Appy State from da' Couch .....

Taj79

Nothing new to add as we finally got the laugher we all wanted.  But it wasn't without consternation ... a six-point lead at half cut quickly to three.  Then we took off, a lot having to do on the defensive end but a whole lot to like on the offensive end.

On offense, we moved better and went into the middle a lot.  The big white kid Seacat couldn't stay with Hasahn but French  has to relax some at the point of release. His drive and his moves were all good but finishing was tough at first.  Just slow down a little big guy ---- you'll be okay.  I still like Goodwin with the ball and Isabell at the off-wing.  Yesterday showed me more promise in that alignment than the Isabell-with-the-ball strategy we've seen to date.  Goodwin's detachment from the three-point line showed great promise and immediate dividends.  He looked a lot like Bess with the pull-up, mid-range jumper.  The push inside allowed easy put backs for Thatch, Goodwin and Bess.  Even Appy State's weak big men showed me that Gordon needs to understand that he's stepped up a level and he needs to play as such.  He's a big time recruit and has the work ethic so I'm sure he'll get there.  French and Isabell went two-for-twelve in the first half.  They each went four-for-nine in the second for an equal share of ten-for-28 which includes French's breakaway thunder-dunk.  We'll need better against the better, higher end competition in the A10 at Davidson, St.Joe's, Mason and Rhodey.  More on the A10 below.

Defensively, shutting out Shabazz in the second half ended it for Appy State.  The hedging done by the off-ball defender really worked to take the ball out of his hands.  And Bess got his usual defensive mojo on so Shabazz was screwed.  Kid is a nice player for the Sun Belt.  We outrebounded them by 13 andthat would have been more if not for long rebounds on missed threes.  They played 15 guys so walk-ons got a free trip to see the Lou.

The freshmen got time.  Hankton started well but got manhandled on the boards for the most part.  Jacobs two quick fouls limited his time but he looked okay as a freshman.  Neither are Thatch or Gordon but who is?  Fred will be a 1000 point scorer before all is said and done just by his demeanor.  What is the deal with Foreman?  it was asked but with Gordon out and French with four, Ford sends Hasahn back out even after Foreman started.  DJwas a hell of a cheerleader for the walk-on when Raboin was scoring.  So he was still "in" the game.  Anybody know anything?

Rammer said Wiley is a game or two away so that's a good sign for conference play.  Because here we go.  A 9 and 4 record is a little short of what I expected as i had us beating both Pitt and SIU.  We continue to play to the level of our competition but I expect things to change somewhat because it is conference season and teams will know each other better and we'll be playing for a double bye in Brooklyn.

The A10:  as stated by many people, it seems to be a down year for the conference this year.  Significant wins have been rare and few right now.  The best seems to be VCU's run over Texas and Temple with a 'questionable' loss to St. John's.  Duquesne closes things in the OOC out today and I will wrap it all up tomorrow.  As many know, I do a lot of A10 watching and have seen each A10 team about two or three times.  I still see us as the class of the league right now but that really means nothing as any team can beat the other right now and,if past history serves, that WILL indeed happen.  

DISCLAIMER:  The "A10 2018 A10 Wrap-Up" will be a long read.  Best not to read it with a hard hangover after a NYE binge. YOU know who you are!

MattyMo213 likes this

I thought Hankton getting Foreman's minutes helped our offense dramatically. It limited offensive turnovers, kept the opponent's defense more honest in the zone, and helped enable better ball movement. Hankton is going to have to adjust to the size and strength to rebound better at this level, but he brought a lot to the team. He also did a nice job defending on the ball and rotating correctly on defense. 

2 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I thought Hankton getting Foreman's minutes helped our offense dramatically. It limited offensive turnovers, kept the opponent's defense more honest in the zone, and helped enable better ball movement. Hankton is going to have to adjust to the size and strength to rebound better at this level, but he brought a lot to the team. He also did a nice job defending on the ball and rotating correctly on defense. 

Agreed. Having a stretch big really opened up the interior for French and Gordon (I know this isn't a new revelation). It sucks cause we really need a Welmer on this team. 

47 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Nothing new to add as we finally got the laugher we all wanted.  But it wasn't without consternation ... a six-point lead at half cut quickly to three.  Then we took off, a lot having to do on the defensive end but a whole lot to like on the offensive end.

On offense, we moved better and went into the middle a lot.  The big white kid Seacat couldn't stay with Hasahn but French  has to relax some at the point of release. His drive and his moves were all good but finishing was tough at first.  Just slow down a little big guy ---- you'll be okay.  I still like Goodwin with the ball and Isabell at the off-wing.  Yesterday showed me more promise in that alignment than the Isabell-with-the-ball strategy we've seen to date.  Goodwin's detachment from the three-point line showed great promise and immediate dividends.  He looked a lot like Bess with the pull-up, mid-range jumper.  The push inside allowed easy put backs for Thatch, Goodwin and Bess.  Even Appy State's weak big men showed me that Gordon needs to understand that he's stepped up a level and he needs to play as such.  He's a big time recruit and has the work ethic so I'm sure he'll get there.  French and Isabell went two-for-twelve in the first half.  They each went four-for-nine in the second for an equal share of ten-for-28 which includes French's breakaway thunder-dunk.  We'll need better against the better, higher end competition in the A10 at Davidson, St.Joe's, Mason and Rhodey.  More on the A10 below.

Defensively, shutting out Shabazz in the second half ended it for Appy State.  The hedging done by the off-ball defender really worked to take the ball out of his hands.  And Bess got his usual defensive mojo on so Shabazz was screwed.  Kid is a nice player for the Sun Belt.  We outrebounded them by 13 andthat would have been more if not for long rebounds on missed threes.  They played 15 guys so walk-ons got a free trip to see the Lou.

The freshmen got time.  Hankton started well but got manhandled on the boards for the most part.  Jacobs two quick fouls limited his time but he looked okay as a freshman.  Neither are Thatch or Gordon but who is?  Fred will be a 1000 point scorer before all is said and done just by his demeanor.  What is the deal with Foreman?  it was asked but with Gordon out and French with four, Ford sends Hasahn back out even after Foreman started.  DJwas a hell of a cheerleader for the walk-on when Raboin was scoring.  So he was still "in" the game.  Anybody know anything?

Rammer said Wiley is a game or two away so that's a good sign for conference play.  Because here we go.  A 9 and 4 record is a little short of what I expected as i had us beating both Pitt and SIU.  We continue to play to the level of our competition but I expect things to change somewhat because it is conference season and teams will know each other better and we'll be playing for a double bye in Brooklyn.

The A10:  as stated by many people, it seems to be a down year for the conference this year.  Significant wins have been rare and few right now.  The best seems to be VCU's run over Texas and Temple with a 'questionable' loss to St. John's.  Duquesne closes things in the OOC out today and I will wrap it all up tomorrow.  As many know, I do a lot of A10 watching and have seen each A10 team about two or three times.  I still see us as the class of the league right now but that really means nothing as any team can beat the other right now and,if past history serves, that WILL indeed happen.  

DISCLAIMER:  The "A10 2018 A10 Wrap-Up" will be a long read.  Best not to read it with a hard hangover after a NYE binge. YOU know who you are!

I'm not sure if Bess tried to force Shabazz to his right in the first half but he totally took away his left hand in the second. It was clinical. 

I liked going to Hankton since they were a team whose bigs aren't all that big. Looks like he isn't ready to defend at the 4, but gives other 4's some real trouble on the other end. When Foreman has his games where it looks like he's a little lost, I like that we have an extra option.

26 minutes ago, willie said:

I'm not sure if Bess tried to force Shabazz to his right in the first half but he totally took away his left hand in the second. It was clinical. 

it appeared to me in the second half he just got up on him more than anything.   there was absolutely no room to go straight up.   Bess is quite special.   

3 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

I thought Hankton was a nice surprise.  He played half the game & looked really fast now that he's healed.  Hit 2 fts.  Sign him to a long term contract.  Can't expect much more for his first real game.

Was really pleased with hankton, especially his on the ball defending. He didn’t look lost, had some confidence and contributed.  Yes, he has flaws, but liked it hat I saw at this stage in his development.

42 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Was really pleased with hankton, especially his on the ball defending. He didn’t look lost, had some confidence and contributed.  Yes, he has flaws, but liked it hat I saw at this stage in his development.

One of his flaws is his physicality, and boxing out skills. He gave up way too many rebounds. His shot did look good, as did Raboin's.

12 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I agree - he has an upside.  Lets not forget Jett's freshman year - he was turnover machine who basically stayed a one dimensional scorer his entire college career but who would not want him back.  Lets give Hankton some time to develop.  If he can improve on defense - often said about freshmen - and hit that perimeter shot consistently then he is a big asset.  I liked that he played without committing fouls which is often what freshmen do - foul a lot.  Yes he has to get stronger but most freshmen do.

38 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I agree - he has an upside.  Lets not forget Jett's freshman year - he was turnover machine who basically stayed a one dimensional scorer his entire college career but who would not want him back.  Lets give Hankton some time to develop.  If he can improve on defense - often said about freshmen - and hit that perimeter shot consistently then he is a big asset.  I liked that he played without committing fouls which is often what freshmen do - foul a lot.  Yes he has to get stronger but most freshmen do.

jett is one of the best athletes to ever be a billiken.   that is god given.   hankton is very average athletically and that cannot be taught.

I cannot pretend to be able to predict the future about how someone will or will not develop. Hankton is improving and I hope we can get him to improve to his full potential. What this will turn out to be I cannot say. All the best to Hankton, his efforts are starting to pay.