Coach on the Radio - Tuesday with Travis + Other Radio

HoosierPal

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

They will be honoring Elliott Welmer.  Coach said "We don't know what his basketball future is going forward, so they want to include him just in case". 

Wait, so Welmer may be back next year??

Welmer is not out of eligibility.  It makes sense to keep all your options open until the writing is on the wall in indelible ink.  Last I heard this was a Bill Walton-esque foot injury and career ending.  The fact that he is out there in the layup lien is one thing, so too is him starting tomorrow night and getting three minutes, but as for a whole season of foot-pounding action at the D1 level, I'd say no way.  I just hope they come to a decision that frees up the scholarship after all this time.

On 2/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, brianstl said:

Thatch needs to start every game the rest of the season.  He has been the second best player on the team behind Bess in conference play according to advance stats.  It isn't only a building for the future thing, it gives us the best chance to win now.

You still say this after Isabell's last four games?  Okay.  Won't happen. Thatch over Isabell doesn't give us the best chance to win now. 

Thatch has averaged 25 minutes per game over the past four games and he brings intensity.  That's darn close to starters minutes already.  Love the kid.  But he isn't going to make this team better by sitting Isabell.   Isabell has scored 79 points in the last four games, 16 assists and 9 turnovers.  He pretty much brought the ball up against VCU.  

Practice, are we talking about practice?  Practice?

Littlebill likes this

You still say this after Isabell's last four games?  Okay.  Won't happen. Thatch over Isabell doesn't give us the best chance to win now. 

Thatch has averaged 25 minutes per game over the past four games and he brings intensity.  That's darn close to starters minutes already.  Love the kid.  But he isn't going to make this team better by sitting Isabell.   Isabell has scored 79 points in the last four games, 16 assists and 9 turnovers.  He pretty much brought the ball up against VCU.  

I was planning to respond to that post myself sometime today.  It figures that after my post he would follow up the good game at Dayton with 2 more efficient games.  Add in the LaSalle game and that is four efficient games in a row.  In the 10 prior games he shot 33.7% overall, 15.4% from the the 3 and averaged less than a point per FG attempt.  He was awful and showed no signs all year that he could put four games in a row together like this.  This is the best four game stretch Isabell has had all year. Let's hope it continues because we are a much better team when Isabell can consistently perform as an efficient player on offense.

HoosierPal likes this

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Senior Night:  Adding the extra emotion when you are trying to prepare for a critical game.  Tough part of the game is the routine is so different for the players, family is in, emotions of last game, etc.  Doing the ceremony after the game.  First place Coach has done it after the game.  'It's the tradition here."  "It might take away some of the emotion at the start of the game."  

I don't think it's fair to call it "tradition" here. It only started that way with Majerus. We should do it before the game. This shouldn't be a hard thing to change.

Interesting that he calls the missed front end of a one-and-one "0 for 2". Soderberg counted those as turnovers.

drkelsey55 and willie like this

Had hit this point real quick.  No we are not talking about practice when it comes to Thatch.  Over the last 9 games, Thatch has shot 50% overall, 36.8% from the 3 and 66.7% from 2.  Over the last 9 games no one on the team has shot the ball better overall, from 2 or from 3 than Thatch.

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't think it's fair to call it "tradition" here. It only started that way with Majerus. We should do it before the game. This shouldn't be a hard thing to change.

Interesting that he calls the missed front end of a one-and-one "0 for 2". Soderberg counted those as turnovers.

-reasonable minds can differ

13 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Hey old people......DON'T LEAVE AT THE THREE MINUTE MARK.  STICK AROUND FOR THE SENIORS.  YOU'LL STILL GET HOME IN TIME TO WATCH MATLOCK ON YOUR DVR.  YOUR GREAT GRAND KIDS WILL TELL YOU HOW.....

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Welmer is not out of eligibility.  It makes sense to keep all your options open until the writing is on the wall in indelible ink.  Last I heard this was a Bill Walton-esque foot injury and career ending.  The fact that he is out there in the layup lien is one thing, so too is him starting tomorrow night and getting three minutes, but as for a whole season of foot-pounding action at the D1 level, I'd say no way.  I just hope they come to a decision that frees up the scholarship after all this time.

His schollie is totally controlled by Ford/SLU.  They are one year renewable so all Ford has to do is not renew it.  Welmer can then go some place else and play as a GT or go division 2.  We have no more obligation to the kid - we have been more than fair to him - in my opinion - time for him to move on with his life. I know injuries are not his fault but you have to play the hand you are dealt in life.   He can go get a job with his two degrees or do what I said above..  Elliot, thanks for the memories!

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I am acquainted with several ex players. One in particular in the Spoon era said that he was an emotional mess during the first half of his senior night game, back when the ceremony was pre game. He definitely would have preferred post game as he said it affected his performance. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Had hit this point real quick.  No we are not talking about practice when it comes to Thatch.  Over the last 9 games, Thatch has shot 50% overall, 36.8% from the 3 and 66.7% from 2.  Over the last 9 games no one on the team has shot the ball better overall, from 2 or from 3 than Thatch.

Like I said, I love Thatch and his game. We don't lose anything (except height) when he comes in.  I'm not a coach, but two things I hope he works on this summer are his ball handling and a minor tweak on defense.  First, I can't recall but maybe a dozen times he has brought the ball up court.  We need him to be able to handle the VCU press type situations.  We need him to be able to drive and dish, as Isabell and Goodwin do.  His move Saturday on the baseline, for two, was what we need more of.  

On D, it seems to me he reaches too much.  He plays superb on ball defense, but a good portion of his fouls are due to reaching in for the ball when he doesn't need to.  His foul rate per 40 minutes is too high; it's up there with Foreman's.  Bess doesn't reach like Thatch does.   I think this is just a teaching item that Ford will get through to him on.

Just my two cents.  Really looking forward to Thatch taking a big step forward for next season.

moytoy12 and brianstl like this

1 minute ago, willie said:

Thatch's block on the GMU breakout was one of the best Billiken defensive plays ever. His elevation was spectacular. 

reminds me of someone....

Tuesday with Travis, March 5.

George Mason game first; repeated he liked the first 35 minutes, not they way they closed.  But he did like the 81 points. 

He highlighted DJ Foreman's performance.  Coach said he knew DJ was playing well, but after watching the film, saw the influence he was making.  Defended the post extremely well, and did the little things that went unnoticed.  "When DJ plays well, our team plays well." 

Coach said they do chart the 'little things', called 'making  plays', deflections, blocked shots, steals, taking a charge, diving on a 50/50 ball. Coach gives marks for all of these. They still give out the rebound award and now have a toughness award.  They have a challenged shot percentage.  They chart all shots by opponents and want to challenge with a hand up on 80% of the shots. 

Top 4 still up for grabs. He talked about this briefly with the team yesterday.  But he doesn't  want to make too big a deal, as if they don't finish top 4, doesn't want the team to think they can't win the tourney.  Likes the fact that they are playing two teams ahead of them.  Opponents have the same Top 4 goal, so games will be tough.

Senior Night:  This is his 22nd Senior Night.  You have been through so much, good and bad, you have been apart of each other's life.  On Senior Night, it's not  like 'the end' but you know it is their last game in that arena.  Some SN's, seniors didn't recover from the ceremony to play well.  Other's the seniors elevated their game.  

DJ Foreman was the first to commit to Ford after he came to SLU.  Said his up and down playing has been somewhat due to his injuries here at SLU.  

Javon Bess, "He is all about the right things".  Has made himself into one of the top players in the A10.  A model of consistency and a leader.  

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/tuesdays-with-travis-march-5-2019/

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Hey old people......DON'T LEAVE AT THE THREE MINUTE MARK.  STICK AROUND FOR THE SENIORS.  YOU'LL STILL GET HOME IN TIME TO WATCH MATLOCK ON YOUR DVR.  YOUR GREAT GRAND KIDS WILL TELL YOU HOW.....

fixed for attention for those that maybe just dont pay close enough attention. 

cgeldmacher likes this

I am acquainted with several ex players. One in particular in the Spoon era said that he was an emotional mess during the first half of his senior night game, back when the ceremony was pre game. He definitely would have preferred post game as he said it affected his performance. 

the only thing i dont like about post game is as billiken rich so well defined, are the actual non fans rushing to beat the traffic and wont stay around after for the proper send off.  

my gosh folks, we just saw two of the best transfer years ever with what javon bess gave us at least stay around and try to make him cry with thunderous support    please!

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the only thing i dont like about post game is as billiken rich so well defined, are the actual non fans rushing to beat the traffic and wont stay around after for the proper send off.  

my gosh folks, we just saw two of the best transfer years ever with what javon bess gave us at least stay around and try to make him cry with thunderous support    please!

Hear!  Hear! 

imo while wednesday is a must win night, javon bess is about the best thing that has happened to billiken basketball in about 5 years and we need to make it the best ever for the young man.