Alford booted mid season

almaman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, brianstl said:

First, I never said those states weren’t, also, “leaches”.  Second, CA gets almost $20 billion more in defense spending than those other states combined.

Like I said earlier, the numbers generated by wallethub are flawed in many ways. They included import duties, excise tax and port maintenance taxes collected on imports in a state in that state’s total sent to the feds.  Those taxes aren’t taxes paid by the people of CA. They do boost CA’s taxes paid number as CA has the first, second and sixth busiest ports in the country.

Look, we can throw lots of numbers around can we simply agree that CA has the largest economy that supports both CA and the USA at a level that other states simply do not.  That was my only point.  I just get a little tired of all the automatic statements that CA is a hell hole and why would anybody want to live there comments that some people make as a knee jerk reaction.  I am not saying that you are one of those people  in fact I don't think you are.  I also agree with you that poverty in this country is a structural problem that will only get worse unless we all agree to look at it in an objective way and not in the "welfare queen" attitude expressed by some.  So it is not just a CA issue but a USA issue. Would I like to live in CA - I visit the state often at least once a year and all in all I like the weather, the countryside, beaches,  and actually the people are basically nice just like other places.  Now do I like the congested cities - of course not but as in any large city there are pros and cons.  I would have no problem moving to CA to live but I do agree that I would have to have a plan for housing just like I would have to have a plan for housing in FL or AZ - different approaches but still a plan.

California is or is not a hell hole depending on where you live, how much money you make, and how much you like the place. The economy of CA is huge, but so are taxes. Water is always a problem there. The climate is quite variable depending on where you are located.

The ring of Fire location does add a bit of hell on earth to an idyllic place. Al Gore tells us it’s only going to get worse. Has since his first book. Whole city wiped away in 2018. Of course tornadoes can do the same in the Midwest. 

Still striking that he was cut loose mid season with no known misdeeds. 

If I was a billionaire and had no compunction about rashly throwing money away, I'd live in san Diego or New York, or Seattle or Honolulu.  As a non billionaire, working man all of those blue bastions seem out of touch and ridiculously expensive to live in...…...

almaman, drkelsey55 and brianstl like this

I think the many posts say a lot about the good and bad about Cal and trying to find a high end established coach for UCLA will not be easy.  UCLA might feel one day why did we fire Alford similar to what Illinois should be feeling about firing Bruce Weber.

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think the many posts say a lot about the good and bad about Cal and trying to find a high end established coach for UCLA will not be easy.  UCLA might feel one day why did we fire Alford similar to what Illinois should be feeling about firing Bruce Weber.

Indeed. Maybe Bruce for Bruins :)

4 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

If I was a billionaire and had no compunction about rashly throwing money away, I'd live in san Diego or New York, or Seattle or Honolulu.  As a non billionaire, working man all of those blue bastions seem out of touch and ridiculously expensive to live in...…...

San Diego and New Orleans are my favorite cities in the country.  I wouldn’t want to live in New Orleans, but San Diego I could handle. It isn’t what it was 25 years ago.  The population had really boomed, it has become much more expensive and the homeless problem is almost on par with LA and San Diego.  Still, it is hard to beat the weather, beauty and food that San Diego has to offer.

4 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Agreed, you'd certainly be more comfortable in places like MS, Arky, Louisiana and Bama.

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

San Diego and New Orleans are my favorite cities in the country.  I wouldn’t want to live in New Orleans, but San Diego I could handle. It isn’t what it was 25 years ago.  The population had really boomed, it has become much more expensive and the homeless problem is almost on par with LA and San Diego.  Still, it is hard to beat the weather, beauty and food that San Diego has to offer.

New Orleans is great but the smell ruins a lot of it

brianstl likes this

43 minutes ago, ACE said:

Agreed, you'd certainly be more comfortable in places like MS, Arky, Louisiana and Bama.

I was thinking more Texas or Florida on the gulf coast.  You can get by there with millions instead of billions and be left alone by the government to a greater extent...….  

33 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I was thinking more Texas or Florida on the gulf coast.  You can get by there with millions instead of billions and be left alone by the government to a greater extent...….  

Agreed, those are better choices - less hypocrisy about the federal government than you'll find in most southern states.

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

Dick Vitale wants Rick Pitino to be UCLA's next coach.

There's a great sound bite that Kilcoyne played at the start of this college basketball season. I think it was on his first broadcast of the year... to paraphrase "College basketball is back baby, I'm so excited, I don't even care about the scandals!"

almaman likes this

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

We've enjoyed our 18 years in Florida including 3 moves from Gulf Coast to South FL and final move back to Gulf Coast. It's funny when we are asked occasionally by people in the Lou when we are moving back and the same answer is NEVER. We are Floridians.

6 minutes ago, Schasz said:

We've enjoyed our 18 years in Florida including 3 moves from Gulf Coast to South FL and final move back to Gulf Coast. It's funny when we are asked occasionally by people in the Lou when we are moving back and the same answer is NEVER. We are Floridians.

my one trip to Keys convinced me no need to go farther than the Gulf Coast which I've been few dozen times. Place I dreamed of moving and may be a bit protected from hurricanes and tourist is DeFuniak Springs. Luv the name and it's an interesting little town. Area has lovely rivers to kayak and canoe too.

5 minutes ago, almaman said:

my one trip to Keys convinced me no need to go farther than the Gulf Coast which I've been few dozen times. Place I dreamed of moving and may be a bit protected from hurricanes and tourist is DeFuniak Springs. Luv the name and it's an interesting little town. Area has lovely rivers to kayak and canoe too.

I will die in the Keys

1 hour ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I will die in the Keys

Went straight to Key West so besides claustrophobic drive through them all can't say that I've done anything. Looked beautiful. Key West just seemed like Soulard or French Quarter surrounded by water that is hard to access. Interesting but enjoyed my 2 days in South Beach on way home way more than week in Key West.

15 minutes ago, almaman said:

Went straight to Key West so besides claustrophobic drive through them all can't say that I've done anything. Looked beautiful. Key West just seemed like Soulard or French Quarter surrounded by water that is hard to access. Interesting but enjoyed my 2 days in South Beach on way home way more than week in Key West.

Key West is great but there is more to the Keys than just Key West. 

DirtyRican likes this