Stu 351 ??

The Wiz

Someone needs to give me a hand here and explain what is going on....I saw the  Stu tweet on the front of the Billiken board. He is talking about how the Bills are 349 out of 351 teams in foul shooting.   Except there are 353 teams in D-1.  What happened to the other 2 teams....He mentioned Ryder and Manhattan as being worse....so I am guessing E Mich at 54.7% is one of the missing teams since there are 3 teams behind us  after  this game. (Bills at  350  after tonight's stats)  So that means there is a team in front of us that is also missing.  I hope it is not #1 Hofstra who is shooting 81%....Maybe we should recruit some of them. Can you imagine if we had a whole team of 81% FT shooters.....Billiken heads would explode.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Someone needs to give me a hand here and explain what is going on....I saw the  Stu tweet on the front of the Billiken board. He is talking about how the Bills are 349 out of 351 teams in foul shooting.   Except there are 353 teams in D-1.  What happened to the other 2 teams....He mentioned Ryder and Manhattan as being worse....so I am guessing E Mich at 54.7% is one of the missing teams since there are 3 teams behind us  after  this game. (Bills at  350  after tonight's stats)  So that means there is a team in front of us that is also missing.  I hope it is not #1 Hofstra who is shooting 81%....Maybe we should recruit some of them. Can you imagine if we had a whole team of 81% FT shooters.....Billiken heads would explode.

If we shot 81% on FTs, we’d probably be undefeated, no?

I assume Stu simply didn't read the table correctly.

I have 30 years of Billiken team records. Our current FT% of 58.3% is the worse in the past three decades. Majerus' 2009-10 team (CBI team) is the current low man on the totem pole at 61.9%.  Topping the list is Spoon's 1st team, 1992-93, which hit 72.7%.

Is there a moral to this story?  the 2009-10 team went 23-13 while Spoon's squad went 12-17.  Base on two data points, it looks like FT% isn't a good indicator of overall record.  So as we keep bricking 'em, there is hope.

5 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

If we shot 81% on FTs, we’d probably be undefeated, no?

Pitt...3 extra pts...Win

SIU....4 extra pts....Lose

Hou...5 extra pts....Win

4 extra pts during the SIU game in a 5 pt loss might have changed the outcome

So the answer is  either 10-1....or 11-0

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I assume Stu simply didn't read the table correctly.

I have 30 years of Billiken team records. Our current FT% of 58.3% is the worse in the past three decades. Majerus' 2009-10 team (CBI team) is the current low man on the totem pole at 61.9%.  Topping the list is Spoon's 1st team, 1992-93, which hit 72.7%.

Is there a moral to this story?  the 2009-10 team went 23-13 while Spoon's squad went 12-17.  Base on two data points, it looks like FT% isn't a good indicator of overall record.  So as we keep bricking 'em, there is hope.

If you play lots of close games...our current team plays to the competition....then FT shooting is a an important factor.

HoosierPal likes this

35 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

If we made 81% Free Throws in all the games we lost, the scores would be:

SLU beats Pitt 76-75

SIU beats SLU 61-60

SLU beats Houston 69-68

Obviously the way teams splayed would have changed though

That is not correct....

in the SIU game which we lost 61-56...we shot 4 of 9......to get to 81% we would have needed to be 8 of 9 (88% )...4 extra points....we still lose 61-60

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That is not correct....

in the SIU game which we lost 61-56...we shot 4 of 9......to get to 81% we would have needed to be 8 of 9 (88% )...4 extra points....we still lose 61-60

I suspect there were some 1-and-1s where we missed the front end, which would muddy things up as well.

billiken_roy likes this

27 minutes ago, St. Lunatic said:

Just talked about this with a friend of a friend who knows a guy whose brother-in-law knows a thing or two about this. He said there are two teams that are "in transition" to DI and don't count in the national stats. 

North Alabama, which we played earlier this season, and California Baptist.

It was 351 last season. These two can't play in the postseason but everything I've seen stat-wise so far includes them.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

North Alabama, which we played earlier this season, and California Baptist.

It was 351 last season. These two can't play in the postseason but everything I've seen stat-wise so far includes them.

I agree ....these are D-1 teams and are fully included in the stats this year...These 2 new teams make us look worse.......Cal Bap...B+.......N Al...B-

Is there a link to what you're talking about? It seems like maybe a typo based on last year's number (which had been the number for a while) stuck in his head.

Side note: it'll be 352 next season, as Savannah State is dropping back down to D-II. I think they will have only competed in D-I for 19 or 20 seasons, and it wasn't the financial boon they'd hoped it'd be. Just didn't have the resources to stay competitive, even in a lower-tier conference.

California Baptist will be in the WAC for now. That's truly the weirdest conference in D-I, basically a pack of strays, and nothing even close to what it used to be.

North Alabama is in the Atlantic Sun, which also added Liberty from the Big South this season; Liberty swapped places with USC-Upstate, in what looks like a lateral move for both schools (football motivated, maybe?). Hampton also went to the Big South, a step up from the MEAC. And while we're at it, North Dakota left the Big Sky for the Summit, which now has all four D-I schools from the Dakotas, to keep all those intense rivalries in one spot.

More-You-Know.gif

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Is there a link to what you're talking about? It seems like maybe a typo based on last year's number (which had been the number for a while) stuck in his head.

Side note: it'll be 352 next season, as Savannah State is dropping back down to D-II. I think they will have only competed in D-I for 19 or 20 seasons, and it wasn't the financial boon they'd hoped it'd be. Just didn't have the resources to stay competitive, even in a lower-tier conference.

California Baptist will be in the WAC for now. That's truly the weirdest conference in D-I, basically a pack of strays, and nothing even close to what it used to be.

North Alabama is in the Atlantic Sun, which also added Liberty from the Big South this season; Liberty swapped places with USC-Upstate, in what looks like a lateral move for both schools (football motivated, maybe?). Hampton also went to the Big South, a step up from the MEAC. And while we're at it, North Dakota left the Big Sky for the Summit, which now has all four D-I schools from the Dakotas, to keep all those intense rivalries in one spot.

More-You-Know.gif

I was reading the twitter on the front page of Billiken board....Stu talks about 351....you may be right ...he may be using last year's number.

349 out of 351 or 349 out of 353 both stink like the whale shite on the bottom of the ocean. 

These guys look defeated when they step to the line.  Time to bring in a shrink if they haven't already.

Losing is a disease.......

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

1 hour ago, St. Lunatic said:

I just googled "NCAA Men's Basketball Stats" and got this page from the NCAA website: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/150

It doesn't say anything about the two transitioning teams, but it does only list 351...

North Alabama and California Baptist, the two new D-I programs, are indeed missing from these stats. Kinda weird, no? They're D-I members, just not postseason eligible yet. All stats for and against them count.

Edit: UNA shoots .680 from the line and Cal Bap shoots .767 (this would tie them for 17th in the country), so adding them to the 351 listed by the NCAA official stats doesn't do anything to help SLU. At .595, we'd be 351/353.

I'm thankful for Rider (.551) and Manhattan (.542).