GDT RHODE (CG out of town) I(hope we)SLAND Jason Jitoboh)

almaman

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Keyon Dooling and Clarence Gilbert.  Sutherland was a little before them and came from South Dakota.

I actually liked Sutherland.

that guy was a firecracker.  He could also jump out of a gym before he blew out his knee. For a 6 foot white dude he could throw down some dunks.

I was in grade school and he talked about how “strength shows” were the reason he could jump so high. 

Me my buddy heard that and had to have them. 

I worked out in those stupid shoes for months and could barely touch the net.

strength-shoes-original-761x420.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I actually liked Sutherland.

that guy was a firecracker.  He could also jump out of a gym before he blew out his knee. For a 6 foot white dude he could throw down some dunks.

I was in grade school and he talked about how “strength shows” were the reason he could jump so high. 

Me my buddy heard that and had to have them. 

I worked out in those stupid shoes for months and could barely touch the net.

strength-shoes-original-761x420.jpg

Oh man, I had forgotten about those goofy shoes.  

It's interesting that you never see these things anymore.  It's almost as if people figured out that there's no substitute for genetics, squats, deadlifts and plyometrics.

19 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Oh man, I had forgotten about those goofy shoes.  

It's interesting that you never see these things anymore.  It's almost as if people figured out that there's no substitute for genetics, squats, deadlifts and plyometrics.

I bet you could make millions off of youngsters today if you updated the look a bit and got Tom Emanskie endorsing them.

9 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

I understand what everyone is saying with regards to our offense next year,  but I'm not going to take life with Javon Bess on my team for granted even for 1 second.  After watching this clip,  I'm going to make my son watch it everyday for as long as he loves playing ball.  I didn't think it was possible for someone to replace my favorite Billiken ever considering I've known Kevin Lisch since I was 5, but I think I'm at that point.  Bess just works his @$$ and is the ultimate example of what a player should strive for.  

FUOKING GET ME SOME TOWELS.

22 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Do you have an actual position on this? 

Yep.  SLU tickets are already the best deal in town.  $10 is not what is keeping the last 2,500-3,000 bodies out of the seats and preventing sell-outs.

The fan base simply isn’t big enough.  The program needs to win, and win alot, and win consistently for a while, in order to see those numbers change.  

How many sellouts did the sons of Majerus get at their peak, 3?

The die-hards already buy tickets and after 10+ years we know for certain, there are not 10,000 die hards fans willing to attented every game.

I sit in a section with less than a dozen season ticket holders in it.  If any other seats are filled they are these marginal fans.  The ones that make up the difference between our typical 7,000 and a sell-out. The ones that go beacuse they got a deal, or a freebie, or they are interested in that day’s particular opponent but wouldn’t watch us play NC Central if the team paid them.  When you hear these folks talk you realize how disconnected the casual basketball fan is from this program.  They don’t know the players, the history, or anything more than what they heard Frank say on the radio for 5 minutes weeks ago. 

The team needs to do some real winning and not just for a couple of months or a couple seasons.  Then maybe we’d actually have the sellouts people imagine.

11 minutes ago, ARon said:

Yep.  SLU tickets are already the best deal in town.  $10 is not what is keeping the last 2,500-3,000 bodies out of the seats and preventing sell-outs.

The fan base simply isn’t big enough.  The program needs to win, and win alot, and win consistently for a while, in order to see those numbers change.  

The die-hards already buy tickets and after 10+ years we know for certain, there are not 10,000 die hards fans willing to attented every game.

I sit in a section with less than a dozen season ticket holders in it.  If any other seats are filled they are these marginal fans.  The ones that make up the difference between our typical 7,000 and a sell-out. The ones that go beacuse they got a deal, or a freebie, or they are interested in that day’s particular opponent but wouldn’t watch us play NC Central if the team paid them.  When you hear these folks talk you realize how disconnected the casual basketball fan is from this program.  They don’t know the players, the history, or anything more than what they heard Frank say on the radio for 5 minutes weeks ago. 

The team needs to do some real winning and not just for a couple of months or a couple seasons.  Then maybe we’d actually have the sellouts people imagine.

Agreed with all this really. I always want to jump off a bridge when a local “casual sports fan” asks, “Is SLU even D1?”  

Consistently reahing the NCAA tournament year after year would do wonders for the program. This was supposed to be year 1 of a long streak. Hopefully it happens. Just win. 

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Agreed with all this really. I always want to jump off a bridge when a local “casual sports fan” asks, “Is SLU even D1?”  

Consistently reahing the NCAA tournament year after year would do wonders for the program. This was supposed to be year 1 of a long streak. Hopefully it happens. Just win. 

I just assume they are being passive aggressive. 

I think the marketing dept needs to step up.  They should have a complete section up top reserved.  This section should be used for local high school pep squads.  Let them have a contest from game to game to see who can be the loudest/cheer the most.  The winner gets a prize of some sort at the end of the year.  The kids will buy the over priced concessions.  Some of their parents will come and buy tickets. There are lots of things like this they could do.  

Spoon-Balls likes this

Attendance is about winning but it is also about the conference you play in and non-conference schedule.  Back in the great Midwest and conference USA days we were top 20 in attendance.  In the MCC days when we played at Kiel and some games in West Pine during the Grawer years the attendance was low.

The Butler attendance is what it should be if we win and get in the big east.  Keep winning get in the big east and there won’t be any free tickets to get fans to attend.

42 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I had a guy in Houston, at the game, ask me "where is Saint Louis from". I know that's not local, but it was one of the stupidest questions regarding SLU, I've ever been asked. I just assumed he was a complete moron.

That is a stupid question because it is like asking who is buried in Grant's Tomb.  

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I just assume they are being passive aggressive. 

Some are, but I’ve met many who genuinely don’t know.  There’s a lot of people who don’t even know there are conferences outside the Power 5. 

Even in the year when the A10 got six teams in I had people telling me SLU only got in because they’re the best of a crappy conference. Just plain ignorance. 

2 hours ago, Slowry said:

I think the marketing dept needs to step up.  They should have a complete section up top reserved.  This section should be used for local high school pep squads.  Let them have a contest from game to game to see who can be the loudest/cheer the most.  The winner gets a prize of some sort at the end of the year.  The kids will buy the over priced concessions.  Some of their parents will come and buy tickets. There are lots of things like this they could do.  

Agree completely. My buddy who teaches in Hazelwood tried multiple times in the past to get a few free tickets for his students and was shot down every time. Meanwhile, the Rams would dish out hundreds of tickets for kids to every game, including a free hot dog and drink.

Pick a few schools each game and provide a shuttle to the game for a few hundred kids. Concessions alone would make up that cost. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I had a guy in Houston, at the game, ask me "where is Saint Louis from". I know that's not local, but it was one of the stupidest questions regarding SLU, I've ever been asked. I just assumed he was a complete moron.

Did you ask him where is Houston from?!

13 hours ago, ARon said:

So using your logic when Missouri does not sell out their arena then their fan base is not big enough - correct? or at least that is what you are saying.  Perhaps the issue is more that some people just are not motivated to go to a basketball game.  You don't need a rabid fan base to have a decent fan following.  When the Rams were the Greatest Show on Turf then sold out all the time but when they regressed and tickets were not selling then according to you they had a big fan base but then did not.  A fan base remains through thick and thin it is the bandwagon fans that actually create the sell out - Cardinals excepted.

59 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

So using your logic when Missouri does not sell out their arena then their fan base is not big enough - correct? or at least that is what you are saying.  Perhaps the issue is more that some people just are not motivated to go to a basketball game.  You don't need a rabid fan base to have a decent fan following.  When the Rams were the Greatest Show on Turf then sold out all the time but when they regressed and tickets were not selling then according to you they had a big fan base but then did not.  A fan base remains through thick and thin it is the bandwagon fans that actually create the sell out - Cardinals excepted.

and Blues as well. 50+ years of choking and they have a fanbase still. I'm impressed.

4 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

and Blues as well. 50+ years of choking and they have a fanbase still. I'm impressed.

While 50 years of choking is true it’s also been 50 years of competitive hockey.

year in and year out the Blues try to win the cup, they just fail and usually in epic fashion.

Thats why the blues have such a great fan base. 

They know that ownership is going to do everything possible to win. They also have great marketing department.

This year they are awful but I can’t be upset with ownership. They spent to the cap limit and fired the coach, they just made some bad personnel decisions. That’s why I still go to games.

while the players might be dogging it ownership is trying to win and I’m confident changes will be made.

Saint Louis U needs to follow the Blues blue print.  They need to put a competitive team out there year in and year out, make the game day experience a memorable one, and make the fans feel like they are important. That is what the Blues are good at and that’s why they have such a great fan base.

ARon likes this

24 minutes ago, dlarry said:

While 50 years of choking is true it’s also been 50 years of competitive hockey.

year in and year out the Blues try to win the cup, they just fail and usually in epic fashion.

They know that ownership is going to do everything possible to win. They also have great marketing department.

This year they are awful but I can’t be upset with ownership. They spent to the cap limit and fired the coach, they just made some bad personnel decisions. That’s why I still go to games.

while the players might be dogging it ownership is trying to win and I’m confident changes will be made.

Saint Louis U needs to follow the Blues blue print.  They need to put a competitive team out there year in and year out, make the game day experience a memorable one, and make the fans feel like they are important. That is what the Blues are good at and that’s why they have such a great fan base.

When they were terrible post-lockout, the place was 75% empty. Winning still matters. Hell, Busch was half empty on weeknights near the ASB before they went on that run

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

If the Billiken players were "dogging it," I don't think I could watch.  The tragically flawed, loser who tries real hard can be lovable but I want much more for the Billikens.  I really don't want my Billikens compared to the Blues......  

Bonner89 and Littlebill like this