Florida State from da'Couch in MD ....

Taj79

... hate to admit this but didn't watch (yet ---- as I have it taped) but it appears the decision to go off and play with the grandkids was a better decision.

Based on the GDT, all our fears came to fruition on this one.  No point guard and no shooters has plagued us greatly this year and will continue to do so.  Skills remain in question.  Offensive scheme.  Losses of personnel expected to contribute these last two years and the really obvious fact that State was a Elite Eight team.  

We all seem to know the weaknesses.  It is up to Ford and staff to check fire and make adjustments.  Instead of watching the Bills disappoint, maybe I'll now turn to the Iggles and watch them finally flush this Super Bowl-defending season.

All is not lost, however the focus is drastically changed.  

One thing that is bothersome is the apparent regression of both Goodwin and French from last year. Goodwin's ball handling has been  atrocious. And he gets a little careless with his passes. He seemed more aware of his surroundings last year than this season and made some great assists. French, while still a beast on the boards and on D, is having a lot of trouble hitting shots. While never considered a real scoring threat he was showing a lot of promise in conference play w/ that mini skyhook of his. Also, got a fair number of putbacks on either jams or tip ins. That seems to be lacking this year. I'm going to chalk it up to the interior being so packed w/ defenders Superman would have trouble getting off a decent shot. Figuring we will see teams continue to pack it in on us the rest of the way, and, right now, we have no answer for it until we start hitting some shots from the perimeter.  

16 minutes ago, slu72 said:

One thing that is bothersome is the apparent regression of both Goodwin and French from last year. Goodwin's ball handling has been  atrocious. And he gets a little careless with his passes. He seemed more aware of his surroundings last year than this season and made some great assists. French, while still a beast on the boards and on D, is having a lot of trouble hitting shots. While never considered a real scoring threat he was showing a lot of promise in conference play w/ that mini skyhook of his. Also, got a fair number of putbacks on either jams or tip ins. That seems to be lacking this year. I'm going to chalk it up to the interior being so packed w/ defenders Superman would have trouble getting off a decent shot. Figuring we will see teams continue to pack it in on us the rest of the way, and, right now, we have no answer for it until we start hitting some shots from the perimeter.  

The only way to improve our perimeter shooting is to shoot and not stop shooting.  What is the difference if we miss or we get the ball blocked, stolen or the lay up missed in the paint either one results in zero points - yes we could get fouled but shooting under 60% at the FT line makes it a bad trade off.  I would rather hope to hit one of the perimeter shots.  Hit one 3 and it is like us going to line 6 times and hitting only 3 of them.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Sophomore slumps?

Never understood why, but it does seem to afflict a fair number of players. So, let's call it that. In French's case, opponents probably risk taking a foul, because they know he's no threat from the line. He could really help himself if over the summer he worked on a pull up jumper from 10 feet or so. 

In JGood's case, he deserves some leeway because of the nose injury and the mask. But now it's off, so you can't use that. And he has shown flashes of his old self at times in the last 3-4 games. Still, his TOs are disturbing. 

I contend what will turn goodwin and french and frankly the rest of the team's offense is putting the players in the best position to succeed.  Standing on the preimeter or running the weave till the shot clock is nearly expired doesnt seem to work.   

Turn up the pace!

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

The eye test certainly agrees with your statement.  However, the stats don't show a total downturn.  Goodwin's minutes are down (from last year full season) by almost 2 mpg, and his scoring is down 1ppg, but he is shooting 3% better from the field and 4.5% better from the arc.  Rebounds are down 1.4 rpg, assists down 0.4 per game, and TO's up 0.2 per game. He isn't handling the ball as much, so you would expect assists to be down.  I do agree with most everyone else, our backcourt needs adjustment, reconfiguration, or a total burn it down and start over. Both he and Isabell aren't what we expected.

French on the other hand, yeah.  Minutes down somewhat, scoring down almost 3 ppg, shooting down 11%, with rebounds up 0.2 per game.  I don't think Coach has figured out how to maximize he and Gordon.  

willie likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

The eye test certainly agrees with your statement.  However, the stats don't show a total downturn.  Goodwin's minutes are down (from last year full season) by almost 2 mpg, and his scoring is down 1ppg, but he is shooting 3% better from the field and 4.5% better from the arc.  Rebounds are down 1.4 rpg, assists down 0.4 per game, and TO's up 0.2 per game. He isn't handling the ball as much, so you would expect assists to be down.  I do agree with most everyone else, our backcourt needs adjustment, reconfiguration, or a total burn it down and start over. Both he and Isabell aren't what we expected.

French on the other hand, yeah.  Minutes down somewhat, scoring down almost 3 ppg, shooting down 11%, with rebounds up 0.2 per game.  I don't think Coach has figured out how to maximize he and Gordon.  

French seems easy enough to figure out: 1) he’s a known commodity and 2) teams are packing the lane making it tougher for him to be effective.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

French seems easy enough to figure out: 1) he’s a known commodity and 2) teams are packing the lane making it tougher for him to be effective.

3) he’s an extreme liability in close games due to his free throw shooting