Fla St over the Bills by 6

The Wiz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

This is a must win if we want to have a chance at an auto-bid. Let go Bills!

i think you mean an at large bid.    auto bid means winning in Brooklyn in March.   

i totally agree our at large bid will still be possible with a win tomorrow.   if we lose tomorrow, a 70 NET wont cut it.   probably the highest at large will be under 50.   and with a possibility that the first place A10 winner will be a 70 NET just wont happen.  

now we havent seen how the NET will work.  i am assuming the rankings wont be all that different than rpi but we shall see if a monster A-10 record, with maybe just 3 or less losses against very mediocre to bad teams like the a-10 is shaping up to be will still pull that good of a ranking.   i am doubting it will.   we need to win tomorrow.

Adman likes this

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

This is a must win if we want to have a chance at an auto-bid. Let go Bills!

You're confusing the terminology.

An automatic bid is the result of winning the conference tournament.  That's the only criterion.

At-large bids are awarded by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee based on criteria of the members' choosing.  A win over FSU would help SLU's chances for an at-large bid.

(Forgive me if someone else has already made this clear after Page 1.)

6 hours ago, Littlebill said:

It is in the same state - if FGCU played Kansas anywhere in the state of Kansas, it wouldn't be neutral

FWIW, KU's win percentage is like 15 points lower at the Sprint center in KC than at Allen Field House. Still not really neutral, but definitely not the same advantage as playing in your home court. 

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

You're confusing the terminology.

An automatic bid is the result of winning the conference tournament.  That's the only criterion.

At-large bids are awarded by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee based on criteria of the members' choosing.  A win over FSU would help SLU's chances for an at-large bid.

(Forgive me if someone else has already made this clear after Page 1.)

Oops I meant at large. Thanks for correcting me haha 

9 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Something I've always wondered. What contributes most to a home court advantage? Surely the crowd plays some sort of role, meaning a non-neutral crowd on a neutral court will be slightly more like a home game. But do the actual physical attributions of the court count more? Background behind the net, weird reflections from a particular light, etc?

9 hours ago, SShoe said:

Pomeroy did some analysis on this a few years back. IIRC, he attributed it mostly to the refs.   

ESPN highlighted some similar research a few years back that attributed home field/court advantage primarily to the effect (conscious or unconscious) that the crowd has on the refs.  This was especially true in baseball and basketball.

1 hour ago, rgbilliken said:

FWIW, KU's win percentage is like 15 points lower at the Sprint center in KC than at Allen Field House. Still not really neutral, but definitely not the same advantage as playing in your home court. 

That could have a lot to do with who they play in Lawrence vs KC. Generally the KC games are against high(er) quality opposition. 

rgbilliken likes this

21 minutes ago, ARon said:

Biggest upset of this season might be finding any situation in which Thor or Isabell actually smile.

5D64A298-8B58-429E-B171-C64EEF803E30.jpeg

Who's the mafia hitman looking guy that is always courtside with the good doctor?  He's three people over from the doc (left when looking at picture). Love that guy.

brianstl and Spoon-Balls like this

While this is continuing to be a bit off topic.....Here is an interesting article that discusses NCAA BB home field advantage and then lists all D-1 teams in order of advantage 

https://www.boydsbets.com/college-basketball-home-court-advantage/

A few interesting notes....The Bills come in at 81st with  4.17 pts

Others of interest.....Pitt....255th....2.7 pts.......could have been the difference

...................................SIU....156th....3.59 pts........almost

...................................Hou....14th.....5.41 pts...again , could have been the difference

btw...while KU comes in at a nice 23rd place....it's advantage is 5.18 pts....while a big advantage, it is a far cry from 15 pts.

Denver's high altitude captures the #1 spot with 7.03 pts.

rgbilliken likes this

Very familiar with BB&T as we lived in South FL and my company was a sponsor of the Arena. We moved to Lakewood Ranch, FL a couple years ago. Never attended this double header and had hoped to attend this year, but the timing didn't workout. We'll be watching and hoping for a Bills win VS FSU. I would hope that we keep this game in the 60's which should be our best chance for a win. 

Injury update....

12/19.....Wiley....Questionable....Thigh....unknown if he will play against FSU

12/20....Cofer.....Questionable...Foot...undetermined if he will play against SLU....Star forward who has been out all season....made his debut against SEMO 2 games ago ....played 5 min....sat out the next game....

12/21....Walker...Questionable...Ankle...Unclear if he will play against SLU....FSU starting guard...would be a big loss to FSU if he doesn't play.

16 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

We are 1-11 all time versus Florida State.  Time to start tipping that scale our way.  

Anyone see any of the old games v FSU in the Metro Conference?  Last meeting was 1/23/1982. @billiken_roy, you were there right?😁

Ha, this will date me, I recall the 1st game we ever played FL State. It was 01/04/72. We lost by 1, 62-63. That year FL State went to the NCAA Finals and lost to a John Wooden UCLA team by 5.

For that year we had junior Harry Rogers. For me, one of the best players to put on a Billiken uniform. Only if Harry had a 3pt line and a freshmen season, no one would be touching his records.  

Zink, almaman and HoosierPal like this

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Injury update....

12/19.....Wiley....Questionable....Thigh....unknown if he will play against FSU

12/20....Cofer.....Questionable...Foot...undetermined if he will play against SLU....Star forward who has been out all season....made his debut against SEMO 2 games ago ....played 5 min....sat out the next game....

12/21....Walker...Questionable...Ankle...Unclear if he will play against SLU....FSU starting guard...would be a big loss to FSU if he doesn't play.

In addition, Welmer is officially off crutches.  Still recovering, but the team has set a goal for him to be game-ready by February.  

Credit to Welmer for never giving up on his basketball career after injury and injury again.  A truly passionate player.

Kid deserves to get a few more games under his belt, and to take part in a magical run in March.

14 minutes ago, TheOne said:

In addition, Welmer is officially off crutches.  Still recovering, but the team has set a goal for him to be game-ready by February.  

Credit to Welmer for never giving up on his basketball career after injury and injury again.  A truly passionate player.

Kid deserves to get a few more games under his belt, and to take part in a magical run in March.

I am glad to hear Welmer is off the crutches.

20 minutes ago, TheOne said:

😳 

I’m definitely pulling for him.  Not necessarily because it would be a boost to the team (it will be if he’s healthy), but for the reasons you said above.  

39 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Thanks for the update....Didn't mean to slight him ....With the status of Out Indefinitely, he just fell off the list.  If he can get healthy,  he can contribute some valuable minutes down the stretch.

1 hour ago, TheOne said:

Holy fuok. They must have gotten that magic spray trainers in the Premier League use. 

17 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

This is a must win if we want to have a chance at an at-large. Let go Bills!

17 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i totally agree our at large bid will still be possible with a win tomorrow.   if we lose tomorrow, a 70 NET wont cut it.   probably the highest at large will be under 50.   and with a possibility that the first place A10 winner will be a 70 NET just wont happen.  

now we havent seen how the NET will work.  i am assuming the rankings wont be all that different than rpi but we shall see if a monster A-10 record, with maybe just 3 or less losses against very mediocre to bad teams like the a-10 is shaping up to be will still pull that good of a ranking.   i am doubting it will.   we need to win tomorrow.

The Bonnies lost 4 of their first 6 conference games last year after pre-season losses to Niagara and TCU (a tourney team). They also had a couple of pre-season wins over middling P5 teams - Syracuse (who got one of the 4 last bids) and Maryland (no bid). Syracuse ended up taking a tournament run, but that's beside the point. 

So, sure, a win today would help a lot. But nothing is set in stone before conference play has even started. 

34 minutes ago, Compton said:

The Bonnies lost 4 of their first 6 conference games last year after pre-season losses to Niagara and TCU (a tourney team). They also had a couple of pre-season wins over middling P5 teams - Syracuse (who got one of the 4 last bids) and Maryland (no bid). Syracuse ended up taking a tournament run, but that's beside the point. 

So, sure, a win today would help a lot. But nothing is set in stone before conference play has even started. 

The A10 was a lot stronger last year.