Carte'Are Gordon Rumored to Transfer

johnbj14

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he was talented, but overrated. He is definitely a player that could develop and have a good career, but I thought his ceiling would be a Dewayne Evans type player.  That is the potential to be very good if he worked at it, but it wasn't a given he would attain that level. I never saw a potential NBA player. He is replaceable.

58 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Feel oddly good about the Gordon chapter of SLU history finally being over. 

I feel like Coach Ford knew he was taking a calculated risk when CG signed on. It didn't work out, but I don't fault him for trying. The signing certainly energized this fan base based off the potential. If CG was a poor teammate, it's actually way better this happened now, instead of trying to force him into the picture and having the internal drama prolonged. 

Cut bait, develop the young guys, and sign a replacement who wants to fit in with #TeamBlue 

TheOne likes this

3 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Like losing a pretty, high-maintenance girlfriend who you knew was going to dump you eventually anyway?

More like you knew there were problems but everyone thought you were so great together so you tried to make it work even though it was SSDD. 

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

I thought he was talented, but overrated. He is definitely a player that could develop and have a good career, but I thought his ceiling would be a Dewayne Evans type player.  That is the potential to be very good if he worked at it, but it wasn't a given he would attain that level. I never saw a potential NBA player. He is replaceable.

Respectfully disagree.  CG is a high level talent.  He was a force on D as freshman and his offensive game had a very high ceiling. From a pure talent standpoint, he is far more talented than Evans. 

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

I also respectfully disagree. I will bet I am one of the biggest Dwayne Evans fans (my position is he was the best player from the Majerus era), but give Gordon a couple of years to develop - with French to take off some of the pressure down low, he had the potential to be an all time great Billiken.

4 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I also respectfully disagree. I will bet I am one of the biggest Dwayne Evans fans (my position is he was the best player from the Majerus era), but give Gordon a couple of years to develop - with French to take off some of the pressure down low, he had the potential to be an all time great Billiken.

Maybe this should be a poll, but who is better in your mind: senior year Bess or senior year Evans?

5 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

In Durando’s Periscope, I thought fords reaction to, “how did the team react?” Was interesting.  (Tries to hold back a smile) 

seems the team had some non standard reaction

I thought the same thing.  When asked how the team handled the news there was an awkward pause and he grinned as if he was thinking to himself “I know the true answer, but I can’t tell the true answer to the media.”  He then appears to settle in on the coach speak high road answer.  I think the reality was the team was glad to have the distraction gone from practice, but Ford certainly couldn’t say that.

12 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Just as some of us were beginning to find acceptance.... 😂

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I thought the same thing.  When asked how the team handled the news there was an awkward pause and he grinned as if he was thinking to himself “I know the true answer, but I can’t tell the true answer to the media.”  He then appears to settle in on the coach speak high road answer.  I think the reality was the team was glad to have the distraction gone from practice, but Ford certainly couldn’t say that.

The whole thing was pretty weird. Interesting that Ford referred to it as mutual at least once. 

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

My thoughts exactly, he did let slip it was mutual 

If CG dropped the F bombs as scuttlebutt has it, that can't be tolerated be it a walk-on or a lottery pick. Even if the other players agree with the one dropping the f bomb they know the code and will reject the one who breaks it. 

If ever the program and more importantly us morons could use and easy win it's this Sunday.

11 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Maybe this should be a poll, but who is better in your mind: senior year Bess or senior year Evans?

I would take junior year Evans almost over any Billiken in the last 20 years (Hughes was 97-98).  Evans was one of the smartest players on the floor during those years, and being a smart player in a Majerus system does wonders.  It won't be captured by box scores, but he was great at positioning himself on the floor, and I was always impressed by his footwork from his freshman year. 

Evans stat line can be beaten by other Billikens, but he was not the only one scoring on those teams.  Meanwhile with Bess' teams, we have fewer scoring options, which may skew how much we can take away from his 15ppg this season.  I cannot argue that Evans is a better defender than Bess, but the Bess comparison post-Gordon will be interesting.  Evans in his senior year had to transition to playing the front court more with the graduation of Cody Ellis.  Evans more natural position was the 3.  Bess may have to undergo a similar transition with Gordon gone.

I concede, I have a lot of Billiken love for Evans.  Bess is a very good player that I would take most any day, but I would take the Evans years (under the Majerus system...even under Crews) before what I have seen of Bess.  What I have seen of Gordon so far this year, however, impresses me more than what Evans did his freshman year (and I was impressed with him then).

4 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

What I have seen of Gordon so far this year, however, impresses me more than what Evans did his freshman year (and I was impressed with him then).

I should, however, add that Gordon's chippyness on the court always scared me. There were too many times where he would "bump" into or seem to be talking smack to an opposing player after a play.  He also occasionally did weak versions of the Iverson step over Lue during games.  Eventually these actions will build a reputation, especially in conference play, and I was not looking forward to that.

Plain and simple if he thought he was bigger than the team, it's a good thing he's moved on to what he thinks will be greener pastures. A coach cannot be expected to have one set of rules for the team and one set for a prima donna. It never works out. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Plain and simple if he thought he was bigger than the team, it's a good thing he's moved on to what he thinks will be greener pastures. A coach cannot be expected to have one set of rules for the team and one set for a prima donna. It never works out. 

ever heard of Lenny Cooke? i doubt it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Cooke

Thanks NYB.  I for one had never heard of Cooke.  But the road to the NBA is littered with Lenny Cookes.  Dontonio Wingfeld.  Korleone Young.  Chris Washburn.  Ricky Frazier.  Adam Morrison.  Sam Bowie.  Not all are limited to just high school players.  Some include illustrious college careers.  I think the main player in making the show is your drive.  Those that have it make it. 

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

ever heard of Lenny Cooke? i doubt it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Cooke

Thank you Next Year for the link an interesting read that I would hope all up and coming high school athletes should read and hopefully to motivate them to finish college then go to the pros.

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

The article by Ben Fred is pretty brutal towards CAG.  Not a fan  

Here is the link to the article: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-uncertainty-hangs-over-gordon-s-future-after-chance-at/article_9ea38091-26ff-5088-8cdf-ee809d45aba2.html

I completely disagree with your assessment. I found the article to be a surprisingly well-informed and accurate description of the situation. 

2 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Here is the link to the article: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-uncertainty-hangs-over-gordon-s-future-after-chance-at/article_9ea38091-26ff-5088-8cdf-ee809d45aba2.html

I completely disagree with your assessment. I found the article to be a surprisingly well-informed and accurate description of the situation. 

I agree. We have to pull our head out of the sand. Everything BenFred said makes sense. I didn’t even realize zero players wished him luck. A few did like that he was leaving on twitter. 

i agree with davidnark.   it seems all fair and honest.   exactly what gordon needs to hear.   i sure hope the young man wakes up and realizes he is an adult and doesnt waste his god given gift.  everything he needed to become all he can be he just left behind at slu.  

David King and Duff Man like this