The Bills over RI by 6

The Wiz

"We have seen the enemy and he is us".....Quote from an old cartoon strip.

This could mean that we are our own worst enemy....which could be true but in this case it has an additional meaning.  In going through the stats, I noticed a strange quirk ...RI is a mirror team of us. So the quote in this context means we are in a manner of speaking playing ourselves.  A team that is horrible on offense ....yes slightly worse than us (check the report card below) and as good as we are on defense (again check the grades below).

Both teams come in at B....The good news is we are at home (this may not be so good next month when we play at their place) and we are trending up and they are trending down. Let's look at the report card...

...............................SLU..............................RI.............................................SLU...................................RI

..................................................OFF......................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................D-.................................D..................................................A..................................B+

FG%..........................D-................................F+.................................................B+.................................B+

3P%..........................D..................................F-  4th worst ITN.........................A-.................................A+... 14th ITN...

FT%...........................F-....6th worst ITN......D+.........................................................................................

Reb............................A-................................A-..................................................B-...................................C-

Top 100 ITN

STLS....Goodwin ...28th 

BLKS....Gordon.......75th 

REBS....Langevine...17th

The actual spread is 4-7 pts ....and with a 3pt margin of error there is no room for mistakes or poor play.

WDWN2D2W....Stop Langevine...no double double...keep him at 11pts and 7 rebs...he is a reb machine...pretty much their only rebounder....and stop Dowtin ...pretty much their only shooter....hold him to 12pts....The rest is simple ...42/47/ 32/60...this is not a projected slash in order to win...this is our actual slash...we need to do this ...all 4 components.  If we make our slash ....the key to the game is to beat them on TOs and Rebs...

Injury report....12/30 18...Wiley.....Thigh...Out indefinitely....There is no timetable for return

.........................12/9/18...Welmer...Left Foot...Out indefinitely...He will miss an extended period of time.

Bottom line....If we do 3 things....make our normal slash...and beat them on TOs and Rebs ...we win.  This is not going to be an easy game to open with....RI is one of 6 teams that has a chance to win the conf... ...

If we take care of biz....Then we will win, says The Wiz

Trivia question....In regards to the opening quote....What was the comic strip? And where and when was it first used....Answer on the post game wrap up. 

Pogo. Don't know where and when with Pogo. However in the spirit of answering without looking anything up, I know it was a take off of a military quote which I believe had the ending …. "and they are ours". Maybe Revolutionary war?  I'm sure some history buff can correct me 

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Pogo. Don't know where and when with Pogo. However in the spirit of answering without looking anything up, I know it was a take off of a military quote which I believe had the ending …. "and they are ours". Maybe Revolutionary war?  I'm sure some history buff can correct me 

You are correct so far...Pogo...and a play on words...key battle during the War of 1812

Hint on where and when...

Started a major movement nearly 50 years ago...It is a key topic in today's world.

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

URI always scares me. Even in the latter Barron years when they stunk they got the better of us.

Curious Wiz, the FT shooting, not looking at the box scores, seems like the trim line is going in the right direction. French is even hitting a few.

Since hitting the abyss after the Ore St game....average for the season  had dropped to 58.5 %....we have gone 53 of 88 for a 60.2% average and our overall average has "sky rocketed" to 59.6%. We have gone from 3rd worst in the nation to 6th worst. So in the micro world of FT shooting we are "improving". In the real world of college basketball, we are still mired at F-...We need to get to 67% to "move up" to F

On 1/1/2019 at 2:00 AM, The Wiz said:

"We have seen the enemy and he is us".....Quote from an old cartoon strip.

This could mean that we are our own worst enemy....which could be true but in this case it has an additional meaning.  In going through the stats, I noticed a strange quirk ...RI is a mirror team of us. So the quote in this context means we are in a manner of speaking playing ourselves.  A team that is horrible on offense ....yes slightly worse than us (check the report card below) and as good as we are on defense (again check the grades below).

Both teams come in at B....The good news is we are at home (this may not be so good next month when we play at their place) and we are trending up and they are trending down. Let's look at the report card...

...............................SLU..............................RI.............................................SLU...................................RI

..................................................OFF......................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................D-.................................D..................................................A..................................B+

FG%..........................D-................................F+.................................................B+.................................B+

3P%..........................D..................................F-  4th worst ITN.........................A-.................................A+... 14th ITN...

FT%...........................F-....6th worst ITN......D+.........................................................................................

Reb............................A-................................A-..................................................B-...................................C-

Top 100 ITN

STLS....Goodwin ...28th 

BLKS....Gordon.......75th 

REBS....Langevine...17th

The actual spread is 4-7 pts ....and with a 3pt margin of error there is no room for mistakes or poor play.

WDWN2D2W....Stop Langevine...no double double...keep him at 11pts and 7 rebs...he is a reb machine...pretty much their only rebounder....and stop Dowtin ...pretty much their only shooter....hold him to 12pts....The rest is simple ...42/47/ 32/60...this is not a projected slash in order to win...this is our actual slash...we need to do this ...all 4 components.  If we make our slash ....the key to the game is to beat them on TOs and Rebs...

Injury report....12/30 18...Wiley.....Thigh...Out indefinitely....There is no timetable for return

.........................12/9/18...Welmer...Left Foot...Out indefinitely...He will miss an extended period of time.

Bottom line....If we do 3 things....make our normal slash...and beat them on TOs and Rebs ...we win.  This is not going to be an easy game to open with....RI is one of 6 teams that has a chance to win the conf... ...

If we take care of biz....Then we will win, says The Wiz

Trivia question....In regards to the opening quote....What was the comic strip? And where and when was it first used....Answer on the post game wrap up. 

The bold part of the quote turned out to be true....We played ourselves...a terrible offensive team and a great defensive team AND we won. It wasn't just that the score was close ...everything was close. ....

.............................SLU.......................RI

Slash..............38/41/ 33/ 48..........35/35/33/69..while we were a little under normal we won the battle of the slash ...even with weak FT shooting

OReb.....................10..........................10

DReb......................27.........................29

Reb........................37..........................39

Asst.......................13...........................10

Stls...........................9............................8

Blks...........................5...........................3...btw...the main CG stat was Blks (75th ITN)...we averaged 4.8 with CG.....we made 5 this game.

TOs...........................12.........................17....The key to the win

Review of WWN2D2W

Stop Langevine....This was a split....Projected 11 pts 7 reb...6pts... 10 reb ..so this was a wash but a good effort....Stop Dowtin...Hold to 12 pts ...he had 11...Pass....another great effort........Slash line...as mention above we were a little under but we know how to out shoot ourselves...in this case RI.  Beat them on Reb and TOs...we were pretty much even with Reb but beat them good on TOs....

Bottom line... a very even low scoring game as projected...like playing ourselves....we lost 3 pts on poor FT shooting ( poor even for us) and picked up 10 pts on TOs  for a net gain of 7 pts...the game margin.  

I had a few people ask me about the "Gordon effect"...and would I change my spread during the week.  I made that 6pt spread a week ago  before the turmoil (why does it seem like a month ago.)  and didn't see anything that would make me want to change it....ie we could make up the loss of CG .   It was interesting to me that Vegas came out today with Bills by 5....so it looks like they came to the same conclusion.

Trivia answer...slufanskip was correct in identifying Pogo as the the origination of the quote...It was first used on April 22nd , 1970 on a poster proclaiming the first Earth Day...which started the modern day environmental movement.   As for The Bills ...one last tweak to the quote...

We have seen the enemy and he is us....and we beat him....

Go Bills......Great way to start conference play.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

I believe FDR used that quote from Pogo in a broadcast during the depression. It is true, we may be our worst enemies.

The original quote ...We have met the enemy and he is ours was originally said by US naval commander  Oliver Hazzard Perry after a key naval battle in the War of 1812. (Battle of Lake Erie -1813)  It was key because it helped turn the tide toward the US in that war plus it was also the first defeat for the British Royal Navy. ...Nearly 160 years later , it was turned into a pun on the Earth Day poster and then shortly afterward the Pogo comic strip made the pun famous.

On 1/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, The Wiz said:

You are correct so far...Pogo...and a play on words...key battle during the War of 1812

Hint on where and when...

Started a major movement nearly 50 years ago...It is a key topic in today's world.

Seems like a naval battle on Lake Erie; not putting any $ on this...

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The original quote ...We have met the enemy and he is ours was originally said by US naval commander  Oliver Hazzard Perry after a key naval battle in the War of 1812. (Battle of Lake Erie -1813)  It was key because it helped turn the tide toward the US in that war plus it was also the first defeat for the British Royal Navy. ...Nearly 160 years later , it was turned into a pun on the Earth Day poster and then shortly afterward the Pogo comic strip made the pun famous.

Re the 1st defeat for the Royal Navy, AARP age status can play havoc with HS history memories, but I will bet $ that  John Paul Jones and the Bonhomme Richard beat the Serapis on the high seas during the Revolutionary War.

40 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

Re the 1st defeat for the Royal Navy, AARP age status can play havoc with HS history memories, but I will bet $ that  John Paul Jones and the Bonhomme Richard beat the Serapis on the high seas during the Revolutionary War.

FWIW ESPN morse code ver 1 had RN 59% chance so it was sort of an upset.

5 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

THIS DAY IN HISTORY

SEPTEMBER 10

The Battle of Lake Erie

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

In the first unqualified defeat of a British naval squadron in history, U.S. Captain Oliver Hazard Perry leads a fleet of nine American ships to victory over a squadron of six British warships at the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812.

The battle was closely contested for hours, and Perry’s flagship Lawrence was reduced to a defenseless wreck. He then transferred to the Niagara and sailed directly into the British line, firing broadsides and forcing the British to surrender. Perry had won a complete victory at the cost of 27 Americans killed and 96 wounded; British casualties were 40 dead and 94 wounded. After the battle, Perry sent a famous dispatch to U.S. General William Henry Harrison that read, “We have met the enemy, and they are ours.” The Battle of Lake Erie forced the British to abandon Detroit, ensuring U.S. control over Lake Erie and the territorial northwest.

This is from the History Channel....

I think the difference here is that John Paul Jones defeated another ship....This defeat was an entire squadron.

We are a bit off topic here which is OK since we are tied to an institution of higher learning.

In an effort to try and get us a little bit back on topic....please note that ....

US Captain Oliver Hazzard  Perry , the guy who defeated the British in this battle ,  was from RI.... in addition he captured 6 British warships ( the same number as in this point spread).......and so as in all good naval battles, maybe it is time  to let this topic sink.