GDT: Florida State, sunny place for shady people

NextYearBill

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. We don't have to agree.

I'd like to see a token 'thank you for your effort guys', to the bench players who put in hard work every day.  Getting into the box scores is likely a big deal to them.  

I didn’t mean to imply otherwise, I can see it both ways for sure. I wish we had seen the bench guys more throughout the early season, but injuries and such might have hampered that.

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. We don't have to agree.

I'd like to see a token 'thank you for your effort guys', to the bench players who put in hard work every day.  Getting into the box scores is likely a big deal to them.  

Disagree with the token thank you, but agree that it wouldn’t hurt to give some bench guys a little run in a blow out.  Can Jacobs be a pg at this level?  I don’t know, but give him some extended minutes when we’re down 25.  Can hankton do anything productive?  I don’t know, but what do we have to lose?  Can Thor hit a shot against live competition?  

this team will do very well in the a-10.not happy about the game but fsu will do this to a lot of teams this year. bills have no point guard on the roster so that will plague them all year. still the best team we have had in awhile so enjoy, we knew we werent a final four team so appreciate what we have

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

he will simply be remembered as an overrated billiken. 

This is one of the worst post of the year. Goodwin is a sophomore and a leader on a team picked to finish top in the a10. He's had some good moments and some bad. He's human. He went 3-15 from the field, sometimes shots don't fall. He found a way to contribute in other facits. You don't see him sulking around after making a bad play.  Goodwin wasn't the reason we got steamrolled. I blame pestello personally. (Blue font). Let's go fuok up some a10 teams. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

They aren’t bad.

They were over hyped, not just on this board but by both local and national writers.

They also suffered some losses that we under played. Santos, Welmer, and Elliot arent playing I don’t think we ever admitted how bad those losses were going to hurt.

They also have a poor roster construction. No point guard no shooters and to many similar players.

The Bills are a good A10 team but when they play national powers they are going to get steamrolled 9 times out of 10.

The season isn’t a loss. I may be crazy but I still think they can win the A10 and go dancing.

FSU is a final 4 quality team. I’m not going to let that slaughtering dash my hopes for a successful run this year.

After the early signing period last year we were supposed to have Johnson, Welmer, Pearson, Santos, Henriquez, Bishop, and the transfer from BC (I can't remember his name). There are our shooters.  We have 6 left playing from that 13.

3star_recruit likes this

Goodwin and French have regressed offensively because scouting at this level is very good. There's plenty of film on these guys. Coaches know what kind of shots these guys want to to take. So they clog up that area of the floor and force Goodwin and French take shots under duress or take shots outside of their comfort zone.

This is how the rest of their career will go until they develop a counter. Simple to say but incredibly tough to do. Goodwin and French have dominated their whole lives playing bully ball. They've never failed before. 

GoSluBills likes this

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Goodwin and French have regressed offensively because scouting at this level is very good. There's plenty of film on these guys. Coaches know what kind of shots these guys want to to take. So they clog up that area of the floor and force Goodwin and French take shots under duress or take shots outside of their comfort zone.

This is how the rest of their career will go until they develop a counter. Simple to say but incredibly tough to do. Goodwin and French have dominated their whole lives playing bully ball. They've never failed before. 

Goodwin has to get confidence in his jump shot. French needs shooters on the team so he stops getting doubleteamed. That probably won't happen until next year.

16 minutes ago, slusam said:

Goodwin has to get confidence in his jump shot.

Again, a really tough to thing to do when you've never been good at it despite countless hours of practice. At least Thatch has a high school season of shooting 40% from three he can point to. Same with Bess, and it still took him until his 5th year before he became that kind of shooter again. 

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, I prefer seeing the rotation guys still in the game in a blowout. Let them either wear it or continue to compete and hopefully do some good things (which Thatch really did).

Florida State really overmatched us from the start. Minus garbage time, we didn’t belong on the court with them outside of Bess and Gordon at times. Just way to sloppy and again our offense couldn’t generate anything. I think FSU plays how I was expecting us to play offensively. Really unselfish and a lot of player and ball movement finding the open man despite not truly having elite shooters.

Thank you. We still have conference seasons to get to the NCAA tournament. We need to use every opportunity to allow our mainstays to work out the kinks. 

38 minutes ago, slusam said:

After the early signing period last year we were supposed to have Johnson, Welmer, Pearson, Santos, Henriquez, Bishop, and the transfer from BC (I can't remember his name). There are our shooters.  We have 6 left playing from that 13.

Ty Graves.

If this team still had Graves, Henriquez and Santos they’d be a top 20 right now.

HenryB and AGB91 like this

Sometimes, as Tony LaRussa would say, you just have to tip your cap.  We really sucked today, but on the other side, if FSU plays like that every game they could win the ACC, and the tournament for that matter.  They have easily double the talent of any other team we have faced or will face for the rest of the year.  They defended with passion and hit a super high percentage of 3's, while we missed chippies all day ( although their tremendous length has a lot to do with that)  I'm definitely tipping the cap to those dudes, and hopefully we learn from the experience.

dlarry likes this

Not going to read this entire thread.  I figured a few have already jumped off the cliff.  The big problems that seems to be consistent this year is that they just do not protect the ball - too many TOs and they give up too many second and third chances to the other team.  If rebounding was suppose to be a positive this year it has not been consistent - by the way scouting does not keep you from being able to rebound.  I agree not having a real point guard is a problem.  I know the FT shooting has been terrible but they were not particularly good last year either and I have just about given up it improving by any significant amount this year.  It is in their heads and they can not shake it.  At this point, I will take an NIT bid with a bit of run in it to help build their confidence.  I was cautious about this year because until you actually show you can win and play with the big boys you don't get credit for it from me.  I also agree that FL State will destroy lots of really good teams if they play this way.

dennis_w likes this

29 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

they will have a very good record in the a-10 and ford has shown his teams improve thru the year, i am believing for a spot in dance

That is all true but the A10 is way down this year and we don’t have an at-large resume as of today.

Better be good in Brooklyn, or they can go after is a league title and NIT autobid.

dennis_w likes this

We had more rebounds, more blocks, more steals, more shots attempted, more free throws made, and fewer turnovers. It came down to shooting, they were great, we sucked. We had 5 assists all game, with 3 coming in the last 6 minutes during the press. Our offense has no flow. The only time it seems like there is any flow, and guys seem comfortable, is during our transition offense, as a result of our press over the last couple games.