Carte'Are Gordon Rumored to Transfer

johnbj14

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It's been really crowded in their this season.

Hmmm that’s a good point. Perhaps DJ was so good beating players off the dribble because he was being guarded by the oppositions 5 because he was out there without French or Gordon Whereas this year he’s being checked by more “4s” or “power forwards”. Just spitballin’

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

I have faith in DJ to turn it around.  He started off slow last season and really seemed to turn it around in conference play.  

The good thing is that he really needs to “do less” and simplify what he’s doing. That’s far easier to do than adding something to your game. 

8 minutes ago, Zink said:

Sorry, I was saying that when he dribbles >1 time he struggles. He’s doing that more often this year than last, which is why his shooting percentage has plummeted. This is in part due to him being a terrible dribbler, but then also affects his finishing because additional dribbles means more time for defenders to rotate and help. He needs to be quick and decisive. He hasn’t all of a sudden become worse at finishing. He’s become worse at doing the things that allow him to score efficiently 

When he has it within 3' and has ball above his shoulders he is very accurate.

2 minutes ago, almaman said:

When he has it within 3' and has ball above his shoulders he is very accurate.

Idk if you’re taking the piss here, but honestly you’re right. Last year DJ almost always caught the ball below the FT line and only had to make one move to get a shot off. This year he has put his head down and dribbled into a crowd more times than I can remember. Scoring in basketball is as much about getting into the right spot as it is about anything else. 

i will be shocked if hankton gets regular double digit minutes.   if foul trouble, it could happen game to game, but otherwise i think they will utilize foreman and french with 4 guard sets as a second option.  

bess has more of a chance guarding and rebounding in the lane than hankton.  

that said, hankton will see time.   but again i will be surprised if he is a regular rotation guy.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i will be shocked if hankton gets regular double digit minutes.   if foul trouble, it could happen game to game, but otherwise i think they will utilize foreman and french with 4 guard sets as a second option.  

bess has more of a chance guarding and rebounding in the lane than hankton.  

that said, hankton will see time.   but again i will be surprised if he is a regular rotation guy.

Roy, I want to genuinely understand why you undervalue Hankton so much. I had heard very positive reports of him from early practices before he sprained his ankle. We haven't seen much of him, but from the limited minutes I have observed I have seen a guy with pure outside shot and great length. Unlike a few of the other freshman, he also looks comfortable when he has the ball. Admittedly, he is getting out-muscled on the boards as an 18 year old and is not an elite athlete, but I still like what I see. 

I am not trying to start a debate, I am really trying to understand what you have seen or heard that leads you to a different conclusion. 

1 minute ago, davidnark said:

Roy, I want to genuinely understand why you undervalue Hankton so much. I had heard very positive reports of him from early practices before he sprained his ankle. We haven't seen much of him, but from the limited minutes I have observed I have seen a guy with pure outside shot and great length. Unlike a few of the other freshman, he also looks comfortable when he has the ball. Admittedly, he is getting out-muscled on the boards as an 18 year old and is not an elite athlete, but I still like what I see. 

I am not trying to start a debate, I am really trying to understand what you have seen or heard that leads you to a different conclusion. 

Not speaking for Roy here, but I don't think Hankton is strong enough right now to play defense for extended minutes against an opponent's bigs and I don't think he he is quick enough to guard on the perimeter. I think Hankton probably has a future, but it is as a slightly undersized 4 who can stretch the floor instead of a wing.  That path will really start with an off-season in the conditioning program.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

9 minutes ago, davidnark said:

pure shot yes.  strength no.    he was pushed around like a grade schooler the other day.   and he doesnt have the handle and quickness to play on the wing.   the strength can be fixed with extended time in the weight room to possibly be an option underneath in the future.  the speed and quickness is god given.   but he indeed can shoot.  

imo he isnt a player at this level.   there was a reason he was still available as late as he was.   the good looking shot and free throws are intoxicating, especially considering the rest of the teams lack of such.   but there is no denying what he is beyond that.  

IllSideBills likes this

I'm not going to review each team's roster, but the A10 is primarily a guard league.  How many, if any, A10 teams will start or have two 6'7"+, 230 lb players on the floor at the same time.  Playing the 9 man rotation we now have will work, with 4 outer players and one inside.  Hankton fits in just fine and won't have to guard a monster underneath most of the time.  KC will get plenty of minutes.

For his size and strength, Gordon was a disappointing rebounder (4.1 rpg).

MattyMo213 likes this

we have french, foreman, bess, goodwin, isabell, and thatch that likely will garner the bulk of the minutes.   i agree that hankton will get minutes.   jacobs should start playing more and one would hope the likelihood he now plays gets rid of some of his hesitation and tepidness.   when wiley gets back in shape he will play more minutes.   

so my guess is that initially it will be the six above averaging between 25 and 35 minutes a game and then jacobs, wiley and hankton in that order for the remaining minutes.  eventually foul trouble or injuries will give someone else a chance and that will be their chance to make it a top 7 or 8.    

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Not speaking for Roy here, but I don't think Hankton is strong enough right now to play defense for extended minutes against an opponent's bigs and I don't think he he is quick enough to guard on the perimeter. I think Hankton probably has a future, but it is as a slightly undersized 4 who can stretch the floor instead of a wing.  That path will really start with an off-season in the conditioning program.

Sounds like freshman year Jalen Johnson. Hankton actually weighs more than JJ did. It remains to be seen whether he is capable of mixing it up inside. We only need 10-12 min from him, not the 24 JJ was forced to play.

47 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Interesting.  Coach successfully dodged a few questions. 

Said this only started being discussed Monday.  Said today was one of the best practices of the year.  Mentioned Hankton and Foreman seeing more attention.  "Hankton came back from Xmas really motivated and I rewarded him with more time. He'll be playing a lot more minutes.  KC has an underrated post game."  Sounds like he will play mostly on the outside, unlike where Welmer played.

Ford's silence yesterday was due to the team being off and he wasn't going to talk to media until he talked to the team. Ford said he didn’t know where Gordon was going, college or pro. 

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Any chance at a recap for those who can’t listen?

A lot of coach speak. Wished CG well and said they are figuring out how to craft smaller lineups. Said KC figures to play a bit more, but he won't be an inside presence. Compared KC a bit to EW in terms of how he likes to play on the perimeter. Said KC came back from Christmas playing very well and that is why he rewarded him on Sunday with time. Did not forsee CG transferring prior to them starting to talk about it on Monday. Coach did not find out about his decision via Twitter, was told before.