Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Bonner89

So, where do we go from here ?

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Not to rag on you particularly but why can't ANYONE on the internet tell loose from lose? 

Well given all the typos that appear on this and other internet boards I would think that mine would not have been that outstanding but who knew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ballingmeanthegradesfallin said:

An object in motion stays, in motion...

-From a Smart Dud

Since you put that comma in there, is ya sayin' he's stayin'??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Since you put that comma in there, is ya sayin' he's stayin'??

I actually wanted to empathise that we move forward, either way. Yes?

Quote

Screenshot_2019-01-02-18-39-06.png

Still don't know that this is true... was in the topic: https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28573-carteare-gordon-rumored-to-transfer/&page=12

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that it's official, winning the A-10 obviously just got a lot more difficult. I see our most likely chance of making the dance by winning the A-10 tourney.  

In terms of starters, I assume we go with Isabell, Jgood, Bess, DJ, and French.  Hankton will get a lot of PT at the 3/4.  Bess will likely be asked to play some 4, with Isabell, Goodwin and Thatch playing the 1-3.  We are so damn thin up front.   

In terms of recruiting, it's pretty clear that we need to find at least 2 bigs for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

 

In terms of recruiting, it's pretty clear that we need to find at least 2 bigs for next year.

Speaking of do we now have an extra scholarship for next season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Now that it's official, winning the A-10 obviously just got a lot more difficult. I see our most likely chance of making the dance by winning the A-10 tourney.  

In terms of starters, I assume we go with Isabell, Jgood, Bess, DJ, and French.  Hankton will get a lot of PT at the 3/4.  Bess will likely be asked to play some 4, with Isabell, Goodwin and Thatch playing the 1-3.  We are so damn thin up front.   

In terms of recruiting, it's pretty clear that we need to find at least 2 bigs for next year.

I think one thing that has really stagnated this offense is the continued reliance on double post lineups when most teams are going 4 out 1 in lineups that provide better spacing for the offense. Unclogging the middle will certainly help Goodwin and TI find their offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I think one thing that has really stagnated this offense is the continued reliance on double post lineups when most teams are going 4 out 1 in lineups that provide better spacing for the offense. Unclogging the middle will certainly help Goodwin and TI find their offense. 

I agree. That worked well with Hankton at the 4 last game. Gave French a lot of room to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will certainly give the coaching staff some things to think about and work on starting with today's practice. The offense hasn't really worked much in the pre-A10 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davidnark said:

I think one thing that has really stagnated this offense is the continued reliance on double post lineups when most teams are going 4 out 1 in lineups that provide better spacing for the offense. Unclogging the middle will certainly help Goodwin and TI find their offense. 

Is Wiley going to stay healthy and can you count on Jacabs or Thor to give you minutes?  Because you are going to need at least two out of those three to happen if we are going to roll out a four guards/wings. Bess is already averaging just under 36 minutes a game, Goodwin just under 32 and if you throw out Pitt game Isabell is just under 30. They really can't play more than they already are. Ideally you would hope to find more rest for Bess.

Or do you think you can get away with playing Hankton 20 minutes night in night out against decent competition?  I don't think he is strong enough physically to take on that role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Is Wiley going to stay healthy and can you count on Jacabs or Thor to give you minutes?  Because you are going to need at least two out of those three to happen if we are going to roll out a four guards/wings. Bess is already averaging just under 36 minutes a game, Goodwin just under 32 and if you throw out Pitt game Isabell is just under 30. They really can't play more than they already are. Ideally you would hope to find more rest for Bess.

Or do you think you can get away with playing Hankton 20 minutes night in night out against decent competition?  I don't think he is strong enough physically to take on that role.

Just need 1 of those 3 things to happen and it's pretty much hope that Wiley can stay healthy and give 25 mpg.  Remember, Thatch wasn't playing big minutes prior to Wiley's injury.  He is now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talent is still huge on this team. If Gordon was the main source of negative team chemistry then we may have ripped the thorn in this teams back and we might see the best team yet. Silver lining I guess. I don’t think this affect local recruiting since most local players were aware of the problems Gordon had. Now we can offer up a forward position to work with French

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Talent is still huge on this team. If Gordon was the main source of negative team chemistry then we may have ripped the thorn in this teams back and we might see the best team yet. Silver lining I guess. I don’t think this affect local recruiting since most local players were aware of the problems Gordon had. Now we can offer up a forward position to work with French

SLU can survive this locally.  Having Tate on the staff gives them extra leeway on this stuff, but trashing Gordon on the way out isn't going to help.  It is amazing that Gordon with his public comments (so far) seems to understand the optics involved better than some others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU can survive this locally.  Having Tate on the staff gives them extra leeway on this stuff, but trashing Gordon on the way out isn't going to help.  It is amazing that Gordon with his public comments (so far) seems to understand the optics involved better than some others.

Oh yeah the part where he said he left SLU like “Karrucche left Breezy” is very much reading the optics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU can survive this locally.  Having Tate on the staff gives them extra leeway on this stuff, but trashing Gordon on the way out isn't going to help.  It is amazing that Gordon with his public comments (so far) seems to understand the optics involved better than some others.

-SLU? or who? what has the U said or is it the lack of saying? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Oh yeah the part where he said he left SLU like “Karrucche left Breezy” is very much reading the optics. 

Where did he do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Where did he do that?

Not sure where he did that, but the SLU fans giving Gordon grief on twitter is not a good look.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

@Pistol what was Gordon’s overall + -? 

I don't have a season number (yet), but Sports Reference has his box plus-minus (box score estimate of the points per 100 possessions a player contributed above a league-average player, translated to an average team) as 4.4. This puts him just outside the top 20 for the A10. His defensive box plus-minus is 6.3, third in the A10.

But give me some time to find raw plus-minus numbers for the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-SLU? or who? what has the U said or is it the lack of saying? 

I don't think it is coincidental that all the bad Gordon at SLU stories all have come in the last 24 hours.  The most damaging of which happened long before yesterday (at least by definition in our modern news cycle).  It has been been whispered for a while.  The people that share that kind of information always attach stuff like don't let this become public.  The people who get that information try to keep it in a circle they trust so they can still get the information.  So it doesn't become public until someone on the inside gives the OK for it to become public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...