So, where do we go from here ?

Bonner89

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We go wherever we can go with what we have. Hot damn, I wish many of you had been in the service and had had a chance to see what you have to do with what you have at any given time. I have no doubt we will win any number of games with or without Gordon. Kids are kids and, as many have said, they make bad decisions. If we lose Gordon, the season is not over, we will not become automatic losers, and we will still have a chance to win A10. This is with or without Gordon. We are going to see Hankton, Jacobs, and Gundmunsson play more. We may also see Raboin and Courtney playing more minutes. I believe in Ford and think he will manage without  Gordon. However, I will not assume Gordon is indeed leaving until the official announcement comes. 

Matty Light likes this

I think it is All Hands On Deck.  The lack of depth will definitely hurt this team and its ceiling for this year.  As far as our chances go, I believe we will incur a few more conference losses as a result.  However, the A-10 conference tournament becomes all the more important.  No redshirts this year.  We are going to need everyone.  We will likely have to win 3 games in 3 days.  That requires some depth and stamina. 

If Elliot Welmer has any chance of playing on that foot before the Conference Tournament, I would give it a shot.  Even if he can only play in the second game of the A10 tourney, that will provide some relief to someone else.  It's time to start finding out what these players have for meddle.  I love that Javon Bess is on this team.  If he can figure out how to win games in the last possessions like Jordair Jett, we will still be in good shape for getting wins.  He has the talent to do it.

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

We go wherever we can go with what we have. Hot damn, I wish many of you had been in the service and had had a chance to see what you have to do with what you have at any given time. I have no doubt we will win any number of games with or without Gordon. Kids are kids and, as many have said, they make bad decisions. If we lose Gordon, the season is not over, we will not become automatic losers, and we will still have a chance to win A10. This is with or without Gordon. We are going to see Hankton, Jacobs, and Gundmunsson play more. We may also see Raboin and Courtney playing more minutes. I believe in Ford and think he will manage without  Gordon. However, I will not assume Gordon is indeed leaving until the official announcement comes. 

The walk ons are not going to play anymore because of this.  They are blow out game minutes guys or if we loose most of our roster to injuries. - perish the thought.

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

The walk ons are not going to play anymore because of this.  They are blow out game minutes guys or if we loose most of our roster to injuries. - perish the thought.

The walk-ons are not going to play anymore, but we will need them to step it up in practice.  It is hard to get better playing against a JV squad.

So incredible to see how often the roster has unraveled over the past decade due to varying circumstances. Whether it be repeated situations, broken feet, random transfers, it all has made it so monumentally difficult to be a devoted Billiken fan. It already involved a great deal of pain and suffering to support this hoops program, but every subsequent year just reopens fresh wounds and throws a handful of salt on them.

St. Lunatic likes this

This team is experienced in dealing with adversity and shortages in the line-up.  This may be an addition by subtraction situation.  I will admit that, at best, the better team chemistry will only possibly approach making up for the loss of his talent, but I'm hoping that the team rallies around this situation and wins the A-10.  Let's start by beating RI on Sunday and go from there.

It sure feels like French / Goodwin / Thatch is the core of this team beyond this season.  They are all premier defenders.  Finding pieces that mesh will be critical.

Hankton will need to find his role.  Getting some healthy contributions from Wiley and Welmer at some point before the end of the season will be as well.

FT problems suddenly seem like a minor problem.  Maybe this will ease some pressure.

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

We went from having one of the deepest and possibly best frontcourts in SLU history at the beginning of the year to being very thin again. Just have to stay out of foul trouble. I still think we are in contention for the league title. Just going to be harder.

Elliot Welmer to the rescue!

blue font

3 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

Is it possible gordan was a negative impact and reason offense struggled........

It is possible, sure. Do I think so? Nope, not at all. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Not to rag on you particularly but why can't ANYONE on the internet tell loose from lose? 

25 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Not to rag on you particularly but why can't ANYONE on the internet tell loose from lose? 

The Stable Genius misspelled it in one of his TwitStorms the other day. I think we should just add a third o when we use the word "loose" and go from there.

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Chill, he played 11 min against App St and it was probably one of our better games of the year. Not like we're losing The Legend. If he was a problem child, good riddance. 

yep. we gotta  come out against R I and handle them like we did App St. I bet we do. If someone issuing up a team they seem to react positively more often than not.