The Buck Stops at AD

Billy Ken

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

imo this close to the answer.   the overall success of slu athletics can be traced to our schools attitude towards supporting athletics.   replace the BoT with a board that wants to win and will fically support as such and only then will you see a chance for long term success for athletics. 

Totally agree.

9 hours ago, Compton said:

The AD seems to be doing his job so far - gave the National Coach of the Year an opportunity to recruit after showing he could take a team to the tournament, that makes sense. It didn't work out so he went out and hired someone that can recruit, that the boosters wanted and that went to the tournament 3 of his last 4 years, that also makes sense. If Carte'are Gordon decides to leave I have to think that's a personal decision that has less than nothing to do with Chris May.

Also, do you want an interventionist AD that blocks Coach Ford's recruiting for kids being "goof balls" or that they're "crazy"? Especially when they're one of the most talented recruits in the state and country? Seriously? 

Meanwhile all those claims of his that you list - Crews recruiting, Calbert being a game changer, Ford being the next Majerus - are evidence that he's a big outspoken supporter of the program. I'll take puffed up claims that show some enthusiasm and excitement for Billiken athletics over the dull qualified statements of Pestello every day of the week. 

Relatedly, in 2015 MBB was 3rd in attendance, 2016 3rd and 2017 4th. 

Basically, the AD seems to be doing his job (and letting Ford do his) - unless you expect having a Big East wizard's wand to be part of that job description.

IMO, an AD has three duties: raise money, build facilities and hire good coaches to lead programs.

1) I have no idea how much money the athletics department has raised, but they don't seem to be hurting.

2) Facilities are a failure, plain and simple. The only upgrades I can think of are the locker rooms and new video boards. But, it seems to me (speculation) that Ford/Stone got the locker rooms and the Arena built their own video boards. Hermann has been brought up several times and the baseball field is an embarrassment. 

3) Hire good coaches. This is a mixed bag, depending on expectations. Stone has built the WBB team into an A10 contender, but have yet to make NCAAs. Ford has reignited interest in SLU MBB, but has had his own issues (whether or not it is his fault is up for debate). The women's soccer hire seems like a home run, Kalish is TBD and volleyball has been awful. 

In all, I think May is ok, but not great. He's been able to maintain SLU as a top half department in the A10. Some people need to realize how much worse it could be. I may take heat for this, but we are not Xavier/Butler/Creighton in terms of recognition, but I also don't think we are that far away. 

13 hours ago, Bonner89 said:

The can't do attitude is not just a slu problem, but a St. Louis one.

This is the same town that told Walt Disney to GTFO in the early 60's because he wanted to capitalize on the downtown expansion by building a second Disneyland.

Who does that ? For whatever reason, this town is allergic to progress.

And now there’s going to be a 2020 bill on the state-wide ballot for a city-county merger because the St. Louis region has been incapable of helping itself all these years.