GDT RHODE (CG out of town) I(hope we)SLAND Jason Jitoboh)

almaman

10 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

If the Billiken players were "dogging it," I don't think I could watch.  The tragically flawed, loser who tries real hard can be lovable but I want much more for the Billikens.  I really don't want my Billikens compared to the Blues......  

Call me crazy but I would love for the Billikens to make it to the post season 42 times in 51 years.

I want the Saint Louis U coach and AD to be 100% committed to winning.

Some years the winning might not be there  but the commitment to winning needs to be.

That is what we are seeing from the Blues this year. They made every attempt to go out and win the cup. Most preseason projections had them as one of the cup favorites.

It didn’t work but ownership did everything they could.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Call me crazy but I would love for the Billikens to make it to the post season 42 times in 51 years.

I mean if the goal is to finish in the top half of college basketball, like 16 of the 30(?) teams in NHL make the playoffs, I think the Bills are okay....

15 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I want the Saint Louis U coach and AD to be 100% committed to winning.

Some years the winning might not be there  but the commitment to winning needs to be.

That is what we are seeing from the Blues this year. They made every attempt to go out and win the cup. Most preseason projections had them as one of the cup favorites.

It didn’t work but ownership did everything they could.

Post season in hockey and college basketball are not even in the same ball park.  The Blues haven't been to the finals since before I was born unless I missed it and I was born in '69.  The Blues managed to be the king of the dipwads in an expansion division. 

I don't hate the Blues and I still think a playoff game I was able to attend with amazing seats was in the top 2 or 3 sporting events of my life.  If a Billiken crowd could approach that kind of intensity, it would be amazing.

8 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Post season in hockey and college basketball are not even in the same ball park.  The Blues haven't been to the finals since before I was born unless I missed it and I was born in '69.  The Blues managed to be the king of the dipwads in an expansion division. 

I don't hate the Blues and I still think a playoff game I was able to attend with amazing seats was in the top 2 or 3 sporting events of my life.  If a Billiken crowd could approach that kind of intensity, it would be amazing.

I know that it’s different.

All the little PR stuff we complain about on this board, the Blues do right.

Those PR things can be the difference between 75% capacity and a sell out.

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I know that it’s different.

All the little PR stuff we complain about on this board, the Blues do right.

Those PR things can be the difference between 75% capacity and a sell out.

I would hope that that the PR for a professional hockey franchise is superior to a mid/high-major college basketball program.  

16 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I would hope that that the PR for a professional hockey franchise is superior to a mid/high-major college basketball program.  

Sure but I would also hope even a mid/high major college could get dates right on promotions, hire a competent PA guy, figure out giving tickets to schools helps promote the program, have ads visable in the community, have a more active social media presence.

14 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I had a guy in Houston, at the game, ask me "where is Saint Louis from". I know that's not local, but it was one of the stupidest questions regarding SLU, I've ever been asked. I just assumed he was a complete moron.

Lol! Carl Lewis asked me the same question at the Houston game. At first I thought it was stupid, but then he pointed out that St Johns, St Joseph’s, St Mary’s , etc. are not city names.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

While 50 years of choking is true it’s also been 50 years of competitive hockey.

year in and year out the Blues try to win the cup, they just fail and usually in epic fashion.

Thats why the blues have such a great fan base. 

They know that ownership is going to do everything possible to win. They also have great marketing department.

This year they are awful but I can’t be upset with ownership. They spent to the cap limit and fired the coach, they just made some bad personnel decisions. That’s why I still go to games.

while the players might be dogging it ownership is trying to win and I’m confident changes will be made.

Saint Louis U needs to follow the Blues blue print.  They need to put a competitive team out there year in and year out, make the game day experience a memorable one, and make the fans feel like they are important. That is what the Blues are good at and that’s why they have such a great fan base.

If Stillman is serious about winning, Armstrong will get fired at the end of the season.  Armostrong has been the one constant for a decade of not getting over the hump.

Just now, brianstl said:

If Stillman is serious about winning, Armstrong will get fired at the end of the season.  Armostrong has been the one constant for a decade of not getting over the hump.

Agree.

ill be really surprised if he gets another year.

1 hour ago, David King said:

Lol! Carl Lewis asked me the same question at the Houston game. At first I thought it was stupid, but then he pointed out that St Johns, St Joseph’s, St Mary’s , etc. are not city names.

like, Thee Carl Lewis?

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

like, Thee Carl Lewis?

Yes, He's a track coach at UH. He sat right next to us and talked to us throughout the entire game. He predicted early on that Houston wouldn't be able to handle our bigs. At the end, he was a gracious winner. A real class act.

He has heard of St. Louis, Missouri; just didn't know the SLU was there.

15 minutes ago, David King said:

Yes, He's a track coach at UH. He sat right next to us and talked to us throughout the entire game. He predicted early on that Houston wouldn't be able to handle our bigs. At the end, he was a gracious winner. A real class act.

Using this logic then you could ask where is Houston?  While there is a city named Houston all the examples given above still apply.  Bottom line anybody who did not know the the SLU was in StL is not using their noggin.

17 minutes ago, David King said:

Did he sing the anthem?

brianstl and Littlebill like this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Using this logic then you could ask where is Houston?  While there is a city named Houston all the examples given above still apply.  Bottom line anybody who did not know the the SLU was in StL is not using their noggin.

My guess is he saw that the school goes by Saint Louis as opposed to St. Louis and that purposeful difference made it possible to him that the school might not be in the city that goes by St. Louis. 

TRN likes this

34 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My guess is he saw that the school goes by Saint Louis as opposed to St. Louis and that purposeful difference made it possible to him that the school might not be in the city that goes by St. Louis. 

My guess is he's just not very bright

brianstl likes this

I guess it's a fair point that St. John's, St. Joe's, St. Mary's, etc. are private schools whose names have nothing to do with their locations. I'm not sure I've ever thought of SLU that way, though, having grown up in St. Louis.

But I've seen plenty of people be surprised when they hear it's private or Catholic, having assumed it was a state school named after the city (like Houston or Cincinnati).

• 1 month later...