed the DD by 1 reb....his 3 stls will move him up in the national rankings. Also to Bess who even though he had a bad night shooting had the biggest shot of the game....monster 3 at the end.

LaS was hot from the arc plunking in an extra 9pts. Fortunately we were too.

The fact that we hit the exact spread is an indication that we are doing what we are supposed to be doing....If this trend were to continue...ie making the spread....it would be a sign of consistency.

I see no reason why if we continue to play at this level , we can't take the A-10 title.

SouthSide_Billiken and Zink like this

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

"WWN2D2W...Hold Powell to 13pts....everyone else to single digits....LaS is not a very good team BUT they do 2 things well...Make FTs and create TOs....They average over 79% from the line which is good for 3rd in the nation....Of their top 9 scorers their worst guy shoots a lowly 77%....7 of the 9 are 81% are higher. ..the 3rd best faces the the 4th worst....we will not win any FT contest so we have to try and keep the fouls down....Projection is they will pickup 5 pts extra at the FT line. ...They also are an A team at causing TOs averaging 16.3 /gm...and 18.3 over the last 3 games....good for 16th in the nation. ....We need to win the TO battle....if this gets away from us  it could cost us the game....as always protect the ball but especially this game.   Also,  we are the better rebounding team...we need to not just win the battle but to dominate the boards.  Lastly we need to shoot this as an absolute minimum....42/31/60....or bad things can happen."

Things pretty much happened the way they were supposed to happen ...a few numbers out of whack  ( both teams 3P shooting and LaS FTs) but things evened out in the end.

The important things happened which were TOs and Rebounds....We won the TO battle by 2 despite having a bad 1st half (9)...fortunately no damage because LaS also had 9.  The second half was a very nice 5. And we won the Rebound battle...36-31...again had we lost either of those battles the game could have turned out differently.

And even though our FT shooting was still terrible...in a weird way we won the battle....Yes they had a better % than we did ...but they were 2 FTM off  of their 79% average, while the Bills were only 1 FTM off of their 59%....so we actually  picked up a pt  off the projections. We actually outscored them 12- 9 on FTM...Another big help was the Bills took my advice and kept the FTA down for LaS.  The Explorers  had only 14 shots ...a low number that was a contributing factor to our win.

Slash of 47/ 42/  55  was a pass ....1 FT short but we made up for it with the rest of the line.

We stopped Powell...needed to hold him to 13....he scored 12...I was hoping we could keep everybody else to single digits...2 others scored double digits....but still a good defensive effort..

Tip o' the cap to French who had his 3rd consecutive double double. and to Goodwin who missed the DD by 1 reb....his 3 stls will move him up in the national rankings. Also to Bess who even though he had a bad night shooting had the biggest shot of the game....monster 3 at the end.

The fact that we hit the exact spread is an indication that we are doing what we are supposed to be doing....If this trend were to continue...ie making the spread....it would be a sign of consistency.

I see no reason why if we continue to play at this level , we can't take the A-10 title.

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I've seen enough of Jack Clark to look forward to his graduating (or transferring?) in 4 years.  This was his 8th game as a freshman.  He was a handful. 

Powell is basically the only contributor on this team that won't be back next year.  So let's win the rematch next month and worry about next year, next year.

billiken_roy likes this

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I've seen enough of Jack Clark to look forward to his graduating (or transferring?) in 4 years.  This was his 8th game as a freshman.  He was a handful. 

Powell is basically the only contributor on this team that won't be back next year.  So let's win the rematch next month and worry about next year, next year.

Was Foreman guarding him? - I don't remember.

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Was Foreman guarding him? - I don't remember.

Foreman had him initially, but Ford saw that wasn't going to work.  Hankton was on him for a while, and Bess had him on several trips when Thatch was on Powell.  Once French jumped out on him, but that was likely due to a double inside that left him open.  At 6'8" he was a tough matchup.

59 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Maybe he’ll act like he’s at Fordham and transfer out after his first year. Ha.

paschall is the only name I currently remember but didn’t that happen to them something like  3 years in a row?

Zink likes this

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Maybe he’ll act like he’s at Fordham and transfer out after his first year. Ha.

paschall is the only name I currently remember but didn’t that happen to them something like  3 years in a row?

Ya, the Point Guard for Marquette Chartouny is a Fordham transfer.  If Fordham kept all their players, they would be pretty good.