GDT: UMASS be shite-ing me .........

Taj79

2 minutes ago, willie said:

72 I was at the game so I couldn't see replays. Why wasn't this a flagrant? 

not too sure on the rules, I wonder if its because he had no clue jordan was behind him.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, willie said:

They looked at it and deemed it unintentional. JGood went down quick, and it looked serious. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

38 minutes ago, slu72 said:

He got laid out by a flying elbow. When he returned, he was masked. But no one ever said if he re broke it. I don't think the announcers knew he was playing w/ that mask earlier in the season. They seemed surprised he got fitted for a mask so quickly. He also had a piece of cotton stuffed in one nostril, but it came out later. 

French had his aha game last night. Still waiting for JGood's. He missed a lot of shots when he got to the rim. 

As far as Goodwin's nose is concerned, he may have had significant damage or not. The piece of cotton stuck in a nostril is likely an anterior pack used to control bleeding. In his case it may have been placed there to prevent bleeding in case it developed later on in the game or if he was hit again around the nose. This was also the case for  using of the mask last night, as prevention. Note that we still do not know if he actually had significant damage or not. What you saw last night was done in order to keep him playing, something we really needed. We will see if he has to use the mask against LaSalle, again likely preventitively, or if he is kept out of play, which would mean significant nose damage.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i predict we will see more of last night's french.  well at least the non-foul shooting french we saw last night.  i have to see the 70% foul shooting french more to believe it.   honestly, that was such a breath of fresh air and i wouldnt doubt if the success he had at the line also contributed to the rest of his game last night as his poor free throw shooting had to be really getting in french's head prior to last night.   

that umass team should be better than it is.   the coach is a fool.  when foreman fouled out with like 6-7 minutes remaining and the 4 fouls french re-enters the game, tell me why he didnt bring holloway back immediately and then when he did, they didnt really try to get him the ball in an effort to get french fouled out.   head scratcher. 

While I don’t think we’ll often see French hitting 70% from the FT line, I do believe him being more involved and being a primary option like last night is likely to help him be better at the FT line.  I suspect it’s harder for a bad FT shooter to  find a groove when they aren’t getting into the flow of the game.  Him taking more shots and generally having more success in the half court offense should give him a boost at the FT line.

billikenfan05 likes this

Count me in the minority, but I didn't think Holloway was that bad. He's 310+ pounds and likely closer to 350. Oafish tendencies come with that body. On the flagrant, he clearly stumbled and pushed French in the process.

In my opinion, Clergeot and Pierre were much dirtier. They were brutal around screens all damn night...grabbing and shoving. Those guys should have fouled out in the first half. They absolutely manhandled Bess and Thatch as they were shadowing Pipkins. 

We caught a break that one of their best players was out. We have to pick up the shooting...we had some really great looks. I'd like to see more of Wiley. 

The way the game was going, it felt like we were up a lot more than we were. It seemed like we were outplaying them for the overwhelming majority of the game. 

Just now, moytoy12 said:

While I don’t think we’ll often see French hitting 70% from the FT line, I do believe him being more involved and being a primary option like last night is likely to help him be better at the FT line.  I suspect it’s harder for a bad FT shooter to  find a groove when they aren’t getting into the flow of the game.  Him taking more shots and generally having more success in the half court often should give him a boost at the FT line.

confidence alone from yesterday should help a few % points the rest of the way from where he was at

24 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

We have to pick up the shooting...

this is an understatement.   i went to slubillikens today and looked at the season box score, pretty much it's bess shooting normal the rest not.   the likes of goodwin is third in most categories and i think we all pretty much agree he hasnt been what we want thus far this season.   if our third best stat line is not what we want......hard to believe our record is as good as it is.  

a couple of other notes, hankton is in process of being exposed as less the shooter than we all thought.   same with wiley.   we really wanted the two of them to be our off the bench snipers at the 3 line.   not turning out that way.  

the free throw percentages remain dismal.  

just not a pretty sight.   good thing we play defense.  

What impressed me about French was not only his drives to the hoop but his footwork and moves down low. He created a lot of his own shots last night, where in the past he's been fed and gone straight up with that little hook, or got his points on putbacks and tip ins. Over the summer if he could develop a jumper from 10-15 ft he could really be a load. 

28 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Count me in the minority, but I didn't think Holloway was that bad. He's 310+ pounds and likely closer to 350. Oafish tendencies come with that body. On the flagrant, he clearly stumbled and pushed French in the process.

In my opinion, Clergeot and Pierre were much dirtier. They were brutal around screens all damn night...grabbing and shoving. Those guys should have fouled out in the first half. They absolutely manhandled Bess and Thatch as they were shadowing Pipkins. 

We caught a break that one of their best players was out. We have to pick up the shooting...we had some really great looks. I'd like to see more of Wiley. 

The way the game was going, it felt like we were up a lot more than we were. It seemed like we were outplaying them for the overwhelming majority of the game. 

I’m with you on Holloway. He got a lot of eyes on him due to his size. On his flagrant at first I was afraid they would call French for hooking. They had their arms interlocked.

I did not see the refs as being a determine factor one way or the other. They were calling the small issues both ways. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

What impressed me about French was not only his drives to the hoop but his footwork and moves down low. He created a lot of his own shots last night, where in the past he's been fed and gone straight up with that little hook, or got his points on putbacks and tip ins. Over the summer if he could develop a jumper from 10-15 ft he could really be a load. 

Not having another body in the lane helped French a lot last night. 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

a couple of other notes, hankton is in process of being exposed as less the shooter than we all thought.   same with wiley.   we really wanted the two of them to be our off the bench snipers at the 3 line.   not turning out that way.  

I understand where you're coming from, but both have played new or inconsistent minutes.  Hard to get anything going.  I was watching KC during shoot around, I have no doubt hes capable of being a 40% 3pt shooter.  

Wiley didnt even touch a ball during the final shoot around which is why I thought he wasn't playing. 

For those that have been to the games, how do we look in shootarounds in warmups or practice?  I wonder how much the wear and tear of going extra hard on defense effects our accuracy or if we just aren't good shooters.  Considering our poor offensive starts to games I'm assuming it's the latter but haven't seen in person.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Way too early to say this about Hankton.  Wiley is being exposed as an oft-injured player who can’t get on the floor enough to build any type of rhythm.  If they’re open, I want these two shooting.

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

They correctly determined he didn't throw and elbow or arm. His arm inadvertently swung around while he was trying to maintain balance. The announcers incorrectly suggested it shouldn't have even been a foul. Intent obviously isn't needed to be a personal foul

22 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Through my Billiken Blue hued lenses, I thought SLU outplayed both URI and UMass most of both games.   A key issue was missing open shots against both teams.  SLU was 19-30 at the free throw line vs. UMass, 63%, not good, but improved.  However, SLU missed the front end of at least 2 one and one's in the de facto 4th Quarter, which helped fuel the UMass rally.  Those missed front ends result in empty trips, are akin to turnovers.  SLU was 2-17, 11.8% on 3 pointers vs. UMass.

SLU's assist to turnover ratio vs. UMass was an excellent 15 to 8.

The UMass game featured a Bi-Coastal CBS Sports Network crew of play by play man, Tom McCarthy, who is the Phillies TV play by play man, and former Gonzaga guard Dan Dickau

SLU survived.  But the bottom line is the 2 W's.  SLU is 11-4, 2-0 in the A10, with a big and winnable East Coast road trip forthcoming to LaSalle and Fordham.  

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this is an understatement.   i went to slubillikens today and looked at the season box score, pretty much it's bess shooting normal the rest not.   the likes of goodwin is third in most categories and i think we all pretty much agree he hasnt been what we want thus far this season.   if our third best stat line is not what we want......hard to believe our record is as good as it is.  

the free throw percentages remain dismal.  

just not a pretty sight.   good thing we play defense.  

On Hankton he’s a fresh 

Wiley has been hurt 

hoping they both pick it up as the season goes on. 

I expect Hankton to pick it up. I’m not counting on Wiley getting healthy enough to get in a rhythm 

Billiken Rich likes this

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

They correctly determined he didn't throw and elbow or arm. His arm inadvertently swung around while he was trying to maintain balance. The announcers incorrectly suggested it shouldn't have even been a foul. Intent obviously isn't needed to be a personal foul

I think intent is needed for a flagrant foul. Which is what it looked like at first glance. 

slufanskip likes this