GDT: Florida State, sunny place for shady people

NextYearBill

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, moytoy12 said:

How many unforced turnovers? How many of those stats were collected in garbage time?

He actually only had three turnovers (which of course is three too many). But four of our five starters had at least three turnovers today. Goodwin's shooting, 3 of 15, was the real issue today. But then again, Gordon and Thatch were the only two that shot well at all today. Bess was 6 of 18. Isabell was 1 of 5 and French missed all five of his shots. I'm a Goodwin lemming, so I'm inclined to defend him. 

Well that sucked but our team never quit.

FG 19-62 30 percent, 3pt 3-14 21 percent, FT 17-24 70 percent, rebound 39-37 SLU, 5 assists 18 turnovers and 4 blocks.

Scoring Bess 14, Gordon 14, Goodwill 8, Isabell 7, Thatch 7, DJ 6, French 1.

I agree with all posters now that Thatch should start over Isabell.  I am glad that Isabell is on our team but he makes as many mistakes as Thatch does with Isabell being a senior Thatch will improve.

Merry Christmas everyone better games to come.

Go Bills

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’d rather watch our starters try to put it together, not scrubs 

Why?  You want Isabell to finish this out?  In a blow out you give your bench time on the floor.  You hope to develop a bench sometime this year.  What harm would 3 minutes of Hankton and 4 of Jacobs do?  Starters weren't going to put anything together.  So we loose by 25 instead of 22? That matters?

So you can't lose to Pitt, SIUC, UH and FSU.  You got to pick up another win amongst those games.  We didn't and I'm not that hopeful that they will dominate a "down" A10.  Things can always change but I'm not happy right now.  Pretty pretty pretty frustrated.  My opinions are starting to turn on this staff.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’d rather watch our starters try to put it together, not scrubs 

Yeah, I prefer seeing the rotation guys still in the game in a blowout. Let them either wear it or continue to compete and hopefully do some good things (which Thatch really did).

Florida State really overmatched us from the start. Minus garbage time, we didn’t belong on the court with them outside of Bess and Gordon at times. Just way to sloppy and again our offense couldn’t generate anything. I think FSU plays how I was expecting us to play offensively. Really unselfish and a lot of player and ball movement finding the open man despite not truly having elite shooters.

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

So you can't lose to Pitt, SIUC, UH and FSU.  You got to pick up another win amongst those games.  We didn't and I'm not that hopeful that they will dominate a "down" A10.  Things can always change but I'm not happy right now.  Pretty pretty pretty frustrated.  My opinions are starting to turn on this staff.

I think we should hold off on A10 predictions until Jan 5th. This team can dominate but not w/o some changes. 

Bonner89 likes this

6 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

And you know we’ll drop 3-5 in the A10, at a minimum. 

Only way we beat FSU is to hit 3s and we didnt. They are to big to score consistently inside. We also needed a game that FSU didn't shoot well and they shot as good as they can from 3. We out rebounded them and they had 2 more turnovers. We also shot freethrows well.

Gordon looked real good. He needs to get the ball more. If Goodwin hits four more shots we would all be saying he had a great game. He did everything else but shoot well. Rammer and Earl thought he had a god game.

The better team won. We won't play anyone close to as good until the NCAA tournammet.

3 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

This team should not be bad. That's on the coaching staff.

They aren’t bad.

They were over hyped, not just on this board but by both local and national writers.

They also suffered some losses that we under played. Santos, Welmer, and Elliot arent playing I don’t think we ever admitted how bad those losses were going to hurt.

They also have a poor roster construction. No point guard no shooters and to many similar players.

The Bills are a good A10 team but when they play national powers they are going to get steamrolled 9 times out of 10.

The season isn’t a loss. I may be crazy but I still think they can win the A10 and go dancing.

FSU is a final 4 quality team. I’m not going to let that slaughtering dash my hopes for a successful run this year.

Zink likes this

29 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, I prefer seeing the rotation guys still in the game in a blowout. Let them either wear it or continue to compete and hopefully do some good things (which Thatch really did).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. We don't have to agree.

I'd like to see a token 'thank you for your effort guys', to the bench players who put in hard work every day.  Getting into the box scores is likely a big deal to them.  

14 minutes ago, dlarry said:

They aren’t bad.

They were over hyped, not just on this board but by both local and national writers.

They also suffered some losses that we under played. Santos, Welmer, and Elliot arent playing I don’t think we ever admitted how bad those losses were going to hurt.

They also have a poor roster construction. No point guard no shooters and to many similar players.

The Bills are a good A10 team but when they play national powers they are going to get steamrolled 9 times out of 10.

The season isn’t a loss. I may be crazy but I still think they can win the A10 and go dancing.

FSU is a final 4 quality team. I’m not going to let that slaughtering dash my hopes for a successful run this year.

Excellent post, I think this is the right take. Our offense is just totally non-existent and that’s because pretty much our entire rotation (minus Wiley) excels at bully-ball, meaning we can’t spread the floor whatsoever. We need to spend a little less time in the weight room and a lot more time in the gym. Believe it or not, but you have to make shots to win basketball games. 

Our shooting isn’t going to get any better.  Yeah, Wiley coming back will help some, but one guy that will get 20 mpg game at most isn’t going to fix what’s is wrong with the offense. 

We need to ditch whatever was the plan going into the season and take advantage of the athleticism on the roster.  We need to start playing a full court game for much of the game.

Zink and HenryB like this