Alford booted mid season

almaman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Pistol said:

His base salary is over $2.6 million. His buyout will be $3.7 million.

I looked at his contract a little bit and am curious as to what CA regulations you're talking about that would make them have to get creative. Having seen plenty of other compensation structures for big-time football and basketball coaches at state schools, it doesn't look any different from what you'd see elsewhere.

I think I heard that the boosters have to make up the difference then the top salary allowed

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

I think I heard that the boosters have to make up the difference then the top salary allowed

I think a lot of these contracts are structured with a  lower base salary then add on   extras like guaranteed money for coaches show' s public appearances,  camps etc. 

50 minutes ago, Pistol said:

His base salary is over $2.6 million. His buyout will be $3.7 million.

I looked at his contract a little bit and am curious as to what CA regulations you're talking about that would make them have to get creative. Having seen plenty of other compensation structures for big-time football and basketball coaches at state schools, it doesn't look any different from what you'd see elsewhere.

well like i said, that was a distant memory i remember from back when howland became the coach.    it was something about limiting the amount of a state employee salary.   and seem to remember they had to construct guarantee money from sponsors and boosters, etc to offset the difference.   that very well could have went away since.   i try not to keep up with anything in that god forsaken state.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

well like i said, that was a distant memory i remember from back when howland became the coach.    it was something about limiting the amount of a state employee salary.   and seem to remember they had to construct guarantee money from sponsors and boosters, etc to offset the difference.   that very well could have went away since.   i try not to keep up with anything in that god forsaken state.  

You know Roy - this not suppose to be a forum for political statements but just to set the record straight - IL or MO would kill for the CA economy.

willie, rgbilliken and SLU_Lax like this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Understood. Again, I'd wager he lands softly at a P5. Aren't a lot of guys out there w/ his resume, even though it's not up to UCLA standards. 

UCLA will once again be trying to convince their crazed fan base they'll hit a grand slam here. So, who are the big names that might be swayed: Pearl, Wright, Sampson come to mind. However, Pearl and Sampson do have some dirty laundry. Do they try and lure Stevens  away from the Celts? That would be a Hollywood type hire for sure. Does Stevens, even want to leave the NBA? No idea. Pitino? Nope he's toxic to college hoops right now. Few and Marshall? Both seem quite comfortable with their situations and likely won't be influenced by LA's bright lights and big $$, which they will need in CA.  

I don’t think Wright, Stevens, or Few they have really good coaching jobs that are successful and I think you mention those names because that would be a big splash for the unrealistic expectations of their fan base.

I could see Greg Marshall being a smaller splash possibility because LA >Wichita.  I have been flying into Wichita a lot for the last two years and it is flat and windy all of the time.  I have worked in LA a few times and it is crowded and expensive but better than Wichita plus UCLA is still a big time job and a big jump for coach Marshall.

I wonder if Lorenzo Romar could get an interview?

It will be interesting to see who fills that coaching position.

18 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You know Roy - this not suppose to be a forum for political statements but just to set the record straight - IL or MO would kill for the CA economy.

cheese i am not a fan of my own f'd up state (over $300 billion in debt) i'd leave tomorrow if not from my family.   as to your California economy statement, i am sure the taxpayers in both illinois and missouri would love to have california's $1.3 trillion dollars of debt.

btw, you made this political.   i just called the state "god forsaken".

Billiken Rich likes this

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Respectfully Cheese Roy might not have meant anything political I have worked all over Cal.  Kimberley Clark offered me a job in the early 90’s in Orange County but I did not accept the job because of the high cost of housing, taxes, living and crowded.

You are correct the economy is the best of all 50 states and that would be wonderful to have that in Mo.

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

cheese i am not a fan of my own f'd up state (over $300 billion in debt) i'd leave tomorrow if not from my family.   as to your California economy statement, i am sure the taxpayers in both illinois and missouri would love to have california's $1.3 trillion dollars of debt.

btw, you made this political.   i just called the state "god forsaken".

I made an assumption - sorry.  By the way, their debt must be seen in relation to the size of the economy and population.  Good luck in AL and MS when you get a chance to move at least they get more back then they send.

billiken_roy likes this

8 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Respectfully Cheese Roy might not have meant anything political I have worked all over Cal.  Kimberley Clark offered me a job in the early 90’s in Orange County but I did not accept the job because of the high cost of housing, taxes, living and crowded.

You are correct the economy is the best of all 50 states and that would be wonderful to have that in Mo.

All that has to be kept in mind when making a decision where to live.  Had you gone, your house would be worth a number of times more than it was then.  When Pujols took the contract for the Angels it was pointed out that the net was about the same for the one the Cards offered him.  Everybody has their own reasons.  I accept your point about Roy and said so to him.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I made an assumption - sorry.  By the way, their debt must be seen in relation to the size of the economy and population.  Good luck in AL and MS when you get a chance to move at least they get more back then they send.

no worries, i just hate paying taxes.  GD it is my money.   i understand the need for infrastructure and security, etc.   but too much money is wasted and then the states want to get in our pockets.   illinois tax rate keeps climbing and will likely go up again next year.  california tax rate is horrible.  i'd be off to a no income tax state in a second if it was completely up to me.  the price i pay to hang with my grandchildren i guess.  

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

no worries, i just hate paying taxes.  GD it is my money.   i understand the need for infrastructure and security, etc.   but too much money is wasted and then the states want to get in our pockets.   illinois tax rate keeps climbing and will likely go up again next year.  california tax rate is horrible.  i'd be off to a no income tax state in a second if it was completely up to me.  the price i pay to hang with my grandchildren i guess.  

91sn32Q.jpg

But back to the subject at hand, I can't find any CA regulations that are much different than other states in terms of paying public employees. If they had a max salary law that forced boosters to cover the difference, it doesn't appear to still be on the books. So this shouldn't be a stumbling block for whoever they're seeking for Alford's job. I'm seeing Earl Watson and Eric Musselmann mentioned the most.

It was a bill last season. It never got out of committee. It would have capped all non faculty salaries at $200,000.  

We can talk about California’s great economy all you want. I’ll take Missouri and IL over CA.  Both states have lower traditional poverty rates than CA.  California’s poverty rate is down right obscene when you adjust the number for factors like cost of living at 24%.  Don’t try to tell me a state where almost 1 in 4 live in poverty is a great economy.  

50 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yep, states like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, West Virginia, and Kentucky, are the ones that leech the most off the federal government. If any states deserve to be labeled "god forsaken" it would be these.

51 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It was a bill last season. It never got out of committee. It would have capped all non faculty salaries at $200,000.  

We can talk about California’s great economy all you want. I’ll take Missouri and IL over CA.  Both states have lower traditional poverty rates than CA.  California’s poverty rate is down right obscene when you adjust the number for factors like cost of living at 24%.  Don’t try to tell me a state where almost 1 in 4 live in poverty is a great economy.  

I believe California would be the 7th largest economy in the world if taken alone. 

4 hours ago, ACE said:

Yep, states like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, West Virginia, and Kentucky, are the ones that leech the most off the federal government. If any states deserve to be labeled "god forsaken" it would be these.

These numbers are really misleading because it leaves out much of the money the DOD spends in each state.  CA is a leach when you add the $50 billion the DoD spends in CA each year.

3 hours ago, willie said:

I believe California would be the 7th largest economy in the world if taken alone. 

What good is claiming you have the 7th largest economy when one in four people are living in poverty? California’s economy is huge, but it isn’t really working for the people that live there.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

What good is claiming you have the 7th largest economy when one in four people are living in poverty? California’s economy is huge, but it isn’t really working for the people that live there.

6th - those states mentioned above also have DOD facilities.

56 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

6th - those states mentioned above also have DOD facilities.

First, I never said those states weren’t, also, “leaches”.  Second, CA gets almost $20 billion more in defense spending than those other states combined.

Like I said earlier, the numbers generated by wallethub are flawed in many ways. They included import duties, excise tax and port maintenance taxes collected on imports in a state in that state’s total sent to the feds.  Those taxes aren’t taxes paid by the people of CA. They do boost CA’s taxes paid number as CA has the first, second and sixth busiest ports in the country.