OT: Dr. Chaifetz interested in NBA team

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

If Dr Chaifetz is interested, here’s his chance to bid on a team.  There have been teams sold since 2019, and he didn’t buy those, so I’m not sure I’d get my hopes up, but we’ll see…

Do you think the price and conditions asked might have had something to do with him staying away from buying them?

2 hours ago, ARon said:

Bob Iger probably has the inside track on buying the team. And no I don't expect anyone, including Dr. C would move them from PHX to STL.

Iger doesn't have a high enough net worth to buy out Sarver's 35% stake in the Suns.  We are talking about forking over $800 million on the extremely low end.  

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Do you think the price and conditions asked might have had something to do with him staying away from buying them?

It has everything to do with it. You can bet a smart guy like Dr Chaifetz will analyze this a lot, along with a bunch of really smart accountants I’m sure he has access to for deals like this, and if the price isn’t right, the price isn’t right.

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

It has everything to do with it. You can bet a smart guy like Dr Chaifetz will analyze this a lot, along with a bunch of really smart accountants I’m sure he has access to for deals like this, and if the price isn’t right, the price isn’t right.

Yes, this is correct. And the fact that he wants the team to relocate to St. Louis may be a difficult condition to agree upon. This is not intended to mean anything negative about St. Louis, but most teams may just want to stay put.

The Suns are never leaving Phoenix.  Huge history there, rabid fanbase, and tons of big money investors lining up to buy the team.  Sarver has been a terrible owner, always playing it cheap.  

St. Louis' best shot at an NBA franchise are small market teams like Memphis, New Orleans, Sacramento & Minnesota.  

The Pelicans lease is up in 2 years.  They are the most likely team to move and that should start to shake out once the expansion teams are all set.  Still St. Louis is a distant 3rd at best.  Assuming Seattle & Las Vegas get the expansion teams which should be announced soon that leaves Kansas City and Louisville as the strongest markets making an NBA push that have real financial backing.

ARon likes this

21 hours ago, brianstl said:

Iger doesn't have a high enough net worth to buy out Sarver's 35% stake in the Suns.  We are talking about forking over $800 million on the extremely low end.  

20 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Chaifetz is very wealthy. I don’t know if he’s in that NBA owner stratosphere that became necessary since Balmer. 

Neither of these guys needs all the $$$. They just need hedge-fund partners convinced to let them run the team.

15 hours ago, thetorch said:

The Suns are never leaving Phoenix.  Huge history there, rabid fanbase, and tons of big money investors lining up to buy the team.  Sarver has been a terrible owner, always playing it cheap.  

St. Louis' best shot at an NBA franchise are small market teams like Memphis, New Orleans, Sacramento & Minnesota.  

Neither the NFL or NBA wanted to be the bad guys that take a team out of New Orleans after Katrina. But long-term the size of that market will always be an issue. If the Benson family ever wants to sell a move is certainly not out of the question.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:28 PM, thetorch said:

The Pelicans lease is up in 2 years.  They are the most likely team to move and that should start to shake out once the expansion teams are all set.  Still St. Louis is a distant 3rd at best.  Assuming Seattle & Las Vegas get the expansion teams which should be announced soon that leaves Kansas City and Louisville as the strongest markets making an NBA push that have real financial backing.

Or expansion both hockey n football have 32 franchises NBA 30. 

23 minutes ago, Davis said:

This is one of the biggest nonsensical excuses I've heard all my life and one of many reasons why St. Louis is where it is.

That right, we could support 3 baseball teams, 2 soccer teams, or 2 hockey teams. But 0 football, pro basketball, lacrosse, rugby, or other teams. We need to stay in our lane. 

There is a very sizable African American middle and upper class population in this metro area that none of the professional teams or the Billikens have been able to tap successfully.  The NBA wouldn’t have that problem, plus the NBA would automatically be the most attractive option for national corporate dollars in this town. A NBA team would make money in St. Louis.  The problem is there are markets with with either less competition, larger population bases and/or more corporate dollars where owners think they could make more money.

57 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There is a very sizable African American middle and upper class population in this metro area that none of the professional teams or the Billikens have been able to tap successfully.  The NBA wouldn’t have that problem, plus the NBA would automatically be the most attractive option for national corporate dollars in this town. A NBA team would make money in St. Louis.  The problem is there are markets with with either less competition, larger population bases and/or more corporate dollars where owners think they could make more money.

I think you are kidding yourself with corporate dollars in this town. The EdJones-Stifels-Boeings-Centene’s are probably not look for other ways to spend advertising money. Corporate dollars are limited as we have lost S&P companies. Anheuser is no longer a STL company. World Wide has found other places for their money. There is NO demand for the NBA except a few fans like yourself.