Gdt: Appetizer state

While we scored a lot points tonight we still had one of our usually scoring drought in the first half which allowed Appl State close the gape to 4 and 6 at the half.  Had we not had that drought we would have gone in at half with a respectable 12 -15 point lead and the second half performance would have given us a 40 point win.  I am not complaining just pointing out that if we could just not have these droughts we would have beaten Pitt, Houston, and SIUC.  I just hope we can cut this  habit out for conference play.  Our pg guards had a total of 5 TOs  today and a number of assists ( not sure the total) but this is a good first step for solving our pg woes.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I thought Isabell has a strong second half.

That's why I commend Coach for sticking with him. He was ineffective in the first half, against some pretty soft defense. I would have benched him and played  the freshmen the rest of the way.  But Coach has adopted the long view. We need Isabell going into the Rhode Island game with at least some positive experience as a playmaker.

brianstl likes this

15 minutes ago, GoBills73 said:

JG led the team in +/- and while he was 0-3 from 3 he hit the rest off his jumpers. His jumper looked good. 

One of his 3s was a 40 ft shot at the end of the shot clock. He played a lot of point even when Isabell was in the game.  I thought he played real well. Didnt force anything.

whatever the tweaks were, I liked it. The ball movement was crisper, and effective. Shots did not fall in the first half but persistence paid off.

The Bess/Shabazz show at the end was nice.  Shabaka hit some tough threes, but Bess contained him most of the game.  Bess drove right around him for a nice 3 point play

I have to give credit to Isabelle, since I’ve been critical of his play in the past.  That was his most disciplined game.  I hope he sees that he can get his points and the offense will perform better in general if he sticks to the game plan like he did tonight.

Also, Goodwin’s mid range jump shot looked good tonight.  It would be a huge boost to the offense if he started hitting shots like Bess has been.  Coach said in the post game interview with Rammer that Goodwin has been following Bess’s lead of showing up early to and staying late at practice to get extra shots in.  Love that a veteran like Bess is influencing other guys’ habits like this.  Hopefully, Goodwin can pass that on to younger guys starting next year.

Zink likes this

It's a really small thing but at the end of the highlights Gordon and Raboin do a jumping side bump. I never put any stock into what was said by pseudo insiders about Carti G in the lead up to his joining the Billikens so it's really nice to see little things like that completely opposite of those whispers.

8 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I have to give credit to Isabelle, since I’ve been critical of his play in the past.  That was his most disciplined game.  I hope he sees that he can get his points and the offense will perform better in general if he sticks to the game plan like he did tonight.

Also, Goodwin’s mid range jump shot looked good tonight.  It would be a huge boost to the offense if he started hitting shots like Bess has been.  Coach said in the post game interview with Rammer that Goodwin has been following Bess’s lead of showing up early to and staying late at practice to get extra shots in.  Love that a veteran like Bess is influencing other guys’ habits like this.  Hopefully, Goodwin can pass that on to younger guys starting next year.

Everyone needs to follow the example of Blue Collar Bess. Encouraging to hear JGOOD is now also bringing his hard hat and lunch bucket to the gym, putting in the OT well past when the whistle blows. He’ll get his time & a half reward with higher numbers as a prime time stat sheet stuffer.

David King likes this

On 12/31/2018 at 9:23 AM, billikenfan05 said:

It's a really small thing but at the end of the highlights Gordon and Raboin do a jumping side bump. I never put any stock into what was said by pseudo insiders about Carti G in the lead up to his joining the Billikens so it's really nice to see little things like that completely opposite of those whispers.

Lol this post didn't age well.