Carte'Are Gordon Rumored to Transfer

johnbj14

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

ever heard of Lenny Cooke? i doubt it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Cooke

There was a Lenny Cooke documentary that got pretty wide distribution on cable/streaming. It shows just how quickly it can all come unraveled for an elite player if his development stalls.

IMO,  it speaks volumes that CG quit the team in mid-season.   I cannot see how this benefits him career-wise.  Has there been another player do this in the past?

I agree with other posts - let's recruit athletes with character who are fully committed to the program. 

1 minute ago, SLUMS81 said:

IMO,  it speaks volumes that CG quit the team in mid-season.   I cannot see how this benefits him career-wise.  Has there been another player do this in the past?

I agree with other posts - let's recruit athletes with character who are fully committed to the program. 

Rueben Cotto left Majerus' team after one semester.  Ford picked up Ty Graves after one semester at Boston College.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't see this happening, but this is the first mention of Gordon and a possible landing spot that just wasn't come random guy.

I just can’t see Gordon going through the grind of practice and school anywhere for a year without playing ball.  

4 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I just can’t see Gordon going through the grind of practice and school anywhere for a year without playing ball.  

Agreed. If motivation, attendance, work ethic, and attitude were issues when he was a top 5 scorer and mostly starter, how can they not be issues sitting around for a year?

Cusamano mentioned Memphis yesterday as he played AAU for him at a time.  I don’t see him lasting wherever he winds up.  He’ll be playing in a lower division pro team in Bulgaria in a few years with the way he grinds on people.

10 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Respectfully disagree.  CG is a high level talent.  He was a force on D as freshman and his offensive game had a very high ceiling. From a pure talent standpoint, he is far more talented than Evans. 

Even if talent was similar - a 6'9 Evans is an NBA player, imo

If you are a program that currently has a scholarship spot open, Gordon is actually a low risk high reward guy to take a chance on right now.  Get him on campus for the spring semester and if he doesn't do what he needs to you cut him loose at the end of the semester.  He doesn't take a scholarship away from another potential player.  If he has his act together, well then you have a hell of a player.

TheChosenOne and Zink like this

3 minutes ago, davidnark said:

It would actually be at least a year and a half. 

Yeah, had he left before the end of the fall semester he could start playing after the end of the fall 2019 semester.

A year and a half is a long time for an unmotivated student.

Just now, Box and Won said:

Yeah, had he left before the end of the fall semester he could start playing after the end of the fall 2019 semester.

I think it is actually a year at most.  The second semester hasn't started at SLU.

6 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

year and a half is especially long when its all school no play, and carte loves school.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If you are a program that currently has a scholarship spot open, Gordon is actually a low risk high reward guy to take a chance on right now.  Get him on campus for the spring semester and if he doesn't do what he needs to you cut him loose at the end of the semester.  He doesn't take a scholarship away from another potential player.  If he has his act together, well then you have a hell of a player.

I agree mostly. The problem is a guy like that can obviously be a huge detriment to the team culture. There is risk taking him on and letting a “redshirt” guy, who isn’t contributing this year, derail the conference season. 

I just can’t see him going anywhere at this point. If he has to be walked to class at SLU, the thought of him cutting it as a sitout for a year at a place like ND is laughable. 

His smart bet is to explore what opportunities exist at a pro level. Although from the stories from SLU and high school we’ve heard, he could probably start an international incident if he goes to the wrong country. And as others have said, I don’t imagine it would be easy for any 19 year old, let alone this one, to go overseas and be mature enough to handle business.