How to improve our free throw shooting

kapills

I learned about Emotional Freedom Technique many years ago, used it to tamp down desire for sweets. It's pretty simple, uses positive affirmations and tapping on specific areas of head. Got to thinking about using it to help our poor free throw shooting.  Google Emotional Freedom Technique and free throw shooting. A lot comes up, but I have included two links which I found most interesting. If anybody has coach's ear maybe they could make aware of this post. I found a women from St Louis who works with people for personal instruction and I asked her if she would be willing to talk to whole team. She seemed very interested. Once you guys[and girls?] have a chance to look at this I would appreciate your thoughts.

EFT for Sports & Other Personal Performance - EFT Universe.webloc

www.eftuniverse.com:.webloc

This method is used frequently in baseball and golf for the yips.  It can work but would take commitment and can look weird(imagine seeing our players on the bench frequently tapping their face).  At that point we'd stick out just as much as shooting free throws underhanded.  Visualization, breathing techniques, and a consistent routine at the free throw line are likely the most realistic simple fixes that can yield positive results outside of shooting hundreds of free throws a day. 

With all due respect, kap, the teams who shoot free throw well consist of players who shot free throws well in high school. It's no accident that Davidson shoots over 75% from the line every year. McKillop recruits good free throw shooters.

Ford opted to build his roster with the best players he could get. It just so happens that 3 of those guys are bully ball types and those players don't normally shoot free throws well.

The trick now is to add significant contributors who can make free throws, even if that means sacrificing physicality. We've already seen some of that in the 2019 class with Jimerson and Perkins. There are a handful of 75%+ shooters on our 2020 offer list but I'd like to see more.

billiken_roy likes this

I am surprised that opposing coaches don't use a hack a French strategy. Especially if we are in the one and one, run someone in and foul French. At the very least it would force Ford to take him out if he continues to miss. I guess it's college coaches are just not as sophisticated as the pro's. They just don't do stuff like this or 2 for 1's. with the clock. 

Interesting point about McKillop recruiting shooters. He probably thinks, and it works for him, that most player's skill at shooting is pretty much developed by his SR year of HS and any improvement in college will be marginal. He probably also believes the players' defensive skills out of HS are not all that great, but can be improved significantly thru coaching once they arrive on campus. McCall was a prime example of this under Majerus. 

17 hours ago, Littlebill said:

We’ll have they tried just practicing every once in a while?

Ford says they have to hit a 100 FTs every practice before they can leave the gym.  It is not that they don't practice - if it was that easy it would have been solved a long time ago.  It is in their heads and has become a contagious thing.  How do you break this cycle - don't ask Steve Sax because he never figured it out.

2 hours ago, willie said:

I am surprised that opposing coaches don't use a hack a French strategy. Especially if we are in the one and one, run someone in and foul French. At the very least it would force Ford to take him out if he continues to miss. I guess it's college coaches are just not as sophisticated as the pro's. They just don't do stuff like this or 2 for 1's. with the clock. 

Haven't you been watching - why do you think their %s from the field are so low this year.  Foreman, French and Gordon are fouled every time.

40 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Haven't you been watching - why do you think their %s from the field are so low this year.  Foreman, French and Gordon are fouled every time.

They are fouled shooting the basketball at the rim. They are not hacked holding the ball before the shot. 

9 minutes ago, willie said:

They are fouled shooting the basketball at the rim. They are not hacked holding the ball before the shot. 

No need to hack them with the ball if they are not in a position to shoot.  My point was they hack them when they shoot because they defense is willing to take the odds of them only scoring 1 or none then 2.